SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Super Smash Bros Melee's international sales + Shadow Dragon's international sales (though it's admittingly nowhere near as much as Melee's sales) > Path of Radiance's and Radiant Dawn's international sales. Sure, Marth's appearance in Melee doesn't count towards appearing in Fire Emblem, but in terms of people simply knowing Marth, Melee alone easily makes Marth more well known than Ike, especially since there's quite a chunk of Melee players that didn't even touch Brawl (and learn about Ike from it) due to bad word of mouth from other Melee fans. I had the... uh... honour... of personally meeting Melee extremists that were that harsh towards Brawl.

And by your "Marth has always been unlockable, thus he's lesser known" logic, you might as well say that more people know who Lucas is than Luigi (definitely not true since Mother 3 is very obscure outside of Japan), or more people know who Ike is than Lucario (Pokemon vs. Fire Emblem: you honestly think Fire Emblem beats out Pokemon in terms of worldwide popularity?). It's very likely due to tradition and keeping the patterns that Sakurai keeps characters that started off as unlockables as unlockables in the later Smash Bros. games, and nothing to do with being "lesser known." I mean, Luigi is easily more well known than more than half of the Melee and Brawl default rosters, so would you really think being "lesser known" is what's keeping Luigi from staying unlockable?

Wait, where did I say that Marth is lesser known because he's unlockable? I meant that since he's been unlockable in both Melee and Brawl, he probably will still be. Not that that makes him lesser known than Ike. :/

Shadow Dragon did not sell well out here either, by the way.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, where did I say that Marth is lesser known because he's unlockable? I meant that since he's been unlockable in both Melee and Brawl, he probably will still be. Not that that makes him lesser known than Ike. :/

Shadow Dragon did not sell well out here either, by the way.

It did.

mvkl.jpg

Over 500,000 copies is really something. Europe's sold like crap (Especially, in comparison to the rest) is why that the rest of us suffered for not getting the sequel, or that it was the same reason as why AAI2 didn't make it for passing the release dates deadline. Only Japan and NA had it selling well.

Edited by Barbie

Hm. So they're different locations from the last demo?

The one in Cedar Park is more convenient for me than the one last year, so that's good. Now I'm just hoping I'm not scheduled to work that day.....

Probably false. If Shadow Dragon did so well, explain why New Mystery of the Emblem didn't make it out here.

Because Europe got the game before we did. We SHOULD have got it. But...Nintendo considers us overseas like Europe and that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Awakening

Development[edit]

The game was announced at Nintendo's 3DS press conference ahead of the 2011 Tokyo Game Show. Nintendo held this press conference on September 12, 2011.[40] On June 6, 2012, directly after a Nintendo 3DS software showcase at E32012, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that the game would be coming to North America under the title Fire Emblem Awakening.[41] The game's downloadable content was confirmed for release as well.[18] A free demo version was released on the 3DS eShop in North America on the week of January 17, 2013[42] and on March 28 in Europe.[43]

Due to the declining sales of the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem Awakening was meant to be the last title developed in the series, if the game didn't reach at least 250,000 copies sold.[44] Under such a huge pressure, Intelligent Systems had elaborate concepts that were new to the series, such as setting the game in the modern real world or on Mars; but in the end, they opted for the usual classic medieval fantasy setting.[45]

Nintendo didn't want to troll us for not giving us the sequel. Awakening was meant to be the last game in the series because of this...

Were glad it sold well, because my utmost favorite series would be over if it didn't. Means Japan won't be making anymore if it didn't. -.-

The series went near Mahanya after we didn't get Mystery(FE12). Why do you think that Mother died? Because of the sales reason. But...Mystery Of The Emblem didn't make it because, "Ah...I don't know." I could find no decisive proof of that. Where's VincentASM heartbunny when you need him? -.-

...And...We might be getting FE12...

http://www.theicecave.org/damage_control/2011/07/new-mystery-of-the-missing-loc.html

Evidence

May Go in the E-Shop

This might be a little worrying for the future of Fire Emblem localizations. If you're wondering, Fire Emblem DS 2 sold very well in Japan, meaning it's pretty likely that Nintendo LTD is going to have them make another game sometime after Paper Mario 3DS is finished. Hopefully Nintendo's western offices are ready to make a fresh restart with the franchise when there's a 3DS and/or Wii U entry. And if "western offices" use only refers to Nintendo of Europe, hopefully both systems will be hacked to break their archaic region locking.

