The most current loss of my faith in humanity

Cookies

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/us/georgia-baby-killed/?hpt=hp_t2

If you guys haven't read about it yet, two minors attempted robbery on a woman who claims she didn't have money on her at the time. When she wouldn't give them the money they demanded, they proceeded to shoot her in the leg and her one year old baby in the face.

On politics-related sites, it has devolved into a fight about gun control and racism, as the mother was white and the kids who allegedly robbed her were black.

My personal take on it is that, I don't care who you are, killing a baby that young is extremely wrong. When I initially read about this crime (the link provided is the top article on it on Google) they hadn't provided information on the suspects yet, and I had envisioned white kids, honestly.

Either way, discuss.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charge them both, toss them in prison, throw away the key. That's about all I can really say about this. The kind of person that would willfully shoot a child in the face for some woman's pocket change would have gone to great lengths barehanded. He's scum and deserves the most indecent of treatment.

Ditto here. Actually, I'd recommend "scheduled daily nut kicking" in addition to solitary confinement.

More than that, there needs to be some study as to these kids' background. I mean, which schools do they go to? Are they members of a gang? Do they also see that kind of violence in their family?

(mod magic)

This over pocket change? It's a sad situation, but is straight-up vengeance really the answer? I'd like to know what makes these kids tick, because this isn't normal behavior.

It pisses me off when I see something like this, but I've learned to accept that no matter how hard you try, no one will understand why people do things like this. It could easily have been adrenaline pumping that'd make them act spontaneously, or they were on drugs. I don't think it's a matter of why, in a case like this, it just matters that they're brought down, and receive punishment accordingly.

Does it honesty matter what coulor their skin was? I think the more important thing here is that they murdered a 1 year old baby by shooting them in the face.

I'm no lawyer, so I can't honestly say what their punishment would be. However I would do a background check instead of just twittling my thumbs all day throwing out guesses because even if racism was why they did it even the most racist person wouldn't murder someones baby just because their skin was different from their's.

Edited by Garteam

There is no proof it was done because of racism. People should stop claiming that was the case simply because the baby was black, because this only adds fuel to the racism issue our society suffers from (even those from outside the USA).

Actually, does the motive really matter? They still shot him, nothing will change that. The Why Dunnit doesn't matter. Now I just hope they are punished appropriately, preferably with death sentence. Monsters have no reason to be kept alive, even if they are human as well.

There is no proof it was done because of racism. People should stop claiming that was the case simply because the baby was black, because this only adds fuel to the racism issue our society suffers from (even those from outside the USA).

Actually, does the motive really matter? They still shot him, nothing will change that. The Why Dunnit doesn't matter. Now I just hope they are punished appropriately, preferably with death sentence. Monsters have no reason to be kept alive, even if they are human as well.

I think the baby was white, and the guys who did it were black. I don't think it's race-motivated.

yes, the motive does matter. it won't bring the woman and child back from the dead, but the motive can reveal undercurrent issues that are influencing criminal behavior.

it's like the Newtown school shooting. yeah, wondering what the guy's motives to killing all those children won't bring the children back to life, but by knowing the guy's motives, we can hopefully understand what exactly was what drove this guy to such an act, and as such address those issues so it doesn't happen again.

Just because two scumbags exist doesn't mean you should lose faith in humanity. The vast majority of people don't shoot babies in the face.

Part of my faith being lost is that this news story is being spun into propaganda that will likely skew the ultimate outcome of the trial that these kids will have. This propaganda could end up being about greed, about gun control, or about racism. But the end result is that a child's life has been lost long before its time, and those will probably be words to push the media's case.

(Don't know if this is off topic or not, but reasons like those are why I decided to no longer be a journalism major.)

I don't think it's such a bad thing for it to become propaganda as long as it serves a better purpose, like supporting stricter gun control laws. I think needless death caused by arbitrary shootings is worse than propaganda.

Put em on death row, no reason to give them food and shelter for the rest of their miserable lives.

I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a mother to watch her 1 year baby shot in front of her. That's kind of shit you never recover from.

