Clearing 3DS data--will SD card games still play?

Redwall

I'm planning on selling my 3DS soon along with two games purchased from the eShop that are currently stored on the SD card. I'd like to clear my data (personal info, system logs, etc.) before selling it while keeping the games stored on the SD card intact. I went through some of the options in the system settings and found an option called "Format system memory," or something. From some Google searches I've learned that this will indeed clear 3DS info.

My hunch is that if I first remove the SD card before choosing the Format option, the 3DS-specific data will be cleared, and the games stored on the SD card will continue to be playable upon reinserting the SD card. Is this correct? My fear is that upon reformatting the 3DS, eShop-specific data or some other such nonsense will be erased, locking me out of the purchased games. Based on the info displayed upon choosing the reformatting option, leaving the SD card in during the reformatting process is a no-no for what I want to do.

Edited by Redwall

My hunch is that if I first remove the SD card before choosing the Format option, the 3DS-specific data will be cleared, and the games stored on the SD card will continue to be playable upon reinserting the SD card. Is this correct?

No.

You format the system memory, you delete the eShop account. That account is what your games are associated to, and you forfeit them. ALL.

So in essence, you cannot sell the eShop games you bought without your information being associated to it.

You either sell your 3DS with all your info still on it and the eShop games... or you sell your 3DS without your information AND without any eShop bought games, period.

The games on the SD card that you keep a copy of will NOT be playable on the formatted system. Just as if you took the SD card and inserted it into another completely different 3DS.

Edited by shadowofchaos