SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

If Zero would've got in, I would've preferred it to be based on his Zero series appearance. Not only do I personally prefer the design (no booblights), but all the weapons like the shield boomerang, Z-knuckle, recoil rod, triple rod, an so on would make for a much more diverse movest and shunt him out of the "another sword character" territory. Heck, cyber-elves could even make for an interesting gimmick.

I like the X design more myself, but I do like what you're saying here, all of the awesome Zero weapons would have been so cooool, also the rod jump could have been like a cool way to get an extra jump. Cyber-Elves as a gimmick, would it work kinda like Shulk's monado art stuff?

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very late to the party, but...

I actually really like Other M. People give it way too much undeserved hate, it's not bad at all.

I'm actually pretty content with the Metroid content. I mean, honestly, I'm not sure what else they could do for playable characters besides Samus. Maybe one of the hunters from Hunters and/or Prime 3? Maybe Anthony or MB? If the fans win out in the future, maybe Ridley? But really, out of all of them, only Ridley is one that would seem...I dunno, deserved? That's not the right word, there are several characters people say don't "deserve" to be in that are already in, but I don't know what other word to use. I feel like, for what the majority of the Metroid series is (Samus being alone), it's represented pretty well.

I do agree that Donkey Kong needs more representation. The amount of stuff it gets, from playable characters to stages to everything else, is really...underwhelming. I do think it deserves at least two more characters (preferably Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, and I would actually love to see Cranky Kong), maybe another stage and an Assist Trophy? *Shrugs*

I voted for Lyn in the ballot.

I'm not sure I'd want to see the ballot results, honestly. It'd just make me sad seeing how few votes the characters on my wishlist got.

I'd grant DK to have Dixie and that be the end of it character-wise. As for assists and stuff fine, but I think DK doesn't have very interesting locations compared to series like Xenoblade or Kid Icarus.

also if DK gets two new characters next game and xenoblade gets nothing I'll totally blame all the DK fans for ruining my life

Edited by Freyjadour

But Mario got 2 new characters this game, Kid Icarus got 2, Fire Emblem got 3, Pokemon got 1...and DK got none. 2 would be fine for DK.

They were also the only series with new characters.

Mario had four characters beforehand. Pokemon had six. Pokemon and Mario were justfiably made about equal in this game.

Pokemon got two cuts, and even after Greninja was still less than Brawl until Mewtwo showed up.

Kid Icarus doesn't count. Dark Pit does not count.

Fire Emblem? I don't count Lucina either. Robin was base, and Corrin was DLC.

I'm pretty sure that there's really no presidence. Not to mention that in Smash, DK is a Mario spinoff alongside Yoshi and Wario. I never see Wario or Yoshi given four whole characters. It's ridiculous.

They were also the only series with new characters.

And?

Mario had four characters beforehand. Pokemon had six. Pokemon and Mario were justfiably made about equal in this game.

Pokemon got two cuts, and even after Greninja was still less than Brawl until Mewtwo showed up.

Kid Icarus doesn't count. Dark Pit does not count.

Fire Emblem? I don't count Lucina either. Robin was base, and Corrin was DLC.

So? They still got new characters, whereas DK did not.

So?

Seriously? Dark Pit DOES count, and there's still Palutena.

Seriously? Lucina DOES count.

They count. Whether you like it or not, they count. They're in the game, they have their own character slots. KI got 2 count 'em 2 new characters, and FE got 3 count 'em 3 new characters. That's that, it is not a debatable thing, they don't "not count." They're in the game, they're new characters.

So what if Robin was base? That has literally nothing to do with anything. And so what if Corrin is DLC? With that logic, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy have no characters, Earthbound/Mother only has 1, Pokemon has 5, Bayonetta has NONE (which, judging from your profile pic, would upset you), etc....

"Justifiable." Yeah, no.

I'm pretty sure that there's really no presidence. Not to mention that in Smash, DK is a Mario spinoff alongside Yoshi and Wario. I never see Wario or Yoshi given four whole characters. It's ridiculous.

