Gameplay Discussion

grandjackal

Well I know some people on here have gotten their hands on Japanese copies of the game, and I figured I'd ask what it's like. Is it more lax like some of the GBA games or even as lax as FE3? Or is it a bit more bonecrushing and teeth gnashing like FE11 and 12? Is it at least fun with it's challenge (my biggest problem with 11 and 12)? Is there nice character variety that comes with the skill system, or are a good chunk of characters so boned like in 12 where it feels like they threw their hands up and said fuck trying? How is the skill system? Works well? Has flaws? Etc.

For those of you who have played it on Lunatic or Insane or Skullfuck mode, whatever they're deciding to call it now, how is it? Any one character in particular stand out above the rest? Have the armors finally eaten their Wheaties? Does the first archer you get continue the tradition of sucking legendarily bad? Have any mages decided to actually be useful, something that feels like hasn't happened in ages? Does Sully in fact punch all the faces and destroy all the ass?

As for anyone else perhaps wanting to discuss a bit more in-depth about the gameplay, suppose it can be held here. Personally though, just asking questions cause I am definitely going to get this game.

From having played Lunatic/Insane three times now. It takes getting used to the double mechanic once you've done that you'll probably find it fun if you like challenge.

For the most part almost all the characters are at least usable, just in different ways, some short term others long term depending on skills(some characters you'll just have reach 10/5 for the Cry skills, or have some Children inherit multiple support skills[like Rainbow Cry]) and be good for the rest of the game or stat growths, double bonuses etc... Though you'll note it's just not feasible use every early joining low levelled character in the same team(so you won't be able do Lunatic with a team of Stahl,Sully,Mirel,Cullum,Vaike,Sumia,Richt,Mariable from the start to finish).

The later joining characters are the reverse of FE12, a lot of the later joining unit are up to par and perhaps ahead of your average characters. All the Pre-promotes(with Frederick depending on how much you used him) will be more likely on your team than not.

MU and Chrom are obviously two of your better units. On my third play through I found Velvet(Panne) is ridiculously good(Even better than MU and Chrom) provided she reaches level 10 by the time you get a change seal and make her a Dracoknight, which also makes Chambray pretty good as a result(though you need a Childrens chapter to reclass him to Barbarian->Berserker).

I'll just break down your questions and give opinions. Excuse me for the lack of quote tags.

>Is it more lax like some of the GBA games or even as lax as FE3?

It's very lax, if you are lax on yourself. With grinding, the game gets easy. Without grinding, things would get very difficult in Lunatic.

>Or is it a bit more bonecrushing and teeth gnashing like FE11 and 12?

It won't be that difficult, unless you artificially impose restrictions on your playthrough.

>Is it at least fun with its challenge (my biggest problem with 11 and 12)?

It is going to be fun. You have to think in some situations, but it won't be as hopeless as FE12. Or FE9 Maniac when you focus too much on a few units and realize Chapter 24 is much more difficult than the chapters before, forcing you to give up the entire playthrough and restart from Prologue.

>Is there nice character variety that comes with the skill system, or are a good chunk of characters so boned like in 12 where it feels like they threw their hands up and said fuck trying?

Characters are more varied, filled with personalities and such. Some do feel like traditional anime character archetypes that they appear boring, but they all keep their distinct identity well. FE12's "some characters look the same" issue won't happen here.

>How is the skill system? Works well? Has flaws?

Pro: This essentially gives characters their own set of skills, so you can make decision based on that. Two all-maxed characters won't be the same because they have different skill sets.

Con: This means classes lose part of their charms. Lethality is no longer limited to assassins, so you can create a murderous sorceror without thinking about returning to assassin ever again, for example.

>For those of you who have played it on Lunatic or Insane or Skullfuck mode, whatever they're deciding to call it now, how is it?

Since I do DLC-grind, my thoughts are almost the complete opposite from arvilino's. Before you get any access to DLC, Frederick (teaming with Chrom, or Kellam once you get him) will prove to be very valuable. After you get DLC, the mental pressure gets lower becaus you can have an escape route if your team fails, unlike (again) FE9.

>Any one character in particular stand out above the rest?

Gameplay-wise, early on it'd be your very own Avatar for having high growth. I'd say Miriel too, for being a mage with decent speed. Later on, the characters you can recruit in the later sidequests tend to stand out more, both in terms of character personality and gameplay statistics (if you plan to continue playing after beating it).

