Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the name Yarne. Seriously, I see nothing wrong with it. Keep in mind this dude's a bit of a pansy.

Chambray is probably an even more pansy-ish name (google it). Is he a simple-minded character? Maybe "chambray" sounded too fancy for him...

Ya know, after letting it sink in for a few minutes, I actually now think Yarne is kind of adorable. (I'm assuming it's pronounced Yar-ney, right?)

Edited by Asura

Not really sure which way I should pronounce it; it still feels weird either way. I must say, while I was expecting a change, I don't think I was expecting that.....but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Hmmm.... yeah, okay - "Yarn" it is! Still cute, if more unsubtle.

And I had thought Panne was pronounced "Pahn-ney", so there's another new thing I learned.

Really, even if you could make the case for his name to be changed, there is NO reason for it to be changed to that *particular* name.

Italics? Now why would you use those, to stress how hard it is? I can think of not even one or two but three valid reasons as to why they might have changed it.

• If he was to be Azure, Azure is a girl's name. The character in question is a boy.
  • If he was to be Azure, Azure is far more common as an English word than a name. Yarne aside, they've done everything possible to change these, it seems - see Velvet and Inverse.
  • Their name was never Azure to begin with. It was Azur, a legitimate boy's name that means 'Israeli helper.' It's a derivative of Ezra. It's just so absolutely insanely rare outside of Jewish Israelis that even you guys - who singlehandedly tried to revive dead names like Loren or are willing to allow completely made up ones for Tiamo - failed to think about these things and added an 'e'.

So why would they change it to Inigo? Why not? They kind of have to change it to something - they can't just call him ??? the whole game (although Tripquest is the best nickname ever.) If they're going to change a name, it's best that they do with to a semi-uncommon one that the Japanese would probably never pick out for their own names to avoid conflicts down the line (e.g. Celina/Selena/Serena, but on a larger scale.) With this in mind, they next need to choose a name that's meaningful. Cordelia, for instance, is the name of a tragic heroine in King Lear who could not make a big enough spectacle of her love. It's really quite a perfect name for Tiamo, no?

Now, what advantages does Inigo have? Let's do three again.

• It's Welsh. (So is Owain.) So why is being Welsh an advantage? Because it's a perfectly great source for legitimate names that most people wouldn't know but fit in perfectly with the game's near-universal European-Scandinavian theme naming. It helps that Welsh is a terrible language and nobody really likes them, which combine to make a perfect storm of names NOJ is unlikely to select later on. Inigo and Owain are friends, incidentally.
  • It means either 'unknowing' or 'fiery.' Fiery more or less explains itself - he's an upbeat kid who hits on women over fighting Sain. Unknowing can relate to his little personal tragedy. The rest of this entry and the third are in spoilers.

[spoiler=On the Children and Inigo Characterization]

Falaflame ---> Valflame

http://i.imgur.com/4s54PP3.jpg

Hmm...

Aaaand here we go...

Oh, thank goodness.

Falaflame always made me think of Falafel. Which... is not something that an ultimate fire tome should bring to mind!

HELSWATH

that is rad as fuck. valflame is also good

Yewfelle sounds like You Fell as in, you fell to my arrows!

I immediately thought of the type of tree

and nthing that I will never be able to disassociate Inigo from Inigo Montoya

Italics? Now why would you use those, to stress how hard it is? I can think of not even one or two but three valid reasons as to why they might have changed it.

• If he was to be Azure, Azure is a girl's name. The character in question is a boy.
  • If he was to be Azure, Azure is far more common as an English word than a name. Yarne aside, they've done everything possible to change these, it seems - see Velvet and Inverse.
  • Their name was never Azure to begin with. It was Azur, a legitimate boy's name that means 'Israeli helper.' It's a derivative of Ezra. It's just so absolutely insanely rare outside of Jewish Israelis that even you guys - who singlehandedly tried to revive dead names like Loren or are willing to allow completely made up ones for Tiamo - failed to think about these things and added an 'e'.

So why would they change it to Inigo? Why not? They kind of have to change it to something - they can't just call him ??? the whole game (although Tripquest is the best nickname ever.) If they're going to change a name, it's best that they do with to a semi-uncommon one that the Japanese would probably never pick out for their own names to avoid conflicts down the line (e.g. Celina/Selena/Serena, but on a larger scale.) With this in mind, they next need to choose a name that's meaningful. Cordelia, for instance, is the name of a tragic heroine in King Lear who could not make a big enough spectacle of her love. It's really quite a perfect name for Tiamo, no?

Now, what advantages does Inigo have? Let's do three again.

• It's Welsh. (So is Owain.) So why is being Welsh an advantage? Because it's a perfectly great source for legitimate names that most people wouldn't know but fit in perfectly with the game's near-universal European-Scandinavian theme naming. It helps that Welsh is a terrible language and nobody really likes them, which combine to make a perfect storm of names NOJ is unlikely to select later on. Inigo and Owain are friends, incidentally.
  • It means either 'unknowing' or 'fiery.' Fiery more or less explains itself - he's an upbeat kid who hits on women over fighting Sain. Unknowing can relate to his little personal tragedy. The rest of this entry and the third are in spoilers.

[spoiler=On the Children and Inigo Characterization]

Oh, thank goodness.

Falaflame always made me think of Falafel. Which... is not something that an ultimate fire tome should bring to mind!

Huh, I figured his names were references to blue since he's wearing blue, and he's a blue boy and his mom's a pink girl. I guess there's no reason it can't be both

Oh, hey, do we know how Lucina is pronounced?

Now that we have left to need to know about the localized names for the Tyrhung, Gae Bolg, Mystletainn, Holsety, and Thor Hammer.

Edited by King Marth 64

you forgot Mystletainn (though if someone can provide the name of Owain's personal sword it may be guessable)

if the SpotPass and DLC distributions come out in the same order and timeframes as the Japanese version, we should expect to see Tyrfing, Gae Bolg and Holsety on the actual launch date with the release of the FE4 gen1 SpotPass set, and we'll have to wait a month or so for Mystletainn, Thorhammer and Naga to turn up in the possession of their wielders in the King vs King DLC series

Edited by Rhinocerocket