Checking growths in a heavily-edited FE4 Rom

Miacis

Hello there,

I wish to check the growth rates assigned for characters in a FE4 romhack that has some pretty extensive modifications (FE Binary). Nightmare modules prove powerless against the extensive amount of ASM and other various changes, but I wish to check these growths anyway for the sake of an informative Let's Play of it that I'm preparing.

Is there a way for me to peek into the Hex of the rom to find those growths manually, or something of the sort?

I used a hex editor for this. Most of the growths didn't change much back when I played the hack, and I knew which ones were changed by how much, so I just entered the growths value in order and I was able to find them.

Mind you this hack probably changed a lot since 2008.

Well, the last edit to the Readme for it dates back from 2009, so I guess it's not so bad.

Thing is, I don't really know how to actually find those growths in a hex editor, as I'm quite illiterate on this whole hacking business. All I'm really asking is if someone could point me to either a synthetic tutorial for this, or provide a direct explanation. I haven't really found anything about it so far, but it's quite possible that I just got lost in everything around here.

There should be a search function that allows you to pinpoint the exact area where the growths are.

Let's take Azel for example.

Assuming his growths didn't change (and I don't think they did), his growths should be, without holy blood bonuses, 50%/10%/10%/20%/50%/20%/10%/20%. In a hex editor, this should be 32 0A 0A 14 32 14 0A 14. Try to search for this and you should be in business.

Since most growths are based on numbers ending in zeroes, you should be able to find a lot of 0A, 14, 1E, 28, 32, 3C, etc.

The only changes I really remember were Dew's strength growth getting nerfed to 20% and the Johas getting better skill/speed, whatever stat had a low growth. Hannibal also got a pretty nice buff too, but I forgot the specifics. Try to find them using their other growths, unless there's a changelog detailing each growth change.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

Yush, I managed to find all the growths for Gen 1. I guess I'll check the others when I get there in the LP.

None of them seems to have been changed in this version, though. Not even Dew.

(And no, there's no changelog, just a lot of bunched hex values.)

Thanks!

Edited by Miacis