Part of my faith being lost is that this news story is being spun into propaganda that will likely skew the ultimate outcome of the trial that these kids will have. This propaganda could end up being about greed, about gun control, or about racism. But the end result is that a child's life has been lost long before its time, and those will probably be words to push the media's case.

(Don't know if this is off topic or not, but reasons like those are why I decided to no longer be a journalism major.)

So you are afraid people will politicize this to push an agenda? Admittedly some people aren't particularly genuine and honestly don't care too much about shootings so long as their agenda is pushed. But I should say most people willing to discuss it (kinda like people on this forum and maybe certain politicians) genuinely don't want to see something like this happen again and raise a political issue to prevent this. It's never morbid to come up with solutions.

Just. What the hell. I agree with whoever said these boys need to be locked up forever and the key thrown away. Placed in the dirtiest cells possible so they fall ill and suffer until they die. Suffer for as long as they can.

And those of you saying racism might not be an issue here, it very well might be. I've had many poor experiences with black kids when I was in school and I'm white. In fact, just about every bully that ever targeted me was black. The bullying almost drove me to suicide too. But luckily, I didn't have the guts to kill myself. I have a hatred for most black kids because of the shit they put me through. Don't get me wrong, I can make friends with younger kids or adults, but the teenagers? Almost never.

I would hardly be surprised if the two little monsters from this news story were racist.

And those of you saying racism might not be an issue here, it very well might be. I've had many poor experiences with black kids when I was in school and I'm white. In fact, just about every bully that ever targeted me was black. The bullying almost drove me to suicide too. But luckily, I didn't have the guts to kill myself. I have a hatred for most black kids because of the shit they put me through. Don't get me wrong, I can make friends with younger kids or adults, but the teenagers? Almost never.

I would hardly be surprised if the two little monsters from this news story were racist.

Don't let a select few people let you discriminate against an entire group like that :P. Most serial killers in the US are white men in their twenties or thirties, but it doesn't mean that every white guy's going to murder you. The same applies to any race/ethnic group. Your experiences were unfortunate, and my dearest sympathies, but you shoudn't hate all black teenagers because of it.

I don't think it's such a bad thing for it to become propaganda as long as it serves a better purpose, like supporting stricter gun control laws. I think needless death caused by arbitrary shootings is worse than propaganda.

Agreed, using tragedies to push political agendas that are only viable because of the emotional factor is not only justified, but necessary. If restricting guns based on appearance won't stop these needless deaths, what will?

That's beyond sick. What kind of freak shoots a one year old in the face just because their mother wouldn't give them any money? As if shooting the poor lady was bad enough...

As tempting as it is to wish an equally brutal fate to those guys as punishment, I just hope that their punishment will be harsh enough to stop them from ever doing something that horrible again, even if it is mere life imprisonment.

Don't let a select few people let you discriminate against an entire group like that :P. Most serial killers in the US are white men in their twenties or thirties, but it doesn't mean that every white guy's going to murder you. The same applies to any race/ethnic group. Your experiences were unfortunate, and my dearest sympathies, but you shoudn't hate all black teenagers because of it.

"A select few?" lol, no. Try over a dozen. Also, from what I've seen, more criminals overall are black.

Ho ho you're ridiculous and you've managed to make this thread all about you, not going to happen.

ITT Ana is from the south, so her views of people who are of a different skin color are skewed.

Doesn't feel good being generalized by a stereotype, does it? How do you think all of the black members feel when reading your posts? Just keep your radical racist views to yourself, it saves everyone time and energy.

Actually, I'm from the north. Was born in Pittsburgh, where most of my family still lives. But this thread isn't about me, nor was I intending for it to be. I was only expressing my opinion on the topic. The rest of you made the choice to respond. I didn't make you do it.

Edited by Anacybele

Yet, you decided to add something controversial that you knew would spark a response from others, an angry one at that.

I'm sorry, was my example of generalization by someone's skewed stereotype not obvious?

I don't even think I should proceed to take this farther, because knowing me, I'll take this too far.

Edited by Kitty of Time