A new hack

Ragingrob13

I want to start a completely new hack based off of fe8 (mainly for its world map feature). I need a lot of help with this if its going to be successful. I can write the story i just need spriters and coders to help me with this i haven't come up with a name yet but i want to instead of having a credits section is to put all the people who work on this game in the game itself but you will be recognized for your work and i hope we can get this project started really soon

how does "no" sound?

because if it doesn't sound very good then you're going to either a) have to learn something so you don't need to ask for so much help or b) give people a reason to actually want to help you out

or c) show some green since that'll at least motivate me

Edited by CT075

I want to start a completely new hack based off of fe8 (mainly for its world map feature). I need a lot of help with this if its going to be successful. I can write the story i just need spriters and coders to help me with this i haven't come up with a name yet but i want to instead of having a credits section is to put all the people who work on this game in the game itself but you will be recognized for your work and i hope we can get this project started really soon

Well, if you want help, you should know the basics of how to make a hack and stuff (don't need to be super amazing, but need to know how to get around things and how to repoint, change things, etc.). You also have to bear with the hack and keep up to it- one of most irritating things for most people here is to contribute to a hack that goes nowhere.

That being said, good luck and may your hack be good.

a. No ones going to make a hack for you, since as the writer you'd probably be putting in the least amount of effort. You have to show some hacking progress before people are going to help you for free. (Hint, you can pay them and they might be more receptive.)

b. You don't even tell us anything about this story you want to write. Basically, all we see is "I'll write something if you do everything else for me.

Moral: Figure the basics out and start something yourself.

Are people seriously asking for money to help someone out with their hacking project.

There's a difference between helping and "doing it for them." These are jobs that people do in the real world, so it's not unreasonable. If you want advice, people will happily give it for free. Just look at other topics in both this section, the spriting section, and in the writing section.

well the option is either "give me money" or "i can't be bothered" so either way the situation benefits me

i don't even particularly care if you think i'm a horrible person for doing this because quite honestly money is literally the only thing that would make me prioritize doing someone's hack for them over working on schoolwork

Edited by CT075

Us artists already get underpaid and ripped off as it is we do not want to do free shit unless it's a gift for friend or sth

Look if you got free time and enough money to pay your bills good for you but I have stuff like $200 commissions to work on that doesn't even pay the damn rent

So I don't have free time to do shit for free but if you can shell out all that money who am I to say no

Edited by Thor Odinson

Lumi, only 35$ to recruit you?

Or $35 per sprite.

Because the latter makes actual sense and the former makes me feel like taking advantage of your services

$35 per mini $70 per sprite + $10 for frames = $115 for one insertable sprite

It's preventative pricing, I have like negative free time between my actual commissions and all my school work so unless you want to shell out ridiculous prices I don't want to make more time

I do give discounts to friends though but I don't even know this guy

Edited by Thor Odinson

Lol so hostile.

Though I have no intention of helping TC with his hack either.

But here's some advice:

If you're new to hacking, hack FE7. FE8 events are much harder to pull off than FE7 ones, although you can get away with doing it for FE8 as a reskin.

Start off by learning how to use Nightmare, followed by FEditor. Afterwards, go into hex editing and then events. ASM is last priority.

Well there's also FEXP but aside from me and like 16 other people I guess nobody really uses that yet.

To be fair, I haven't thought of anything that absolutely has to make it into a hack, or that I can't do with a ROM, though I have been meaning to check it out.

$35 per mini $70 per sprite + $10 for frames = $115 for one insertable sprite

It's preventative pricing, I have like negative free time between my actual commissions and all my school work so unless you want to shell out ridiculous prices I don't want to make more time

I do give discounts to friends though but I don't even know this guy

While in your case it does sound pretty reasonable to put a price on your works, I thought most people just hacked for fun, as an actual hobby. I mean, it's not like most hacks get finished, anyway.

Exactly why I put a price on things

Most hacks go nowhere

I don't like my time going to waste

Making money is not waste

I'm sometimes willing to contribute for free if it looks like it'll go somewhere and it's promising and it interests me (like I throw Arch a mug for EN here or there at times if I have free time), but just having an idea is not enough. If you don't even have the initiative to learn how to do the basics of hacking and you want my work, it's full price.

Most of us artists are pretty tired of people constantly asking us for work (and thus time) for no return. If you don't put enough effort and thought into your project to make it interesting enough for us to want to be a part of it, we have better things to do.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Dear Posters,

Do not reply to this post in the thread. There are three spammy posts in this thread. See if you can guess which ones we consider spammy (in a PM). I notice a shift towards not-spammy posts in this thread, so hopefully that trend will continue. In summary, don't spam.

Best Regards,

Your Mod Team