So, I wanna make a hack.

Holy Bagel

The concept of making your own Fire Emblem sounds fun, but it looks like a lot of hard work and you might have to be a jack of all trades.

I can do some event hacking here and there, however I can't do graphics (spriting and map making) and advance stuff like music and inserting them in the game. Sure, I could learn how, but I would ALWAYS fail and not learn anything. :/

So any tips for me on hacking? I have some characters written down, and the plot is in development. I also heard it's not best to hack as a lone wolf, but that's what I heard.

If you can do event hacking, you've got more than most people have. Graphics can always be replaced and improved, and if you ever get your hack off the ground, there'll be people who are more than happy to help. You should allow your plot to be fluid so that if need be you can go back and change things. Allow your story ideas to set in for a while; you'll find that your story evolves a lot over the course of writing it.

Yes, it's a lot of hard work, and it does require you to be able to do a lot of different things and be fairly good at them. But you can always get feedback from people and improve that way; after all, very few of us started off being good at everything except me, I'm amazing at everything and always have been. We all learned through our mistakes. But it's also quite rewarding! Very few endeavours allow you to express writing, visual art, music and (arguably) game development all at the same time. It's a good creative outlet, but also a huge timesink.

That being said, if you need help, just ask! Hacking is certainly something people are willing to help with... you may find you have trouble getting graphics, so if you really want people to help, do some hacking first, and show everyone you have progress. That'll let people know you're serious about it. I like to think I'm the go-to guy for music, but lol whatever

Edited by Agro

Thank you.

I can stew up something in the meanwhile, but my biggest problem is making maps. Should I just leave the map to look bad and get critiqued or should I get someone to help me make maps? Just a thought.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing I might ask. Hacking FE12. How do I go about that?

Edited by Warrior of Love and Hate

Thank you.

I can stew up something in the meanwhile, but my biggest problem is making maps. Should I just leave the map to look bad and get critiqued or should I get someone to help me make maps? Just a thought.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing I might ask. Hacking FE12. How do I go about that?

Oh dear, hacking fe12, good luck with that. I'm not sure if anyone on the forum can really help you with that ambition.

Map making you could just get someone to make maps. I'm open most of the time if you're actually interested(although I don't do FEDS maps, only GBAFE ones. I could if I had the tilesets, but I have no idea how you'd insert them).

post your rom idea once you have actual progress (a few chapters, playable patch ect ect) or else it'll look like a bunch of ideas that'll never bear fruit like about 70% of the hacks on this site

^more like 90%

Personally I think you really do have to be able to do everything in your hack for it to be successful. While I received much help with spriting, maps, etc., there isn't really much in my hack that I couldn't have done myself except for the programming aspects which, thankfully, are shared between the entire community, and thus don't really need to be "done" by the individual (though being able to program is a useful skill and I have a small degree of that skill as back-up if necessary... which tbh, did become necessary at a few points).

If you have any friends to help you, that'd be great. Even getting miniscule tasks out of the way can be helpful. Knowing your way around not only the original game and the utilities used to hack it but also the various FE sites and even members who may potentially give you help is good idk if my grammar matches up there [/paranoid]. For instance, Agro has some FE12 music that you might want to use, and you may find a spriter who can help you if you say, give them a character in your hack (granted, if your hack isn't very reputable/doesn't seem all that interesting or fruitful, they'll have little reason to invest time to help you).

Anyhow, it's not impossible, but it definitely requires a ton of time, patience, and skills. Aside from "practicing", mastering the "art" of hacking, and actually making the hack, the only other way to really make things easier is to become less ambitious, but often times less ambitious hacks are... less enjoyable, etc., and so perhaps you can substitute length with ingenuity and make a hack that is both ambitious yet not super time-consuming, if that makes sense.

I think that's all I really have to say for now, best of luck