Growth rates throughout FE

Hawkeye

I posted in the jeigan topic a list of FE9 units tiered by their total growth rates, just to give some perspective into how important growths are (or aren't). I found the results interesting, so I decided to do the same thing with the other games, minus FE13 because the growths we currently have almost definitely aren't 100% accurate.

https://docs.google....cEE&usp=sharing

FE1

*notes* All units have a resistance growth of 0%. This game includes a weapon level growth rate. This game has 5 characters with total growths under 100, the most of any FE. Est, although the archetypical high-growths character, is tied for 2nd highest growth overall.

FE2

*notes* Resistance growths are still 0%. Est has her place on top of the list this time, although she has much lower growths than she did in FE1. This game has the lowest average growth rates of all the FEs by a wide margin, at 154. That's 98 less than the second lowest, which is FE11.

FE3 Book 1

*notes* Resistance growths are now set to 3% across the board. Many characters have the same growths they did in FE1 (except +3 from resistance), but there are a few changes, such as Julian being tied for second-highest growths.

FE3 Book 2

*notes* Banutu has the lowest non-zero total growths out of every FE unit ever, at 23 in Book 1 and Book 2. Also, Feena has the highest growths, passing Est.

FE4 Gen1

*notes* Holy blood is included. First FE to have different resistance growths. Also first FE to have strength and magic.

FE4 Gen2

*notes* Holy blood is factored in, substitute units were used because the children can have different growths.

FE5

*notes* This game has growths for build and movement, although movement only ranges from 0%-5%.

FE6

*notes* This game features the 2 units with the highest total growths overall. Fa is second with 600, and first place goes to Karel with a ridiculous 950 (if only he had more than one level to use those growths).

FE7

*notes* Although Nino is considered to be of the Est archetype, she has lower total growths than both Lyn and Hector. Merlinus tops the list for this game. FE7 also features the first unit with 0 total growths (Athos).

FE8

*notes* The only other game with a unit that has significantly above average growths (Myrrh, at 580). Bonus characters were included. This game has the highest average growths of all the FEs that don't include both strength and magic as stats on each character.

FE9

*notes* This game has the highest average growths (359). The 3 Laguz royals are tied for the highest growths, including Giffca even though he comes at level 20. Sothe's growths do not include blossom.

FE10

*notes* This game features the other 2 units with 0 total growths, Lehran and the Black Knight. Somehow, Micaiah, Vika, and Sanaki top the list.

FE11

*notes* Default classes are used. As expected, Wolf and Sedgar have a significant lead over other units. This game features the worst Marth in terms of growths (312).

FE12

*notes* Bonus characters are included. MU is a cavalier. This game has the strongest Marth in terms of growths (395). Jake makes a surprising appearance at the top of list.

I don't really know what there is to discuss, but hopefully you find some things interesting. Also I should have checked if there was a topic like this before because if there is I'll have wasted so much time.

I suppose I'll add this note here, for those of you who think the level 20 units make a big difference.

FE5- If we remove Galzus, the average growths changes from 287 to 286.

FE6- If we remove Yodel, the average growths changes from 278 to 281.

FE7- If we remove Athos, the average growths changes from 286 to 293.

FE9- If we remove Giffca, the average growths changes from 359 to 356.

FE10- If we remove Lehran and BK, the average growths changes from 319 to 328.

FE12- If we remove Gharnef, the average growths changes from 313 to 315.

Notice that all these changes are negligible and if we were to rank the games based on their average total growths, the only change would be FE7>FE5.

Actually, I'll include that too. From lowest total growths to highest, it goes like this (without lvl20 units):

FE2 -> FE11 -> FE4G1 -> FE1 -> FE3B1 -> FE6 -> FE3B2 = FE4G2 -> FE5 -> FE7 -> FE8 -> FE12 -> FE10 -> FE9

Edited by Hawkeye

Somehow ... Micaiah ... top the list.

What? I'm happy if her health gets over 30 without robes until later part 3.

I also wouldn't really count units that come level 20 promoted or highest level without reclassing, because you can't really level them at all.

Edited by Melonhead

What? I'm happy if her health gets over 30 without robes until later part 3.

I also wouldn't really count units that come level 20 promoted or highest level without reclassing, because you can't really level them at all.

I'm pretty sure Giffca is the only one who has actual growths but comes at level 20.

*Edit* Also Yodel..... and Gharnef. But that's it!

Edited by Hawkeye

I'm pretty sure Giffca is the only one who has actual growths but comes at level 20.

*Edit* Also Yodel..... and Gharnef. But that's it!

counting Lehran, Athos, and the Black Knight's growths is also BS for the same reason

I have some comments for FE1

- Assuming a certain Item(Miracle Sword), which have not been researched, Marth might actually have the highest Growth rate in FE1. it should be noted that thanks to how OP Marth was, it is pretty hard to get him at lower than 20 by the time Est, who carried the Sword joined.

- FE1 Bantu has growth that is lower than Jagen, however he can have the highest defense in the entire series, at Infinity +17.

Tiki, who have the highest growth in the game is the second highest at Infinity +12

We can assume the third highest is now held by Kellam Nah Morgan at 90+

- Tiki can't promote. Est can.

FE5

Is it just me, or the growth rate kinda jumped around after Manster?

IIRC the highest total Growth is held by Delmud at 347

Added a note on the level 20 units in the OP.

I have some comments for FE1

- Assuming a certain Item(Miracle Sword), which have not been researched, Marth might actually have the highest Growth rate in FE1. it should be noted that thanks to how OP Marth was, it is pretty hard to get him at lower than 20 by the time Est, who carried the Sword joined.

