Character editing failure

Ragingrob13

So I started basic hacking with fe7; and i buffed lyn well i guess that giving lyn 20 base speed and 16 base skill was not the best idea after i crashed the game. I don't even want to know how overpowered Wil is going to be when he joins. XD

That you can't max tutorial Lyn's stats and succeed

That's the low tier hacker talking.

You believe that and that's pretty much the extent of what you will ever be able to do.

Instead of just simply thinking that way, think "Why did this happen?"

Edited by shadowofchaos

I think i figured out what it was what happened was i put in nightmare that i wanted her skill to be 16 and her speed to be 20. See what I think I'll try to do is to make a more buffed version of the game seeing as I had a lot of problems with it but that isn't saying much considering I have to max level all my characters on FE8 to beat the Demon King.

One thing to note if you're editing base stats, is that the class bases get added to the characters bases for an overall total. So if you want lyn's speed to be 20 and skill to be 16, you only add how much more you need, not what you want the stat to be.

Ok so it turns out that nightmare is putting whatever i type into the stats and using it as a boost for the default stats that is why she got such high speed and skill and I just realized that I am talking to a man who knows what he is talking about and I wanted to apologize. Sorry Rey.

1365566110[/url]' post='2351194']

One thing to note if you're editing base stats, is that the class bases get added to the characters bases for an overall total. So if you want lyn's speed to be 20 and skill to be 16, you only add how much more you need, not what you want the stat to be.

Well what I was trying to do was to give Lyn's stats a slight boost and i ended up testing it out to find out what it was that was causing the problem like Rey had suggested. i don't want you to think I'm saying I just looked here I actually downloaded another blank rom to see if that was the case.

Edited by eCut

Ok so it turns out that nightmare is putting whatever i type into the stats and using it as a boost for the default stats that is why she got such high speed and skill and I just realized that I am talking to a man who knows what he is talking about and I wanted to apologize. Sorry Rey.

Though I do admit there was a slight condescending tone in my earlier post, my intent was for you to think and ask questions.

Thank you. This was actually the first attempt i put into actually hacking the game, so i thought i would start small with boosting stats on characters i thought needed it. As it turns out I need to give hackers way more credit this must be really hard to do with entirely new characters but that will eventually work its way to my hacking progress. Actually I recognized you from YouTube and I kindly freaked out but thanks it really helps to see "up there" people like you helping us newer people. So thanks again to everyone who helped me with this.

Well what I was trying to do was to give Lyn's stats a slight boost and i ended up testing it out to find out what it was that was causing the problem like Rey had suggested. i don't want you to think I'm saying I just looked here I actually downloaded another blank rom to see if that was the case.

It's tricky at first, but it's easily learned. You can even make a stat lower than the class base without messing with class bases by putting a minus sign before the stat in nightmare (simple, but I honestly did not know why it was there the first time I saw it).

Also, check out the second link in my sig. It'll help you alot.

I should read through all of it shouldn't I?

That sounded way more lazy than I inteded. XD

You should be able to look at the chapter list and tell what you need to read when you get to editing certain things, but yes, you should give everything a good read when you have the time.

Please stop double posting, Ragingrob. The edit button is the for a reason. I merged all of your double posts.

Is this thread supposed to be in the general hacking section? I think it should be moved to the questions section.

Naw, it doesn't really look like he is really asking any questions yet~

Please stop double posting, Ragingrob. The edit button is the for a reason. I merged all of your double posts.

Naw, it doesn't really look like he is really asking any questions yet~

Sorry about the double posts. i just wanted to correct myself. :/

funnily enough i can't actually think of a reason that this specific change would break the game; there's no real reason breaking caps should crash anything

Giving lyn 20 base speed and 16 base skill in the prologue kind of keeps you from using a vulnerary, after she is supposed to take the scripted first hit. Basically what happens is when you go to select the vulnerary from her inventory, the game freezes.

oh it's the tutorial being stupid again

i really need to get around to finishing that wiped ROM zahl wanted to make

would definitely prevent issues like this

Edited by CT075