Archer classes?

This. Gaius|Noire with Galeforce, Luna, and Astra kills anything she attacks, then Galeforces to safety. There are better class choices, but this is quite fun.

Don't forget. Gaius can pass down counter, punishing those who would abuse Noire's weakness. :D

Counter on Noire is just too fun.

Personally, Noire is my favorite, although she is spending a lot of time as a paladin and a general (gotta get aegis and pavise), but on my first playthrough, Noire did WORK. High defense and strength, especially as a bow knight, the sacrifice of a longbow really isn't all too dramatic in my eyes, but opinions will be opinions.

Here's a situation that you can conceive: a Lunatic+ run where a large number of enemies spawn with Counter, and you need to play the delay game. An Assassin (or other bow-using class with Pass from a previous life) can disarm a dangerous group of enemies by face-tanking on a forest/fort. Bows allow you to have a weapon equipped without killing yourself on Counter. Pass allows you to keep from getting boxed in, and snipe enemies with dangerous skill combinations like Hawkeye/Luna+.

Without Pass, you need a 1-range option (dangerous with Counter enemies) or a adjacent partner.

From my experience, unless you did a lot of grinding letting almost anything get attacked 4 times or more at once in lunatic or lunatic+ would mean one dead character unless the RNG loved you. Also, there would be no reason to pull a group that big to a solitary archer without backup anyway so they would still have a way out (you would want to mop up that many counter wielding units in one move, so they should have a few supporting units)

Still I see where your coming from, it could happen but we gotta remember these units never operate alone they are part of an army :)