Pimp my Character: Ber-Ber Edition

Sir Inkalot

(the noob is wiser than he appears....maybe >_> <_<)

So I've noticed that a lot of awakening character design forums have started with the really complicated questions about the inheritance system. People are starting to streamline that and produce some good stuff. However, it still seems like a daunting chore to create a character (and not because of Petrine....did I mention I like puns? X3). So, my question: if skills are the focus, how much easier would it be to work backwards? Aka, if I post something like this:

Berserker

Axefaire

Wrath

Counter

Vengeance

Hex

And say that this was what I was wanting to try to get and ask how I get it, does it become an easier task to figure out characters with that goal in mind. I'm still trying to get good at following all the inheritance pathways and such, but it seems having some sort of "optimal build" like this in mind might help. Anyone want to help me figure out the easier/better ways to build a character with those skills.

My first guess is that somehow you need to get Vake to pass Counter onto a male child (if thats a possibility) and then make sure the kid has both the dark mage and barbarian class options.

I'm fiddling with that as we speak, what do you guys have?

Also, while I'm pretty set on that design choice, if you think you can build a better ber-ber be my guest, lets swap notes! :)

Edited by Sir Inkalot

Basically for that particular setup, you just need access to Barbarian and Dark Mage(Barbarian promotes to Zerker or Warrior, so it comes with Counter prebundled)

Miriel has Dark mage, so any male with Barbarian(MU, Vaike, Gregor, Henry) can pass it down to Laurent. Henry actually has Dark Mage and Barbarian, so he himself can achieve this, as can any male child he fathers. MU also shares this quality because lolMU.

Basically for that particular setup, you just need access to Barbarian and Dark Mage(Barbarian promotes to Zerker or Warrior, so it comes with Counter prebundled)

Miriel has Dark mage, so any male with Barbarian(MU, Vaike, Gregor, Henry) can pass it down to Laurent. Henry actually has Dark Mage and Barbarian, so he himself can achieve this, as can any male child he fathers. MU also shares this quality because lolMU.

You know, I completely forgot Barbarians could turn into warriors! Doh! Good point. Yeah, I'm guessing Henry is going to be a subpar option just because even if I can net those skills, the stats won't catch up, especially strength. I haven't really started digging into stat growths and caps, but that seems to just make sense for a mage type.

Miriel + Vake sounds hilarious, I'm almost tempted to do it for that reason alone! XD I guess either I run into trouble getting a good strength growth huh? Maybe Henry is the way to go afterall.....I guess thats the next question for the folks at home: who does it better, Laurent or Henry?

Henry has a 60% strength growth as a Barbarian, actually. He shouldn't have too many problems(in fact, due to Miriel's more Mag based stats, Vaike!Laurent is pretty well worse than Henry as a phys unit)

I personally like the look of Henry!Gerome, who has a pretty huge 55 Str cap as a Zerker(compared to 51 for Henry and 50 for Vaike!Laurent)

Of course, if you wanna really go nuts with it, do Henry/Cherche, and then pair your Gerome with FeMU to get a male Morgan with a 61 Str cap(using a +Str MU)

Easiest option is just got Henry, middle ground is Henry!Gerome, fullout mayhem is Henry!Gerome!Morgan. In general, Henry is your man, it would seem... well, +Str Male MU beats him out overall both on his own, and as a father for Gerome, but it removes the option of Gerome fathered Morgan.

Laurent is more of a gimmick option, sadly.

It's easy to reverse-engineer a reclass path: In a double-branch model (Orig. Base --> Alt. Base --> Alt Promoted --> Orig. Promoted), both "Dark Mage --> Sorceror" and "Barbarian --> Berserker" are cohesive skill-wise with the order only factoring whether you want a Magical Powerhouse or Physical one. The issue here would be in including Counter into the mix for 1st Gen Characters like Henry or the Avatar because you have to juggle it (for pretty much the same EXP penalty) as either:

(-->) Dark Mage -Master-> Sorceror -Second@Lv.10-> Warrior -Second@Lv15-> Berserker.

or

(-->) Dark Mage -Master-> Sorceror -Second@Lv.5-> Barbarian -Master-> Warrior -Second@Lv15-> Berserker.

Or course, you can replace Counter for either Gamble or Anathema, and streamline the reclassing as:

Henry: Dark Mage -Master-> Sorceror -Second@Lv.5-> Barbarian -Master-> Berserker.

Avatar or Gangrel: Starting Class -Second@Earliest Possible-> (If looking for Gamble or not having a 'zerker with an E-rank in Axes, Barbarian -Second@Lv.10->) Dark Mage -Master-> Sorceror -Second@Lv.10-> Berserker.

When it comes it to 2nd. Gen character, either Vaike!Laurent (even though it's more for the Strength boost from the starting stats' average process, Laurent has Berserker access by default) or Henry!Gerome makes good candidates for the suggested skillset with Skill Inheritance easing up the process in their own way:

Laurent (Inheriting Counter): Mage -Second@Starting Lv.10-> Dark Mage -Master-> Sorceror -Second@Lv.10-> Berserker.

Gerome (Inheriting Vengeance): Wyvern Rider -Second@Starting Lv.10-> Barbarian -Master-> Warrior -Second@Lv.15-> Berserker.

Of course, the Path for Laurent is not as efficient as Gerome's (even though MirielxVaike is a fun pairing and the pair up bonus for an A-support with Warrior/Berserker!Vaike helps once Laurent's out of a Magic Class) because one might rather need to demote him into a Barbarian after learning Vengeance to give him some Axe/Strength Training...

Edited by AstraSage