Localized Names

Elinor Cross

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tharja also seems like a variant of Indian name Tharaja, which means "Star with Full Glow". That's actually kinda cute.

Tharja I think is also a middle eastern name, based on a google search... Lol

Ricken is German/Dutch for Powerful

Nowi means 'one who knows all' and is a boy's name XD

Might be, Rick is the closest name to Ricken in dutch.

Tharja sounds like a female Thor to me.

Edited by pyromatic

Olivia kept her name, yay^^

Gregor, Nowi and Ricken sound like awesome localizations to me.

Tharja made me go "...how do you say that?" Now I see it's like 'Sariya' only with a 'Th' sound.

Holy Kingdom of Iris-->Halidom of Ylisse: sounds like a pretty cool name for a nation, I already like this localization^^

Watch Nn's name end up being Noyu

I see what you did there.

Well thanks guys for the name clarification. I kept on thinking Tharja is pronounced as it literally looks and not Thar-ya. I do hope they keep Tiamo's name the way it is.

Edited by Naui

I'm a bit confused as to why they changed Sariya/Sallya to "Tharja." Well, beggars can't be choosers, but I wish it could have been better.

I like the name Nowi for Nono. At least it actually means something now. I wonder if they'll give the same treatment to Nn.

Gregor is not a bad name, but it'll take awhile for me to get used to him talking like Devdan. Gah.

Ricken isn't a bad name, either. I kind of thought they'd give him the name "Richter," but this is just as good.

I am so glad they kept Olivia the same. I think we're 3 for whatever the number is in terms of how many people got their names completely changed through localization (seeing as Frederick and Flavia kept their names).

Not a bad set, but there's some confusion amongst these. I don't care what they do to everyone else, but if they bastardize Tiamo, Basilio, Gangrel, Valhart, Libera, or Wood, I'm going to be pissed.

Edited by Karaszure

I'm a bit confused as to why they changed Sariya/Sallya to "Tharja." Well, beggars can't be choosers, but I wish it could have been better.

It's completely legit.

Japanese katakana S sounds can be used for Th sounds. Like I said, it's COMPLETELY legit.

Default name for My Unit is Robin.

Possible reference to Isaac's Japanese name in Golden Sun?

Or it could be a Batman reference. I don't think it's supposed to be anything other than a gender ambiguous name.

It's completely legit.

Japanese katakana S sounds can be used for Th sounds. Like I said, it's COMPLETELY legit.

Take Marth, for example. The katakana for his name are actually ma-ru-su.

Which, by the way, could be romanized about 10 different ways even if you disregard the final "u".

Edited by Paper Jam

Take Marth, for example. The katakana for his name are actually ma-ru-su.

Which, by the way, could be romanized about 10 different ways even if you disregard the final "u".

Like how he was Mars in the English version of that old OVA.