Elder Scrolls Online

Thunderfox

Oh man I love trailers but that was amazing. What's with MMOs and their cinematics? WoW's always had cool ones, TOR had some bitchin' interconnectedness with its different neat videos, and Final Fantasy XIV ARR's was like eight minutes of pure CG goodness.

In any event, I signed up for it. I along with most others believe an MMO for Elder Scrolls is about as interesting as an MMO for Legend of Zelda, but I haven't seen any gameplay. Who knows, maybe it'll be good.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Talk about killing everything that ES is meant to stand for... (Single player rpgs with evolving stories)

somebody made a fucking mmorpg out of a fucking real-time strategy and it was really fucking good

i'll let you figure out which game that was

That's a really neat cinematic.

Still have no clue how this game is gonna play, and even though I can't see myself getting involved in it despite my love of Morrowind and Oblivion, I still wanna know how this turns out. I'm already playing The Old Republic (not the most amazing MMO out there, but it's a cool way to hang out with this friend of mine) and I'm looking into possibly getting involved in either Guild Wars 2 or waiting for Final Fantasy XIV to become good.

somebody made a fucking mmorpg out of a fucking real-time strategy and it was really fucking good

i'll let you figure out which game that was

It was, but it lent itself well to an MMO because of having a bunch of sides with different definable races, factions, etc. The setting was also really easy to write itself around.

I mean TES could potentially do that as well, but given the way that the plot generally carries out and the way gameplay is conducted I can easily see it ending up trying to capture the same feeling of the single-player game while having hampered multiplayer, much like TOR ended up doing.

The TES world is pretty well steeped in lore, too. It's got pretty solid defined races, just not drawn about the obvious PvP lines that WoW had. That's really all it's lacking.

I can see a whole bunch of PROBLEMS with TESO (such as what you mentioned), and I've been fairly outspoken against it as a good idea for a while now, but "it deviates from the formula!" isn't one of them. That's all I was getting at.

The problem is that the lore is so deep though. Every single one of the people I know is not even dimly aware of the overarching plot, or who or what most of the characters and organizations are. It's like Lord of the Rings the game series: Everyone's like "Yeah, I get it, the dragon's the bad guy and I have to kill him," but ask most people that played Skyrim exactly who Alduin is, or what an Elder Scroll truly is, And you'll get a lot of "uhhhhh"s.

It definitely has potential for application, but if they want millions of people to be playing this they're necessarily going to have to bring the bar down for everyone. Which kind of frightens me. But I guess at the end of the day if it's bad you can just ignore it.

In any event I still want to see it before casting judgment.