>Have the armors finally eaten their Wheaties?

One of this game's characteristics is that the features of the classes are more apparent. Armored units have rather high defenses that make them impenetratable for the early enemy myrmidons. They're good, although they will eventually be replaced by units with high defense AND other advantages.

>Does the first archer you get continue the tradition of sucking legendarily bad?

Archers seem to be more useful this time around, due to everyone being usable. No more WQ ("Wolt Quality" as coined by some Japanese players). And speaking of that, Wolt will return as one of the past-game characters, and will be the worst across all characters from past games, perhaps in reference to this.

>Have any mages decided to actually be useful, something that feels like hasn't happened in ages?

Mages are useful. Can do both direct and ranged attacks, enemies have low resistance, and most importantly, some mages actually have decent defense (until they hit the cap, anyway).

>Does Sully in fact punch all the faces and destroy all the ass?

Stahl seems more useful than Sully. Sully lacks power and, more importantly, defense.

It's weird but sully often avoids being doubled, yet doesn't do enough damage or have the defense to live through things. Her stats are generally balanced. Stahl tends to have really lopsided stats, and in all my files twice as much defense and strength as speed... So he gets doubled and mages have his way with him but he doesn't take much damage at all. He dishes out damage like no other though.

Also the thing with Virion (the first archer) is the general problem with many other early game units: they take forever to double or do 2RKO damage. Virion got a little more shafted in this sense, because he doesn't have EP combat. His stats are unique though and I can imagine he would be an effective dark knight that can use both weapon types.

Btw mages, especially strategists and dark mages/sorcerers, are amazing in this game. There is no reason not to have one on your team. On the flip side, enemy mages are brutal and not to be taken lightly.

Edited by Lord Raven

>Is it more lax like some of the GBA games or even as lax as FE3?

It's very lax, if you are lax on yourself. With grinding, the game gets easy. Without grinding, things would get very difficult in Lunatic.

Good to hear, means I can play on my terms. One thing I hate about FE12, is that it's basically got a gun to your head at all times.

>Is there nice character variety that comes with the skill system, or are a good chunk of characters so boned like in 12 where it feels like they threw their hands up and said fuck trying?

Characters are more varied, filled with personalities and such. Some do feel like traditional anime character archetypes that they appear boring, but they all keep their distinct identity well. FE12's "some characters look the same" issue won't happen here.

Well I meant a bit more in the sense of...Well, kind of been wanting to avoid the word really, but character balance. Like, are a good amount of units at least usable? Not necessarily amazing, but usable?

>How is the skill system? Works well? Has flaws?

Pro: This essentially gives characters their own set of skills, so you can make decision based on that. Two all-maxed characters won't be the same because they have different skill sets.

Con: This means classes lose part of their charms. Lethality is no longer limited to assassins, so you can create a murderous sorceror without thinking about returning to assassin ever again, for example.

Assassins use Bows in this game don't they? I dunno, it sounds like I'd still use them over let's say Sniper.

>Have the armors finally eaten their Wheaties?

One of this game's characteristics is that the features of the classes are more apparent. Armored units have rather high defenses that make them impenetratable for the early enemy myrmidons. They're good, although they will eventually be replaced by units with high defense AND other advantages.

Just the fact they have a use is good enough for me. I'm gonna use Kellam long term though, that's just a thing that's going to happen.

>Does the first archer you get continue the tradition of sucking legendarily bad?

Archers seem to be more useful this time around, due to everyone being usable. No more WQ ("Wolt Quality" as coined by some Japanese players). And speaking of that, Wolt will return as one of the past-game characters, and will be the worst across all characters from past games, perhaps in reference to this.

Lol, Wolt Quality.

It's weird but sully often avoids being doubled, yet doesn't do enough damage or have the defense to live through things. Her stats are generally balanced. Stahl tends to have really lopsided stats, and in all my files twice as much defense and strength as speed... So he gets doubled and mages have his way with him but he doesn't take much damage at all. He dishes out damage like no other though.

Sounds pretty odd. Suppose I'll have to give them their runs, since I've learned through other games in the series it's best to just spoil one and dump the other. Gonna give Sully her chance first though. Ich wolle das Speed.