- FE1 Bantu has growth that is lower than Jagen, however he can have the highest defense in the entire series, at Infinity +17.

Tiki, who have the highest growth in the game is the second highest at Infinity +12

- Tiki can't promote. Est can.

FE5

Is it just me, or the growth rate kinda jumped around after Manster?

IIRC the highest total Growth is held by Delmud at 347

I actually didn't know about the miracle sword, but we're just going by base growth rates, no drops, no shards, nothing of that sort.

I have no idea what you're talking about with that infinite defense stuff, explain further?

Delmud is third, after Sety (426) and Mareeta (388).

Edited by Hawkeye

no way

highest FE13 growth total has to be Donnel's kid with aptitude

oh, laguz bring up FE9's average compared to FE10, i was wondering how that happened when beorc growths went up

e: wait, 2nd highest laguz growth in FE10 is Kurthnaga at #39? lololol

Edited by shadykid

I mean potential defense

Bantu has Infinity +17

Tiki has Inifnity +12

You are NOT surpassing infinite defense

As SSBM has shown us, Morgan with Kellam Nah Father can reach 89 Defense, before AS+2. Correct me if im wrong, but that might actually be the absolute highest right now before going into Bantu and Tiki's absurd number

On infinite Defense, treat this as a Trivia instead of a serious stuff

Using Promotion item(which is not used up because they can't promote) on Bantu and Tiki(or on a Manakete) increased their defense by 12, and it breaks the cap, going beyond 20. You can actually have 99 Defense Bantu and increase it again with the promo item to have the number reset. Around the reset number, the game treat it as if they have that high of a defense, and will not attack them

Edited by JSND

I mean potential defense

Bantu has Infinity +17

Tiki has Inifnity +12

You are NOT surpassing infinite defense

As SSBM has shown us, Morgan with Kellam Nah Father can reach 89 Defense, before AS+2. Correct me if im wrong, but that might actually be the absolute highest right now before going into Bantu and Tiki's absurd number

Where are you getting this "infinite defense" from? Banutu has a base defense of 3 with 0% growth, his dragonstone gives +12 defense and even the strongest dragonstone gives +23. Not that this is about items or bases, it's about growth rates.

On infinite Defense, treat this as a Trivia instead of a serious stuff

Using Promotion item(which is not used up because they can't promote) on Bantu and Tiki(or on a Manakete) increased their defense by 12, and it breaks the cap, going beyond 20. You can actually have 99 Defense Bantu and increase it again with the promo item to have the number reset. Around the reset number, the game treat it as if they have that high of a defense, and will not attack them

That's really cool. Completely unrelated to the topic, but cool. I'll have to try that out sometime. Does it matter which promotion item?

Sety joins as a level 14 sage, which the main site can tell you faster than I can look it up and type it here.

Edited by Hawkeye

The first time I tried that were with a late game Dragon WhipAnd then tried to use Bishop Ring and it works

The first promo Item are ib Minerva chapter, which is a Hero Crest. right now I have a save data at that point so I can test later

Sorry for the off topic but there

About FE5.

Tina actually have 5% Move growth, the highest growth available. There are no character with 4% move growth.

Galzus apparently have growth, even if it at level 20.

Also, as far as I know, it's the only game where the same growths are shared by more than one unit (Xavier, Eyros and Galzus, if I remember correctly).

Also, about FE2:

Slightly irrelevant, but this is the first game where a character can gain more than 1 stats by level up, even if it's with the use of an Item.

The first is FE4 officially.

Out of unrelated curiosity, did you input each of those numbers in the google doc yourself?

I copied all the growths from this site into my personal document, edited it there, then transferred it to the google document. I was originally going to put it all in the post itself behind spoilers, but the formatting got messed up so I made that public document instead. Doing the whole thing one number at a time would have taken days xD

About FE5.

Tina actually have 5% Move growth, the highest growth available. There are no character with 4% move growth.

Galzus apparently have growth, even if it at level 20.

Also, as far as I know, it's the only game where the same growths are shared by more than one unit (Xavier, Eyros and Galzus, if I remember correctly).

Also, about FE2:

Slightly irrelevant, but this is the first game where a character can gain more than 1 stats by level up, even if it's with the use of an Item.

Good point about Tina, completely forgot about that. I derped with Galzus, I forgot mercenary is a promoted class in this game. I'll have to add him to my note on level 20 units. Pretty sure you're right about the same growths thing (except Lehran and the Black Knight both have 0% for all growths in FE10).

Also, about FE2:

I don't quite understand what you're saying. Characters usually gain at least 2-3 stats when they level up, even in FE1, and there are no items that make you level up.

I'm clearly misinterpreting the post, but could you please clarify? Thanks!

Edited by Helswath

I don't quite understand what you're saying. Characters usually gain at least 2-3 stats when they level up, even in FE1, and there are no items that make you level up.

I'm clearly misinterpreting the post, but could you please clarify? Thanks!

He means more than one of the same stat. As in +2 defense or something.

Mostly this happens due to growth rates that are over 100%, but FE2 has the angel ring, which makes all your stats go up by +2 instead of +1 when you level up (I believe).

Edited by Hawkeye

He means more than one of the same stat. As in +2 defense or something.

Mostly this happens due to growth rates that are over 100%, but FE2 has the angel ring, which makes all your stats go up by +2 instead of +1 when you level up (I believe).

Oh, that's what it was. Thanks for explaining.