How exactly does Skype work?

Konnor97

For some random reason the idea of getting/using/whatever Skype has entered my mind, but I wanted to ask about it first. So, yeah, how does Skype work, and if I got it or whatever, how do/would I use it?

Edited by Konnor97

At it's lowest level, it's like an IM service. Just like MSN. You type messages to someone and they respond back. You can also do this in group chats.

However, it's also a phone/video call service. You can call other people on your contacts list with Skype, and voice or video chat with them.

Yesterday I learned that you can also send files easily through Skype. Also, you can do conference calls for free. Calling telephone numbers does cost a fee, though.

I use it to chat with my friends while gaming. If you want Skype to use a low amount of memory, find and download version 4.2 because version 5+ adds some features and a new look, but may not be worth it if you're just trying to communicate.

You mentioned you were thinking about getting it? It's not like Twitter where you just interact with whomever, normally you'll be using it to chat with your buddies. So if they're using it, you should, too! Also, I recommend you pick up a ~$10 headset if there is a lot of background noise where your computer is at.

Its a messaging service really. I use it for IMs and voice chats. Voice chats and IM chats in groups are free (between Skype accounts) but calling phone lines and video chatting in groups (more than two people) will cost you money, though you do not need to attach a credit card number to your account to use Skype. You add other people with Skype accounts to your contact list, or you can import people from Facebook (bad idea).

I use it to talk to online friends, send files to all types of friends, and keep in contact with long distance family for free.

People get freaked out when I ask if they have Skype because they think video chat, and thats pretty personal to talk FACE-TO-FACE with people but like I said, I usually use it for the IM service. Its basically the new MSn or AIM or whateves. Gamers use it a lot.

It actually *is* the new MSN, if you've been paying attention to all the work they're doing to kick messenger over to skype and close up the service in recent months.

Yeah, it's becoming one of my more used messengers. But skype has phone implications that I couldn't quickly and accurately sum up in a short reply. It's a VoIP service.