Is it just me or are youtube copyright rules retarded?

You lose features and options as soon as you hit your first strike for copyright notices, and if its a false claim, even then it takes 10 days to restore them. (It only takes one day to file a claim)

Seems like it would be easy to use fake accounts to troll the heck out of people.

For youtube, allowing copyright infringements is a serious risk to them. They have a high volume of videos being pumped in every day so it's easier to say "block this video, check back when there's time" than to say "Let's carefully investigate every claim the moment it appears."

Seems like it would be easy to use fake accounts to troll the heck out of people.

People do that all the time.

Hell technically, us putting up footage of games could be considered infringement... but why the hell would they want to? It's free advertisement.

It's just that when you do things like... say... leak footage of an unreleased game an entire month before. They'll get on your ass.

A few months ago Sega was taking down videos related to the Shining Force series, even just re-uploaded trailers, but that was because Sega.

I can't be bothered to write about the many problems with how YouTube handles copyright infringement claims right now, but yes, there are multiple aspects of YouTube's copyright claim system that are atrociously awful for end users.

I had some music compilations with like, 20 second music clips, only to have 5 automated checkers jump on my video for infringement. None of them even owned the content. Youtube really needs to crack down on the companies that make a crapload of false claims to try and pilfer money on content they don't even own.