SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I just remembered something, there was some salt over alt. colors and alt. Characters, such as people complaing why there wasn't shiny versions of Pokemon, why there wasn't a SS Zelda, why there wasn't leopard print Dedede and there other examples as well, but you get the picture.

Granted this is small salt compared to the characters, but it's still impressive that some people get salty over something as small as alternate colors.

I demand Leprechaun Toon Link!

http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452033569e201bb078ea8cc970d-800wi

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, every newcomer and DLC character has been met with massive amounts of salt.

I was very weary about all the 3rd-party characters, but as I look at it and play as them, I'm pleased about their inclusions.

I was excited about every FE character, even Lucina. And I'm ridiculously happy that Roy is back.

I was excited for Duck Hunt and Greninja, confused at Wii Fit Trainer, and neutral about Dark Pit and Rosalina.

I was surprised at Bowser Jr., happy about Little Mac and Palutena, and curious about the Miis.

I was happy about the return of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Dr. Mario, although I did think Dr. Mario should have just been a costume.

I was conflicted about Cloud, but I feel excited now.

I eagerly wait to see which characters (if any) are shown tomorrow.

I'm with you, the only inclusions that made me salty was like WFT at first, but I warmed up to her really quickly and Mii's. I still don't think they really fit.

Cloud's inclusion made me as giddy as Sonic's in Brawl meanwhile.

Edited by Jedi

The only things Cloud and Ike even really share are their nair, and bthrow. Most of his animations are directly from FF7, Dissidia or new.

Yes the ideas for the attacks and their appearance are coming from his own games, but they still, incidentally, resemble a lot of Ike's moves. Like his forward aerial (arcs the same way though Cloud's travels lower), his jab combo (physical hit, physical hit, sword strike, the hit boxes are different but the rhythm of the attack easily makes it look as if it would be modified off Ike), his final smash (once again modified animations but still the basic principle of holding them in the air with multiple hits and a very similar ending) . I'm not claiming it's a straight up ported moveset like Lucina and Marth, but there are enough similarities that make me think they used Ike as a base and modified him. And that's not a bad thing. We might not have even got Cloud if they didn't have Ike as a convenient base. I don't think they're trying to hide it either since they used Ike as his enemy for Omnislash when Ike looks absolutely nothing like Sephiroth. Marth or Lucina would have been a more appropriate choice for the reference.

Edited by Jotari

Alot of characters have similar jabs and nair's though, am I to believe Mario and Sonic are based on the same model because they share a jab method? Cloud and Ike don't have any remotely similar stances.

Sure they may have some similarities, but Shulk also has an Ike like jab, does that mean his model is based on Ikes? I don't think so, alot of characters in smash share motions and they aren't claimed to be such, it would be absolutely lazy for DLC, if they made a model based on another (and we had reasons for that laziness 3 times already, and they were bonus additions before DLC was considered.) I'm not totally against what your saying, I'm more just thinking Sakurai wouldn't have been that lazy in designing someone like Cloud, please understand that too.

the way Omnislash is done in smash is similar to how mulitple FS's work in Smash 4 I'll give that, but its also similar to how he does Omnislash in Dissidia as well. With elements from the original

Also some of his animations of Dissidia there too, some of which made it into Smash, which could arguably be similar to Ike I suppose? the fair and dair in particular.

I think more the Ike being there is that he arguably has the best black costume among the FE'ers and that people in Brawls age modded Ike to look like Cloud, it may have been a little jab to them in particular actually, more so then them being based from the same model.

Edited by Jedi

I just remembered something, there was some salt over alt. colors and alt. Characters, such as people complaing why there wasn't shiny versions of Pokemon, why there wasn't a SS Zelda, why there wasn't leopard print Dedede and there other examples as well, but you get the picture.

Granted this is small salt compared to the characters, but it's still impressive that some people get salty over something as small as alternate colors.

that's reasonable though. there are 8 palettes, so even if a shiny one was included, there would be 7 more. lucario's skins in particular annoy me, since almost all are really dark and he didn't need around 4 shades of blue. it's not a big deal but it's still questionable.

Honestly, I can see where a lot of the "clone" Cloud debates come from. A lot of his attacks look like the animations were taken from other characters, not just Ike. It makes sense to me considering how much DLC Sakurai is wanting to put in the game, and so borrowing some animations saves time. Not that I'm suggesting Cloud is a clone at all though. It's a really similar situation to Smash 64 Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon, though I think it's fair to say that Cloud is less of a semi-clone than those two are.

