What difficulty for a postgame/grind/maximin file?

Tables

After finishing my current file, probably after a break (mainly, all the good DLC isn't even out yet in Europe), I'm going to create a file for postgame content, DLC and the like. But I'm still debating what difficulty to do it on.

Normal will be quickest to grind, as enemies die quickly and the internal level cap is 20, but I don't know if the enemies in each level are fixed or scale with difficulty in the late DLC. If it scales with difficulty, then normal will likely be really easy in that DLC, so it won't be much fun. If it's fixed, great.

Lunatic might get slow to grind, due to being tougher and the massive internal level cap of 50, as well as not being able to kill spotpass/streetpass teams for EXP. But everyone will be able to get Paragon for 16 EXP per level minimum, and the difficulty and therefore fun of the later DLC will be higher.

I'll be playing on Newcomer, because battle saves should make grinding less annoying and the like. I might consider Lunatic+, but that would make even grinding frustrating, I suspect. My current plan for grinding was probably to send characters out in specific DLC maps (TBD after seeing them) and let them destroy everything, but Luna+ skills like counter make that a terrible idea, so I'd need to do something else.

Whatever you feel like for an Apo run. You need to have capped everything for that, so grinding is a definite... and Grinding is definitely inefficent on difficulties above Normal. (GG and Silver Card render the the cost of Reeking Boxes obsolete on Hard however, so it's not improbable on Hard).... Lunatic and Lunatic+ make things significantly harder due to eliminating Risen Skirmishes (which are frankly, better than EXPonential, and not as long as LB3)

Apo and Gold Pack is fixed in difficulty.

Everything else scales, and Future Past scales into Lunatic+ (Nothing else does).

As piss-easy as Normal is, the grinding part is also less of a pain in the ass since internal level caps at 20, and every time you reclass you get to level a bit quicker fo the first 9 or so levels in that class. Skirmishes are piss-cheap too and I found that Priam's paralogue on Normal is actually faster than grinding LB3 if you already have paragon.

I used it to do my support-library file and didn't regret it one bit. Maybe it's just because I don't actually like grinding but being on Normal made the grinding part less painful. If you enjoy grinding though Hard is probably better since it's slightly less piss.

One good use of Casual/Newcomer, too, is using a battle save instead of a normal save slot to save in supports then you can reset and unlock another one, if you're into support library shit.

Honestly, I don't really like the idea of grinding up, only to have everything be a total joke instead of being reasonable even with a non-limit broken capped team. Well, that's kind of what I'm hoping for at least, that the tough series 2 DLC on Lunatic would be reasonably tough even with capped units. Would I be right or wrong thinking that? I guess that's kind of gonna decide things for now.

I heard R&R3 is pretty hard on Lunatic with even with (non-limitbroken) capped units from a friend, but I have not done Lunatic yet to confirm myself. I don't have the Challenge pack. Future Past is absolute piss on Normal with capped units, but their stats are still a lot higher than most of the other DLC I have. My hard run was done on a friend's system so I can't check hard mode Future Past difficulties. FP is the only one that has the random L+ skill stuff though, so since every DLC but Apoth and lolgold scales, I'd think it'd be pretty difficult with nonlimitbroken capped units.

Apotheosis is the same on all difficulties, though.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Honestly, I don't really like the idea of grinding up, only to have everything be a total joke instead of being reasonable even with a non-limit broken capped team. Well, that's kind of what I'm hoping for at least, that the tough series 2 DLC on Lunatic would be reasonably tough even with capped units. Would I be right or wrong thinking that? I guess that's kind of gonna decide things for now.

Future Past is difficult on all difficulties (It maintains a challenge because you've got secondary objectives (Protecting the kids, who are going to be rather weak, regardless of what you do (Best thing you can do is pass on as many Aegies, and Limit Break your parent characters (+6 all stats)), from very high-level enemies and getting their converstions. It does scale like crazy into Lunatic+ where the standard Lunatic+ rules apply. (Haha... you didn't Spawn Block those sorcs on FP1? Capped Mire user with Hawkeye. Dead Kid. Nothing you can do.)) But the difficulty there isn't the enemy is threat to you-- but to the NPCs. (Unless Lunatic+, where everything is capped, and Counter, Hawkeye, Luna+, and Vantage+ is everywhere)

Apotheosis is the SAME on all difficulties. (Always difficult)

Edited by Airship Canon

Lunatic Late DLC maps are pretty brutal, mostly just because of hit increasing skills.

If you don't want to grind too much, Hard Mode for Post DLC content is about right. (It's even kinda hard to grind in lunatic with LB3 since things have 30-40 spd)

I would say Normal or Hard... Personally, the FoD chapters were really easy on Normal mode, especially the second and third one. The first one posed some difficulty to me at first, but it becomes piss easy if you have a few strong Galeforce units. Not even LB. So Normal mode is just really super easy whereas Hard might pose a little more challenge... so depends on how you wanna play it...

Though grinding on Normal mode is way easier than Hard.

Argh.

I really want to do Lunatic so I can grind up, and still have challenges (asides from Apotheosis) at the end, but I also want to minimise grinding time. This is frustrating. Hard is looking like an option...

Quick question: If I Paragon a unit, then the minimum EXP they can earn is 16 EXP for killing, right? That sounds like a reasonable rate for grinding up to cap the important stats at get the important skills, at least.

After finishing my current file, probably after a break (mainly, all the good DLC isn't even out yet in Europe), I'm going to create a file for postgame content, DLC and the like. But I'm still debating what difficulty to do it on.

Normal will be quickest to grind, as enemies die quickly and the internal level cap is 20, but I don't know if the enemies in each level are fixed or scale with difficulty in the late DLC. If it scales with difficulty, then normal will likely be really easy in that DLC, so it won't be much fun. If it's fixed, great.

Lunatic might get slow to grind, due to being tougher and the massive internal level cap of 50, as well as not being able to kill spotpass/streetpass teams for EXP. But everyone will be able to get Paragon for 16 EXP per level minimum, and the difficulty and therefore fun of the later DLC will be higher.

I'll be playing on Newcomer, because battle saves should make grinding less annoying and the like. I might consider Lunatic+, but that would make even grinding frustrating, I suspect. My current plan for grinding was probably to send characters out in specific DLC maps (TBD after seeing them) and let them destroy everything, but Luna+ skills like counter make that a terrible idea, so I'd need to do something else.

I have one just like this on hard. It similarly gets 16 exp per kill minimum and isn't quite as hardcore as Lunatic making grinding plausible with Auto-battle (use this all the time). Still, I've put in 100+ hours on the file and still don't have a couple characters fully trained to the point I'd like. [still have to do brady, owain, laurent, and one more I can't think of...] Hard's the best setting to do it on imo