What's the point of Grima as a character? (SPOILERS)

Retsudo

Grima is Medeus with some Loptous thrown in.

The game never really explains that much about him. He doesn't have that much of a presence in the story.

Really, did the game really need him? Couldn't we have gotten Medeus instead if only because he's already in the series? And Grima has nothing to him as a character that Medeus doesn't have?

Honestly, Grima is not one of the better FE antagonists. He is Medeus on crack, but he doesn't even have that much of a presence in the game. He shows up, then Team Chrom runs off to Valm. Yay.

Is there any reason why Grima can't actually be Medeus? Besides looking different (and so does Tiki), I'm not seeing anything, but maybe there's something I'm overlooking. It's been several centuries, people might have just started calling him something else.

Is there any reason why Grima can't actually be Medeus? Besides looking different (and so does Tiki), I'm not seeing anything, but maybe there's something I'm overlooking. It's been several centuries, people might have just started calling him something else.

Well, not even Lucina ever talks about Hero King Marth beating Grima in the past, just taking inspiration from his strength in general. Also, I think that he didn't receive a backstory here because they're leaving material for a prequel, there's no way we'll see a direct sequel to Awakening with all the variations possible with pairings and children. On the other hand, the way they did things here, they'd have almost complete freedom in how a game about the first Exalt beating Grima would go, with the only necessary set pieces being a female pegasus knight in his party and some Taguel around.

Edited by NeonZ

I'm thinking they just wanted a fresh villain.

You already beat Medeus twice and he was beaten by Anri once, so he's no longer a dangerous villain.

Simimarly, Loputousu was already stopped twice (by the 12 Crusaders and Seliph) and he was just a weaker Medeus anyway.

The point of his existence is to provide an overwhelming force for the good guys to ally against like all other FE villains beforehand. Grima just takes the 'overwhelming' part more literally by being at least part Lovecraftian horror.

His backstory has not yet been explained, but we didn't know jack squat about Sauron's origins until we read Silmarillion, so honestly who cares? We'll probably get a prequel or something that'll explain more.

Comparing Awakening's story to the Lord of the Rings in any way, joking or seriously, is insane.

Not the story, the role of the main villain. A force of pure evil with a hand behind the scenes for most of the events, and is never directly confronted (Unless you count fighting the Future!MU, you never directly attack the dragon)

Besides, the point still stands. Both are major forces of evil with no backstory revealed in the main source material. Therefor, the comparison is apt.