How long do Club Nintendo codes last before they expire?

Junkhead

You know, those codes that come with new games you buy which you can exchange for "coins".

I actually never bothered doing those because you had to fill in a whole page just to get, what, 40 coins? I'd like to, though.

I have a few lying around there and I don't even know if they're still viable.

Edited by Soul

I was able to redeem some from years before I decided to actually join.

You could just try? Worst-case scenario, you could call Nintendo and tell them the deal.

The codes aren't actually supposed to expire.

what are the coins for anyway

If you accumulate enough, you can redeem them for items, like messenger bags or nice felt pouches. You can also redeem them for a monthly-cycling list of Virtual Console or DSiWare/WiiWare games.

Also, if you accumulate a certain number of points within a year's period of time, you get to choose from a list of unique items for free, like a calender, free game, or a unique exclusive-to-that-year gift.

The code packed in the game doesn't expire but the coins do expire after about 2 years. Nintendo will give you a few months warning before you lose your points and ask you to redeem them. I used my Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn code years after I'd bought the game and it worked just fine. Since there's no expiry printed, I'd assume the only way they'd expire is if Nintendo trashed the whole Club Nintendo system.

200-ish coins is enough to get you games on the Virtual Console/WiiWare, based on a small cycling list. If you stay on top of the surveys, you can get around 50-60 coins per game. You can also register your systems for a year-long warranty extension and a huge chunk of coins, usually enough to be able to get something for free.

I've gotten HUGE Zelda posters, a terry cloth face towel, a tote bag, a pin set, playing cards, and a Mario t-shirt plus Paper Mario 64 for my Wii. They always ship to my house about 2 days after I redeem my coins, for FREE, so kudos to Nintendo for having such great shipping channels. The game codes arrive instantly via e-mail and can be redeemed on any system once, so you can actually gift your free games away.

Edited by Samias