Also the thing with Virion (the first archer) is the general problem with many other early game units: they take forever to double or do 2RKO damage. Virion got a little more shafted in this sense, because he doesn't have EP combat. His stats are unique though and I can imagine he would be an effective dark knight that can use both weapon types.

An Archer becoming a Mage Knght who uses magic and...Lances IIRC? Wouldn't weapon ranks kind of get in the way?

Btw mages, especially strategists and dark mages/sorcerers, are amazing in this game. There is no reason not to have one on your team. On the flip side, enemy mages are brutal and not to be taken lightly.

I'm so happy to hear that dark mages are finally getting their time in the limelight. Just hope it's not an initial reactions sort of thing. Was definitely going in with the intention of using Sahria and Henri.

Thanks for the responses though guys! Just wanted some more insight on things, cause I remember getting FE12 and feeling like I payed money to have myself strangled, and I'm happy to hear that FE13 isn't quite so heavy handed. I mean don't get me wrong, FE12 is a well made game...Just don't think I'd want to get another game that tries so hard to murder you dead.

Just don't think I'd want to get another game that tries so hard to murder you dead.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Well I meant a bit more in the sense of...Well, kind of been wanting to avoid the word really, but character balance. Like, are a good amount of units at least usable? Not necessarily amazing, but usable?

"Usable", yeah most of them are. I'd say Donnel is initially awful (try making him attack a full-health non-archer enemy without getting badly hurt or dead). Maybe Mariabell (becuase you get Lissa earlier) and Licht (mage with low speed) as well. Do try to use all of them, however, for reasons that should be considered spoiler for now.

Assassins use Bows in this game don't they? I dunno, it sounds like I'd still use them over let's say Sniper.

Yes. They're basically snipers plus Lethality, plus sword, plus speed, and minus defense.

An Archer becoming a Mage Knght who uses magic and...Lances IIRC? Wouldn't weapon ranks kind of get in the way?

They use magic and swords. There is a class that uses swords and bows, called Bow Knight. Virion can reclass to both.

I'm so happy to hear that dark mages are finally getting their time in the limelight. Just hope it's not an initial reactions sort of thing. Was definitely going in with the intention of using Sahria and Henri.

Dark mages are popular because of a few things: High defense and resistance, Vengeance, and there are two types of dark tome that can absorb enemy HP. (HP sapping will get in the way of Vengeance, however.) This makes them really, really good tanks.

They can reclass to Dark Knights (despite the name, they're basically FE4/5 Mage Knights and therefore cannot use dark), which gives them the ability to restore half HP when initiating a kill. Which makes them even better tanks, because in case dark tome sapping fails, you can heal them by making them kill even more.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Dark mages are popular because of a few things: High defense and resistance, Vengeance, and there are two types of dark tome that can absorb enemy HP. (HP sapping will get in the way of Vengeance, however.) This makes them really, really good tanks.

They can reclass to Dark Knights (despite the name, they're basically FE4/5 Mage Knights and therefore cannot use dark), which gives them the ability to restore half HP when initiating a kill. Which makes them even better tanks, because in case dark tome sapping fails, you can heal them by making them kill even more.

Huh. Interesting. It's things like this that has me excited for this game.

Suppose that's all the questions I had, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Avatar has a skill that gives him 1.5x base EXP if he's in a double pair with someone. This is what makes him broken. He gains levels fast, even though his growths are average by the game's standards.

That is definitely a tasty sounding thing that I will keep in mind.

Who's he good to double with, or he good with just about anyone?

Anyone really, it mostly depends on MU's stats and circumstances(enemy stats) so his/her ability to build support ranks with everyone comes in handy.

Sooo...seeing as how Virion and Sariya are some of the few characters usable on Lunatic, does that mean Noire is one of the few children characters that can be easily obtained in Lunatic Mode?

Unlocking the chapter yes, but on Lunatic some of the children are unfeasible to recruit the moment their chapter is unlocked due to the difficulty of their chapter(mostly the ones with all promoted enemies like Chambray,Azure,Noire,Selena,Jerome) the next main chapter(s) is(are) usually easier so you'll recruit them later on(but the good part is that the children will join stronger at least).

Edited by arvilino

And Noire's sidequest is one of the toughest, and she has a pretty bad start compared to Virion's awesome start.

I should clarify that it's Lunatic+ where Archers are crazy awesome. I guess they're not any worse on Lunatic, but other characters are much better in comparison.