Is anyone else torn between which mode to play?

Madcap

Whenever my bundle gets here, I'm jumping straight into Classic Hard at least, and may be crazy enough to go to Lunatic. A friend of mine said the SRW mechanics make Normal Mode too easy, regardless. (For the record, Super Robot Wars has had attack and defense supports for a while, as well as paring up, hence my label).

I'll be playing on Casual Normal for my first playthrough. I don't know much of anything about Skills, the Inheritance System, or the growths of characters. So, I'll just be laying back and doing this the way I want.

Then, I'll come back strong with a Lunatic Classic! No restarts. No grinding. Final destination.

I'm doing Classic Normal for my first run. If I ever do attempt Hard and Lunatic, it will be on Casual mode. With too many opportunities to f*** up at any moment, I'd rather be playing the Casual mode so I know I don't lose anyone based on a stupid mistake. @_@

Hard and Classic seem like the go-to for most of us, and it's what I chose as well. Hard mode has just enough of an edge to it to keep me interested. There's one early chapter in particular that I had to restart numerous times, which is a sign that I've made the correct choice for myself.

Casual Hard for my first run. I want it to be challenging, but I hate the frustration of resetting after getting near the end of a chapter only to have a unit freak-1-Hit-KOd by an enemy with a low crit rate. I'm obsessed with finishing the game with everyone alive, you see. (Except in Shadow Dragon.)

Despite popular opinion, I really don't feel permadeath should be what FE is all about.

Casual Hard for my first run. I want it to be challenging, but I hate the frustration of resetting after getting near the end of a chapter only to have a unit freak-1-Hit-KOd by an enemy with a low crit rate. I'm obsessed with finishing the game with everyone alive, you see. (Except in Shadow Dragon.)

Despite popular opinion, I really don't feel permadeath should be what FE is all about.

It's not what it's all about, but it's certainly one of the more unique aspects of it, and it adds a lot to character attachment when your screwups could have them vanish from the pages of history.

I think I'll start on Classic Hard until I get used to the SRW mechanics and figure out which skills to pass on to the second gen, and then go to Classic Lunatic later.