No it isn't. DK represents itself, it is not a Mario spin-off. It represents its own series. What do Wario and Yoshi have to do with it? Those two are actual spin-off series, DK is not. And if you want to get technical, then MARIO would be the spin-off. Guess who came first? Donkey Kong in 1981.

if you are actually complaining about the best characters (being the kid icarus characters) then what do I even say

well okay xenoblade is the best and the mother chars are cool but uprising is also in my top 5 games

like, having pit, palutena, and dark pit with bayonetta was beautiful

(also fun fact awakening is my favorite fe game to the point were if the only FE chars were Marth, Robin, and Lucina I wouldn't even be mad. Ike's also cool though)

Okay, I'll get serious or whatever for spinoffs: Wario Land and ESPECIALLY WarioWare are incredibly distinct from Mario. You could have Captain Syrup, Mona, 9-Volt, Jimmy T, or Ashley. That's five candidates. For Yoshi, he's not as distinct, but he's been around since Smash 64. He at least should have Woolly Yoshi or Kamek. Anything otherwise wouldn't be very fair.

Edited by Freyjadour

if you are actually complaining about the best characters (being the kid icarus characters) then what do I even say

Um...

And?

So? They still got new characters, whereas DK did not.

So?

Seriously? Dark Pit DOES count, and there's still Palutena.

Seriously? Lucina DOES count.

They count. Whether you like it or not, they count. They're in the game, they have their own character slots. KI got 2 count 'em 2 new characters, and FE got 3 count 'em 3 new characters. That's that, it is not a debatable thing, they don't "not count." They're in the game, they're new characters.

So what if Robin was base? That has literally nothing to do with anything. And so what if Corrin is DLC? With that logic, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy have no characters, Earthbound/Mother only has 1, Pokemon has 5, Bayonetta has NONE (which, judging from your profile pic, would upset you), etc....

"Justifiable." Yeah, no.

No it isn't. DK represents itself, it is not a Mario spin-off. It represents its own series. What do Wario and Yoshi have to do with it? Those two are actual spin-off series, DK is not. And if you want to get technical, then MARIO would be the spin-off. Guess who came first? Donkey Kong in 1981.

^Nowhere anywhere in this is there a complaint.^

And everything else you just said still has nothing to do with anything...you seem to just have irrational anti-DK bias.

well okay xenoblade is the best and the mother chars are cool but uprising is also in my top 5 games

You keep submitting your personal biases as arguments and you wonder why people keep calling you out on it.

i never actually said that my biases weren't biases

because as sad as it sounds I actually would be fine with any of medusa, hades, phosphora, magnus, and viridi if they were magically in the game too

and also Melia, Dunban, Fiora, Elma, or even Alvis

so uh could I just have Kid Icarus vs. Xenoblade as my go-to fighting game featuring guest characters phoenix wright and bayonetta

that'd be great

i also would unironically be fine with like eight kid Icarus characters considering how amazing they all are

i never actually said that my biases weren't biases

because as sad as it sounds I actually would be fine with any of medusa, hades, phosphora, magnus, and viridi if they were magically in the game too

and also Melia, Dunban, Fiora, Elma, or even Alvis

so uh could I just have Kid Icarus vs. Xenoblade as my go-to fighting game featuring guest characters phoenix wright and bayonetta

that'd be great

i also would unironically be fine with like eight kid Icarus characters considering how amazing they all are

It's alright to have opinions, but you can't talk down on or make arguments against Donkey Kong fans without anything substantial argue with.

It will never stop being funny that the two characters who were a two-for-one deal before are the best in the game now that they're solo.

The more hilarious part for me is that the two characters they were paired with are the usual candidates for bottom two.

Also the idea of having Dark Samus is hilarious to me because I've seen Brawl mods and it'd work out so well but all the salt from having three Samuses would be enough to fill an ocean.

Bigger issue for DK to me imo is the music. Gettin' really tired of having 8 variations of DK Island Swing.

Edited by squid kid

The more hilarious part for me is that the two characters they were paired with are the usual candidates for bottom two.

Regular Samus is climbing up in peoples minds, she actually has an ok or two high tier MU with like say Luigi and such.

She has some combos to her name too its just other parts of her just don't work and its baffling x.x

For DK music, all we really needed was the DK rap.

So sad that they don't have the full Melee version in Smash 4 ;_;

Lack of DK songs has nothing to do with Rare, does it?

So sad that they don't have the full Melee version in Smash 4 ;_;

I'm honestly not sure, I'm just glad we got a remix of Stickerbush Symphony back in Brawl and they kept it.