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Nintendo. Can you really do this? PRETTY PLEASE? Said fresh start. Shoot. 2011. -.-

But...it could happen?

Edited by Barbie

My work schedule thankfully doesn't really affect this. I do work that Wednesday, but in the morning while the event is in the afternoon, and I'm almost always off on Saturdays. I COULD have to work that Saturday, but I get off at noon, so...

The main problem is convincing one of my parents to take me out to Raleigh since I'm still learning to drive.

EDIT: I see. I'm aware of the whole situation Awakening was in though. But thanks for explaining.

Edited by Anacybele

But...it's likely that we (NA's) didn't get the sequel due to time constraints (As the 3DS was made shortly by that time for our release date) for us and Europe for not selling well.

EDIT: I also just realized that the online shops cannot be used anymore for FE's11&12. So FE11(Wifi's gone forever), Elysian Whips cannot be obtained without cheats and that goodbye 3x Agains, Braves, etc for my Jap cart. -.-

Edited by Barbie

If anything, today's update confirms Ike's recovery is still terrible.

Probably false. If Shadow Dragon did so well, explain why New Mystery of the Emblem didn't make it out here.

Don't trust ANY of the numbers Barbie has posted. She's using VGChartz which is a source as reliable as my butt. Only thing worse than VGChartz is Wikipedia using VGChartz as a source.

Same site lists 540k for FE9 and 970k for FE7, and we know those numbers ain't right.

If anything, today's update confirms Ike's recovery is still terrible.

Don't trust ANY of the numbers Barbie has posted. She's using VGChartz which is a source as reliable as my butt. Only thing worse than VGChartz is Wikipedia using VGChartz as a source.

Same site lists 540k for FE9 and 970k for FE7, and we know those numbers ain't right.

Holdit_zpsad060b27.gif

I did find this on Wiki.

But...care to show proof of your claims?

Edited by Barbie

Oh, that was VGChartz? Then yeah, I don't trust those numbers. xP

As for Ike's recovery, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, Sakurai might have just decided to use Ike for the shot because he was just announced and doesn't have as much screen time right now as the others do. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, that was VGChartz? Then yeah, I don't trust those numbers. xP

As for Ike's recovery, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, Sakurai might have just decided to use Ike for the shot because he was just announced and doesn't have as much screen time right now as the others do. :P

He functions as before. He will be slow and having bad recovery.

-----

NA didn't sell like crap. That I already knew long before seeing that chart. Do you realized how many NA's were playing the series after Melee came out? It's because of Emulation and importing for us Americans is what got the sales to grow for us. Europe just didn't care, ...or knew about it.

As for FE's 9&10's sales, that I don't know about.

Edited by Barbie

Sakurai is trying to balance everyone more though, remember? He definitely might have tweaked Ike's recovery. As for him being slow, well yeah, that's a given, as making Ike fast the way he is would instantly turn him into Meta Knight 2.0 and we don't want THAT, I'm sure. xP

I did find this on Wiki.

But...care to show proof of your claims?

I'm not the one posting numbers. You're the one that needs to back up your claims.

And stop posting unnecessary images, it stretches the page and it's annoying.

Or she could just use spoiler tags more often...

But anyway, do you guys think we can expect Sakurai to talk about Ike at the E3 Smash presentation? I think so, as he didn't show off Ike using Eruption, which could foreshadow that he got a new move in place of it and stuff. And considering this thing is 90 minutes, he's got plenty of time to throw out some details on other veterans and newcomers as well as game features while he's at it.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not the one posting numbers. You're the one that needs to back up your claims.

It's just all that I've found and you seem to know something that we don't. Do you?

