SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

There's a reason we ban Palutena's Temple, you know.

better ban megaman and sonic while you're at it

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpPPpvV4wVQ

MULTISHINING IN SMASH 4

NOW WHOSE GAME HAS NO TECH SKILL

So the glitch only operates while you have to use Reflector on the Spring or is there an another way to do that glitch?

And also, I managed to did test it on Little Mac against the Blast Boxes and more explosions. And he can survives it with Smash Attacks and Neutral B Special Move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQYNhdn2aX8

Same name and password. Diff ID

It's 3 stock 10 mins, no items (this time) Mii's and customs allowed.

Eh, sorry, but I'll have to pass. 10 minutes is far too long, imo. Like I said before, the first person, maybe even the second, to get knocked out of a four player match is going to wind up waiting forever for the next one with that much time.

10 minutes? That's pretty good for 3 stock. I think 8 minutes is the sweetspot but 10 is fine too.

I'll try joining tonight.

Eh, sorry, but I'll have to pass. 10 minutes is far too long, imo. Like I said before, the first person, maybe even the second, to get knocked out of a four player match is going to wind up waiting forever for the next one with that much time.

The old 6 mins would regularly go to time though. So I figured 10 would work way better.

The old 6 mins would regularly go to time though. So I figured 10 would work way better.

this. There were too many moments where we went to sudden death and near timeouts.

I didn't see many Sudden Deaths or near timeouts...

With two or three exceptions, all my matches ended in Sudden Deaths, including the few 1-on-1.

While I make it a point to end matches as quickly as I can (barring when playing as Robin, as an unfortunate truth of that character), 8 minutes for three stocks is perfectly acceptable. 10 is a bit much, but I find that preferable to too little.

Re: springs and down-specials: I've noticed something similar on the Boxing Ring stage with Counter-type down-specials. The specials would cancel your upward momentum, and the spring effect would cancel the special, in an endless button mashing-fueled cycle. It's more amusing than anything else (especially since Rush and Sonic's spring disappear pretty quickly after use, anyway).

With two or three exceptions, all my matches ended in Sudden Deaths, including the few 1-on-1.

Well, with two or three exceptions, all my matches ended the opposite. Huh...

I'm alright with 8 minutes, I suppose.

Edited by Anacybele

Holy crap the online lag is ridiculous.

I was in a 1v1 FG match with a Villager and the match almost went to time. Guy had all the time in the world spamming Loid Rocket and running away when my own reactions get delayed for 2 whole seconds. I managed to end the match by Up Smash punishing his roll with 20 seconds left on the clock.

And then the next match I had was against a different person and after 20 seconds everyone started to SD because the lag was so horrendous.

Nintendo, get more better servers plz.

Edited by Kiseki

Nintendo, get more better servers plz.

There are actually no dedicated servers in Smash Bros. It's only the matchmaking server that Nintendo provides for you to match up with other players. Once you have establish a connection together with 1 or 3 players, everything is done purely p2p. Meaning it is all on the player's connections. If one player lags then it affects everyone in the match. Nintendo's servers have nothing to do with the online performance of the game. It is all purely on netcoding and the player's internet connection.

Edited by kingddd

Then that would mean a lot of people have crappy internet which doesn't make sense...

You would be surprised how many people in the world still have crappy internet.

And I did say there are two factors, the netcoding and the player's connection.

The netcoding = the game's network programming side. Depending on how well the done the network programming is can greatly effect how optimized the connection can be. However there is a reason for why the game runs graphically slow. Lets take a look at Mario Kart 8's online performance. Everything runs very smoothly correct but there are the occassional graphical hiccups where you see players ramming in walls but in reality they never did? That's because Mario Kart 8's online does not need to sync in everything graphically which is why you may seen delayed responses for some actions. This means the game's graphical performance will be consistent with 60fps while at the same time have loppy graphical fidelities. Which is why many shooters in online where you have people complaining about how he shot the opponent why didn't he die first complaints. Not everything is purely in sync with one or another.

Smash bros and many fighting games are a completely different beast all together. Since it is a fighting game, everything has to be sync, All hitboxes, all items, every single player input, stage transitions and graphics. You don't want to go into a battle where all of a sudden you're battling a player and he's all of a sudden 50 feet in the air. Everything has to be in sync. This means the player's connection will have to constantly wait for updates from one player to another. Put in 4 players all those factors above with items and stage events makes the game chug even more since now all 4 players have to constantly wait for updates with one and another and it all has to be in sync. You can compensate this with input lag but no fighting game player wants input lag at all.

Edited by kingddd

That's not a bad idea at all, but you know you don't always have to turn EVERY item on when you turn items on, right? You can have only the Smash Ball, if you want. And also, when Smash Balls are on, every now and then, the player that's behind will respawn with a Final Smash as soon as they're KO'd. :P So a Smash Ball isn't actually the ONLY way to be able to perform a Final Smash. lol

That's not a bad idea at all, but you know you don't always have to turn EVERY item on when you turn items on, right? You can have only the Smash Ball, if you want. And also, when Smash Balls are on, every now and then, the player that's behind will respawn with a Final Smash as soon as they're KO'd. :P So a Smash Ball isn't actually the ONLY way to be able to perform a Final Smash. lol

Yeah but the pity final smash only comes into play when your losing by five points which just isn't likely to happen outside of a free for all or really high stock match.