Edited by Jedi

While I agree with this to a certain extent, DK is still pretty under-repped for how big a franchise it is. 2 playable fighters, 3 stages across both games (only 1 being new), no assist trophies...If any series "deserves" more representation in Smash, it's DK.

It's been a few pages, but I just have to say something before the topic vanishes.

My main issue about this, apart from DK being under-repped is that K.Rool is pretty much the only character that could be considered as "missing" from the roster. All the big series (Mario, Zelda, Kirby...) have pretty much every important character in Smash. The only ones that I'd really consider missing are K.Rool and Ridley (and for safety reasons I won't talk about Ridley xD).

Though it's pretty clear to me that Sakurai thinks otherwise. It seems that he now rather focuses on adding as many unique things and new franchises to the game (which I actually like).

And besides character representation, what DK really needs in Smash are Songs that aren't DK Island Swing. Just a bit Bayou Boogie for me, please?

As for assists and stuff fine, but I think DK doesn't have very interesting locations compared to series like Xenoblade or Kid Icarus.

Have you played a DK game? There are so many things you could make a stage of. It's just that in Smash they seem to stick to the typical jungle theme because it's what most people associate with the games.

Hornet Hole, Barrel Bayou, Bramble Blast, Frantic Factory. Seriously, a giant bees nest would be awesome as a stage.

Well, they remixed several of the classic songs in the Returns games. I don't think that there's a copyrights problem.

Edited by Nova

Speaking about diverse locations, does anyone else feel they didn't really make full use of Xenoblade's Landscape. One stage between two games and it's a wide open plain that...isn't actually a wide open plain. Instead it's like one of the sample custom stages from brawl. Not an awful stage on the conceptual level but Xenoblade has so much more going for it. I think it a real shame Gaur Plains is all we got.

Speaking about diverse locations, does anyone else feel they didn't really make full use of Xenoblade's Landscape. One stage between two games and it's a wide open plain that...isn't actually a wide open plain. Instead it's like one of the sample custom stages from brawl. Not an awful stage on the conceptual level but Xenoblade has so much more going for it. I think it a real shame Gaur Plains is all we got.

omg this so much

would it really have been so bad to just have a traveling stage w/ junks flying around even if you can't do an amazing stage like idk

uh

tbh I'm not sure how to implement any single xenoblade stage they're all so like

"I'd want to travel around the entire stage aaaaaaaaaaa"

I think it may have been more "Let's not go too far in and potentially spoil stuff" only to add in three trophies pertaining to Seven and ruin Prison Island for anybody who hasn't played the game.

I think it may have been more "Let's not go too far in and potentially spoil stuff" only to add in three trophies pertaining to Seven and ruin Prison Island for anybody who hasn't played the game.

It was worse in Brawl when they literally spoiled the entire final area of Mother 3 lol.

The Xenoblade stage I really desired was Eryth Sea. You could fight on island reefs while the wonderful Eryth Sea music serenades you in the background.

obviously agniratha would probably be the best but I won't say what that is because spoilers

Man I want to see another random shenanigan style adventure mode again but with Smash Tour enemies and a story that isn't stupid. Why do they always try to make it more complicated then it should be? Like the first 70% of subspace was great, an evil force trying to destroy the world nothing fancy and all the dick characters and villains go out and wreck things while the main hero characters crossover to unite and stop them. Then the Tabuu thing showed up and the lore of the story just went to shitters and all of a sudden everything had to be overly complicated for no apparent reason. At least the CG cutscenes were worth it although some were so pointless. Like the part where Kirby and the optional princess are on the ship in the beginning and they just walked for like 10 seconds of gameplay and then bam random cutscene. I like seeing character interactions that's why I love crossovers and although the reveal trailer CGs are great, they don't give much impact with the characters being engaged with one or the other. It's why you still see people draw Metaknight with Marth and Ike still to this day

The Xenoblade stage I really desired was Eryth Sea. You could fight on island reefs while the wonderful Eryth Sea music serenades you in the background.

obviously agniratha would probably be the best but I won't say what that is because spoilers

I feel like Agniratha would be pretty boring and same-y tbh. My ideal stage would probably be the Fallen Arm because reasons, but Eryth Sea is pretty swell too. Edited by Euklyd