SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Fox was KO'd by the smash attack... How was the fsmash affecting anything afterward?

Ike's smash doesn't matter. It was Fox who was charging an upsmash when Ike hit him with Aether (it's hard to see since it only lasts for a fraction of a second, due to Ike interrupting him). When you are hit while charging a smash attack, your knockback increases. A combination of Ike's rage and the increase in knockback due to Fox's smash charge caused Fox to get hit so far by Aether's first hit (which has high knockback) that he flew out of the range of the later hits of Aether and died.

You'd imagine Set Knockback would be, by design, set and unmodified by any factors. Logically since it's used for connecting hits changing the damage or handicap ratio in the menu settings shouldn't even affect it, yet here we are.

one would think so, yeah, but if you look at the formula you can see that the multiplier is applied last

[spoiler=the formula]r3WMAD7.png

one would think so, yeah, but if you look at the formula you can see that the multiplier is applied last

[spoiler=the formula]r3WMAD7.png

Hmm, I can see how that would make Base Knockback attacks tricky to get right since you'll want the r values to scale. Just doing away with the formula and having hard values for set knockback might be the best option though how that would actually work with other things might make it difficult. Also wasn't aware there was a penalty for crouching.

Oh! I think I see now. Though that formula stuff is just mumbo jumbo to me. I was never good with crazy formulas like that. It's a miracle I even managed to understand (and actually memorize) the quadratic formula, and even that I still messed up with every now and then in school...

Edited by Anacybele

Hmm, I can see how that would make Base Knockback attacks tricky to get right since you'll want the r values to scale. Just doing away with the formula and having hard values for set knockback might be the best option though how that would actually work with other things might make it difficult. Also wasn't aware there was a penalty for crouching.

fixed knockback wouldn't account for weight tho...which I guess might actually be desirable, come to think of it

also crouching isn't a penalty, exactly; it lessens knockback (to about 6/7ths of the knockback you'd suffer otherwise)

I mean it is a penalty, but it's a penalty to the knockback, not to the crouching player

That formula was perfected over years of - wait, why is set knockback affected by modifiers? The only time Ike should KO someone at 0% with Aether is when he is literally throwing the planet Aether at them.

I still don't understand why Robin is allowed to have a self-healing move while Ike isn't... Aether healed Ike in the Tellius games too. >.>

Edited by Anacybele

Aether is much easier to land then Nosferatu for one. Nosferatu is hard to land, and its reward is decent, Aether has a lot more general uses, and is rewarded in more ways. It's competitive balance

For 2 if every move worked like it did in their home game, we'd have quite the broken set of characters, (That goes for everyone in the game practically).

Well, I didn't say Aether had to heal upon contact automatically or anything. It can heal only if Ike makes a direct hit, which actually isn't easy. And only heal a very small amount of damage.