Someone from Persona (or at least someone Atlus) is going to be in smash - Calling it right now.

That would be pretty hype, I'm kinda gunning for someone from Koei-Tecmo, because I'd love the idea of Hayabusa being there, I'd be all for SMT, Persona or things from Atlus too.

Alot of characters have similar jabs and nair's though, am I to believe Mario and Sonic are based on the same model because they share a jab method? Cloud and Ike don't have any remotely similar stances.

In all honesty, yes. They probably did use the same base model. Did you know Ness and Mario shared a base model when Super Smash Bros 64 was made? I'm sure the process of making a character almost always begins by taking an existing character and modifying them. Even characters like Rosalina who share absolutely no moves with any other characters probably began with Peach as a default so they would have a skeleton of some sort to work with. It isn't lazy, it's smart. There's no need to build something from scratch when you can sufficiently edit something else. That's how coding works, not just with characters but right down at the source code. The reason practically all sword users have the same 1-2 hit down smash is probably more based on ease of coding than any sort of balancing idea.

Also since Sephiroth is shirtless instead of dressed in black in that iconic scene I think swimming trunks Shulk would have worked better.

Edited by Jotari

Back to an earlier post of mine: is Nintendo's Youtube better than Twitch? I've used the latter for all their events, and the April Direct and everything post-E3 have lagged enough to warrant me quitting the stream altogether and watching later.

The update leaked.

This is the time to run.

Just saw Etika's video.

Oh, what the heck. I spoiled myself on the entirety of FE14. I'm not the most patient type if there's info already out there.

*hopes for Wolf*

If you are going to post anything regarding leaked content, please put it under spoiler tags--there are some people out there who don't wished to be spoiled. It would be very appreciated

Someone from Persona (or at least someone Atlus) is going to be in smash - Calling it right now.

"Jack Frost hee-ds the call, ho"?

I'm not even sorry

In all honesty, yes. They probably did use the same base model. Did you know Ness and Mario shared a base model when Super Smash Bros 64 was made? I'm sure the process of making a character almost always begins by taking an existing character and modifying them. Even characters like Rosalina who share absolutely no moves with any other characters probably began with Peach as a default so they would have a skeleton of some sort to work with. It isn't lazy, it's smart. There's no need to build something from scratch when you can sufficiently edit something else. That's how coding works, not just with characters but right down at the source code. The reason practically all sword users have the same 1-2 hit down smash is probably more based on ease of coding than any sort of balancing idea.

Also since Sephiroth is shirtless instead of dressed in black in that iconic scene I think swimming trunks Shulk would have worked better.

I see what you're going for, sorry if I sounded hostile in my post.

Yes, please don't spoil anything.

I'm watching it live with a friend tomorrow so I'd really like to get a genuine reaction with him.

All that I've heard about it is that tomorrow will show why it's great to be a Smash fan. Everyone who has the info isn't saying anything more than that.

Still nothing. People are really being tight-lipped.

...You think I can go to bed after this? I need to see something. The hype is already there; it either needs to erupt or be curbed before I can settle down.

We aren't sure on stuff yet, I'm hearing multiple reports.

Edit: Rest easy folks, nothing significant was leaked. Sakurai put out a small update patch, and we found only a few minor things that aren't really new. For the moment.

Edited by Jedi

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, December 15, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, December 15, 2015 - No reason given

EDIT: Better removed.

Edited by Jave

Back to an earlier post of mine: is Nintendo's Youtube better than Twitch? I've used the latter for all their events, and the April Direct and everything post-E3 have lagged enough to warrant me quitting the stream altogether and watching later.

I've used both and have preferred the youtube experience

We aren't sure on stuff yet, I'm hearing multiple reports.

Edit: Rest easy folks, nothing significant was leaked. Sakurai put out a small update patch, and we found only a few minor things that aren't really new. For the moment.

random tbush was explicitly saying "I'm not going to tell you what's wrong about the fakes because that would be spilling info in itself" which implies that they do have info, and random tbush has been pretty on-point previously

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, December 15, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, December 15, 2015 - No reason given

EDIT: never mind

Edited by Bullwine85