You don't want to go into a battle where all of a sudden you're battling a player and he's all of a sudden 50 feet in the air. Everything has to be in sync.

Comes to think of it, there were times in Kid Icarus Uprising's online where the opposing team was literally floating on nothing.

They try to dodge, but I see them fly way off the arena, out of attacking range. And then they warp back and forth all over the place.

No wonder Kid Icarus doesn't lag online. The game doesn't worry about keeping stuff in sync.

I made a video talking about Final Smashes and how they should be handled in the future. I''d like to hear opinions on the idea.

So... Just like Marvel, right?

Or every other traditional fighting games that has a "Super Meter" mechanic, right?

Edited by Kiseki

Kid Icarus Uprising's online was hell incarnate...even in 1v1's it would be horrible. It's a shame too, for a game that requires fast reaction time to dodge and good aim to snipe. I wouldn't be able to tell if my attacks had landed or not because everyone was flying all over the place.

That being said, I do notice a slight bit of input lag whenever I'm playing Smash online, even if my opponent is close enough and has a decent enough Internet to not make the game actually lag. Come to think of it, I haven't played one match online without at least a little input lag.

Edited by Tragonight

Yeah, I get input lag online a lot too. And movement lag as well. Meaning, my character just plain moves slower than normal. Slower walking, slower running, etc.

I made a video talking about Final Smashes and how they should be handled in the future. I''d like to hear opinions on the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzoVp9QN0O0&feature=youtu.be

While that would be an interesting mechanic, I highly doubt that competitive smashers would be willing to implement it into tourneys. People are still upset over the rage mechanic, since it gives too much advantage to the losing player. Being able to pull off a super attack just because you're getting hit too much would make matches closer, but in a manner that many would consider against the competitive spirit. I can't imagine the endless complaints. If people really wanted it legal, the devs would need to heavily rebalance either stock counts and/or FS strengths. In a 2-stock game, having a super that can KO at as low as like 10-20% would be outrageously unbalanced. Granted, the player does need to surivive long enough to build up the meter. But imagine the leading player in that scenario: one second you're dominating your opponent and leading by like 100% in your final stock, the next second you're KO'd by a single easy attack. It would be infuriating.

This FS guage would significantly buff the heavies, though, since they generally take lots of damage every stock while KOing at relatively low percents themselves. And despite subtle improvements in SSB4, the heavies still do still need buffs.

Comes to think of it, there were times in Kid Icarus Uprising's online where the opposing team was literally floating on nothing.

They try to dodge, but I see them fly way off the arena, out of attacking range. And then they warp back and forth all over the place.

No wonder Kid Icarus doesn't lag online. The game doesn't worry about keeping stuff in sync.

Yep it's what many online games does to keep the graphical lag to minimal level. Other wise you'll get weird rubber bandings, characters flying everywhere or players in completely different locations if the player lags.

I have played many fighting games online especially on the PC and I have experience huge slideshows like smash bros online very frequently.

So... Just like Marvel, right?

Or every other traditional fighting games that has a "Super Meter" mechanic, right?

I honestly haven't played any fighting game that has a super meter mechanic (except maybe the Dragon Ball Z games? Sort of) but I am aware of their existence and I'm sure it's quite similar. Still though I was thinking about Smash when considering the pros and cons of how it should work. My initial thought was "How can Final Smashes see more use" rather than "Wouldn't it be great if smash had a super system like all those other fighting games."

While that would be an interesting mechanic, I highly doubt that competitive smashers would be willing to implement it into tourneys. People are still upset over the rage mechanic, since it gives too much advantage to the losing player. Being able to pull off a super attack just because you're getting hit too much would make matches closer, but in a manner that many would consider against the competitive spirit. I can't imagine the endless complaints. If people really wanted it legal, the devs would need to heavily rebalance either stock counts and/or FS strengths. In a 2-stock game, having a super that can KO at as low as like 10-20% would be outrageously unbalanced. Granted, the player does need to surivive long enough to build up the meter. But imagine the leading player in that scenario: one second you're dominating your opponent and leading by like 100% in your final stock, the next second you're KO'd by a single easy attack. It would be infuriating.

This FS guage would significantly buff the heavies, though, since they generally take lots of damage every stock while KOing at relatively low percents themselves. And despite subtle improvements in SSB4, the heavies still do still need buffs.

That's why I think editing the values would make it really interesting, and in many ways fun. You could have it so people are using final smashes near constantly, or in a more serious enviroment, have it so you can only use a final smash if you've taken the equivalent of 500% damage in which case you kind of deserve it for not killing them. Or set the penalty really high so that if you lose a stock you lose it completely. Even if it wasn't used in a tourney setting though I think it'd be nice to have something that gets Final Smashes out there more often.