Nintendo's stance on fan-made content?

Knight

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think they'll actually enforce it?

• Yes
    • No
    • ?
  2. 2. What's your opinion on this?

• Don't care, I don't let's play
    • I am outraged beyond belief
    • I'm kind of sad, but I understand what they're getting at
    • It could be much worse
    • Yes
    • I don't mind paying money to Nintendo
    • I'm glad that Nintendo is putting an end to the Let's Play vermin!
    • I'm switching to PlayStation/Xbox

Nobody watches youtube ads anyway. The people who improperly monetized the videos are in the wrong. If that's how they make their living, they'll have to find an honest way to make their living. I don't see what the big deal is.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I know this is over a month later and it's technically...[spoiler=Thread necromancy - Sorry]o7sp02.jpg

But since it's completely relevant to the topic and I don't want to make a completely new thread on it, NINTENDO IS DOING A 180 ON THE CLAIMING. All ad revenue will now go to the uploader once again on videos that would've been "claimed."

[spoiler=Sources]

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-lets-play-drama-might-have-a-happy-ending-513818999

http://www.examiner.com/article/nintendo-reverses-let-s-play-copyright-claim

(edit: crap, I'm probably getting warning points for this)

Edited by Interest

They still removed Pokedroid apps from Google Play and App Market, which is very dissapointing for me if they really consider that as competition/sales detractment for Pokedex 3D pro.

I do own Pokedex 3D Pro, but that thing doesn't really have all stuff to replace Pokedroid app. Sure it does contain the list of egg moves, but it doesn't have critical piece of information that is EV point. I also doesn't to close down my Pokemon game everytime I just need to check and bit little of information for breeding and training. Not to mention the whole name pronounciation is so DAMNED annoying and there is no option to turn that off.

I sincerely hope they allows harmless app like Pokedroid to be legal once more, until they gave more satifying presentation with their own Pokedex.

Wait, when did this happen?

. . . Oh wait, I'm let's playing for SITER SKAIN. No worries here.

But still, how did I miss this? That's not. . . Hmph. At least Nintendo hasn't shut down Hyrule:Total War. But it's probably back on their radar thanks to all the let's playing some people were doing of the various campaigns, so now it's probably been jeopardized by proxy.

Edited by Verdant Shade

Why are these people upset over this? They are making money off of a game they contributed jack shit to help develop and release. Do they honestly feel they should be allowed to profit off of someone else's hard work? Their movies consist entirely of games they contributed nothing towards and they have the balls to get mad because Nintendo isn't letting them profit off of that? Imagine how pissed off a game developer must be to find they busted their ass to make a game, and someone is making money off of their work by just playing the game with a Dazzle recorder. Seriously,what the hell is wrong with these people?

Why are these people upset over this? They are making money off of a game they contributed jack shit to help develop and release. Do they honestly feel they should be allowed to profit off of someone else's hard work? Their movies consist entirely of games they contributed nothing towards and they have the balls to get mad because Nintendo isn't letting them profit off of that? Imagine how pissed off a game developer must be to find they busted their ass to make a game, and someone is making money off of their work by just playing the game with a Dazzle recorder. Seriously,what the hell is wrong with these people?

The problem is that this isn't them just selling the game. This is them "selling" advertising space, on a Let's Play, which does involve some hard work on their part, at least, if you want to have any level of popularity.

Then again, you have some people who act like Nintendo are the new Hitler, for daring to suggest that no, you can't make money off their games, any more than you can make money off of selling Mario t-shirts or Zelda fanfiction. You could pull the same bullshit "but we're advertising your game" card with any of these, but none of them are ok.

• 3 weeks later...

They're removing the revenue from LPrs on Youtube (and changing the ads affiliated). Big ****ing whoop. Content like that shouldn't be generating money anyways.

I don't make money off my fanfiction- nor do I want to. Why the hell should someone who's putting up videos with usually annoying commentary make money off it?

(Besides Youtube? Ads!? What are you talking about? Adblock Plus master race. Always have been, always will be: block all ads.)

They're removing the revenue from LPrs on Youtube (and changing the ads affiliated). Big ****ing whoop. Content like that shouldn't be generating money anyways.

I don't make money off my fanfiction- nor do I want to. Why the hell should someone who's putting up videos with usually annoying commentary make money off it?

(Besides Youtube? Ads!? What are you talking about? Adblock Plus master race. Always have been, always will be: block all ads.)

LPs themselves don't matter, but it is indicative of how Nintendo views the Internet in general

which is to say, they're behind

LPs themselves don't matter, but it is indicative of how Nintendo views the Internet in general

which is to say, they're behind

Eh.. I think you're kinda missing my point here.

I'm actually in favor of their actions. User made content shouldn't be generating money. It really shouldn't. (Hell, looking at that concept as a whole, I actually hate the idea of "for sale" RPG maker games and Doujinshi (I support Doujin Pirates 100%)-- sure they take time and effort to make, but those things should be a "labor of love", not some cheap way to line one's pockets.)

Sure it wouldn't affect me either as a sporadic uploader (yes, I upload AMVs, and various stuff, but guess what I'm not a Youtube Partner, and refuse to be one) or as a viewer (adblock all the ads all time), but my stance is pretty solid.

To be fair on the "doujin" area... they're already bad enough with the smut.

And there's one FE13 doujin that stands above the rest... and the only reason that quality work is out there... is because of how freaking expensive it is. All the artists collaborated and worked hard on it because they knew it has merit to it. Some of them work for a living with their art.

Eh.. I think you're kinda missing my point here.

I'm actually in favor of their actions. User made content shouldn't be generating money. It really shouldn't. (Hell, looking at that concept as a whole, I actually hate the idea of "for sale" RPG maker games and Doujinshi (I support Doujin Pirates 100%)-- sure they take time and effort to make, but those things should be a "labor of love", not some cheap way to line one's pockets.)

Sure it wouldn't affect me either as a sporadic uploader (yes, I upload AMVs, and various stuff, but guess what I'm not a Youtube Partner, and refuse to be one) or as a viewer (adblock all the ads all time), but my stance is pretty solid.

what I'm saying is their mentality towards the Internet is completely backwards and is the reason why they are incredibly behind Sony/MS on that front

As much as would have preferred them not to, I could understand why they did it.

I can understand why they did it too, but the fact they failed to understand the potential consequences of doing so baffles me.

At least they got their shit together...this time...

Edit: Dunno why people still haven't realized Nintendo reverted this whole thing quite awhile ago (or so it's said)

Edited by Interest

I can understand why they did it too, but the fact they failed to understand the potential consequences of doing so baffles me.

At least they got their shit together...this time...

Edit: Dunno why people still haven't realized Nintendo reverted this whole thing quite awhile ago (or so it's said)

it doesn't matter when it seeps into Nintendo's philosophy itself