If whatever other source that you've found that Wiki's already flawless in, care to tell it?

did somebody say analyses demonstrating exactly what makes vgchartz complete bullshit and untrustworthy for anything resembling factual information about game sales

Analysis: What VGChartz Does (And Doesn't) Do For The Game Biz

to summarise:

• massive discrepancies compared to other sources, including the actual developers of the games in question
  • as of 2008 they freely admitted their data covers only 3% of the united states gaming market
  • revisionist tendencies: within a matter of days some of their claimed data has been significantly altered by a factor of thousands of sales, actually giving smaller figures compared to their earlier claims
  • for a significant portion of the time they rely on estimating figures without thorough evidence - not necessarily a bad thing and common enough as far as statistics go, but in combination with their other flaws? VERY sketchy

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919
How Charts Are Compiled
So, let's start with the basics. Most worldwide game charts (of which NPD in North America, Media Create and Enterbrain in Japan, and Chart-Track in England are the most prominent) are compiled by extrapolation from sales figures provided by retailers. Thus, there's no third-party that uses regular access to publisher data on sales to make the charts - all of them take in data from major retailers, and then calculate sales from there.
Going by stores sales suggestions is something to desire above wiki.

But how accurate is it? If I was, say, writing a story for the New York Times, what proof do I have that the 'correct' numbers are displayed on the site? Obviously, as mentioned above, all sales figures are by necessity estimates, and that's the crux of the issue - we'll get back to that later. But I asked Brett Walton his methodology, and he gave me the following, quite impressive answer:
Well...what the hell is this good for then? :/

Essentially, Walton is saying that he uses a number of high quality factors to produce his estimates, but can't mention any of the retail sources, or companies that VGChartz works with. Well, fair enough. But did you realize that VGChartz estimates can retroactively change by 100% or more based on 'official' chart results?
Yes. ...But how often?

In other words, for those high-selling titles, VGChartz is checking against public data, and they will change their estimates if they are majorly off. Most of the time, they are quite close compared to the worldwide charts.
That's good!

Conclusion
Let's be clear. I think the concept behind VGChartz is a wonderful one - freely available data to let everyone see how well games are selling. And it's absolutely true that all data is an estimate - not even major services such as Media Create and NPD get it exactly right.
But if I was a writer or analyst trying to extrapolate significant information from the resource, especially regarding those titles which don't chart regularly, given the major discrepancies with other figures shown here, I would not recommend it.
Evidence here says that they aren't right.
-----
So...in conclusion...no accurate chart exists. -.-
Edited by Barbie

Guys, this isn't on topic, come on... :/

I tried bringing up some Ike speculation too, let's keep up the hype for E3!

But anyway, do you guys think we can expect Sakurai to talk about Ike at the E3 Smash presentation? I think so, as he didn't show off Ike using Eruption, which could foreshadow that he got a new move in place of it and stuff. And considering this thing is 90 minutes, he's got plenty of time to throw out some details on other veterans and newcomers as well as game features while he's at it.

Edited by Anacybele

I wondered if they don't catch the fire on the capes from the Jetpack. The Jetpack is definitely looks like a good recovery item.

I did look at around in Wikipedia and Wikipedia doesn't use VGChartz as a reliable source. But, yeah, VGChartz does lack given their proof and no sources were shown which its totally unreliable.

Edited by King Marth 64

Ike with a jetpack is hilarious.

In other news who is going to be glued to e3 to see who is revealed? :P

It did.

mvkl.jpg

Over 500,000 copies is really something. Europe's sold like crap (Especially, in comparison to the rest) is why that the rest of us suffered for not getting the sequel, or that it was the same reason as why AAI2 didn't make it for passing the release dates deadline. Only Japan and NA had it selling well.

I think there's something wrong with the numbers, especially the European one. I don't doubt the fact that it sold the worst over here, but I took a look at Vgchartz and it only gives European numbers for 2012, 2013 and 2014 which is years after the game released here.

In other news who is going to be glued to e3 to see who is revealed? :P

I'll be glued, but mainly to see more Ike! WE LIKE IKE! :D:

Guys, this isn't on topic, come on... :/

how exactly is debunking blatant misinformation which is being used to support claims and theories about what ssb's content is going to be like off topic

or is the full extent of being on topic now nothing but vigorously fellating ike 24/7

I'm sorry, I was assuming that people were debating about Shadow Dragon's sales and VGChartz's credibility, not Smash Bros. 4. >_>

And Ike JUST got revealed a few days ago and people repeatedly wondered/debated his chances and if he was going to be in. Of course someone like me will be really hyped for awhile. xP