Just some splices

Canadian Dynamite

Well, I used to have a sprite thread on this forum, but I deleted it. I haven't improved much at all since it's been awhile so I've been sticking to splices. Critique appreciated, etc. Be as harsh as you want because I know something is off about the sprites I've done lately. Just let me know where the flaws are. Cheers.~

[spoiler=Spoiler'd for size in the future]

felixtransp_zpsfad08375.gifshamantransp_zps003ee3f0.gifthieftransp_zpscafbbf3b.gif

redprofessionalmotherfucker_zps2204e8a5.

danicamyrmidon_zps11ee5e35.png

Edited by Canadian Dynamite

For one, I spy a few mixed colors. Use only FE7 or FE8 styled colors.

Your eye positions are off on a lot of these. They're usually too close or too low on the head. For reference, the top of the ear should line up with the top of the eyebrow, and the bottom of the ear should line up with the nose. Work on cleaning up your lines and where you splice parts first.

For one, I spy a few mixed colors. Use only FE7 or FE8 styled colors.

Your eye positions are off on a lot of these. They're usually too close or too low on the head. For reference, the top of the ear should line up with the top of the eyebrow, and the bottom of the ear should line up with the nose. Work on cleaning up your lines and where you splice parts first.

Thanks for the keen eye. I didn't realize I had mixed some of the tones until later on. As for the eye positions, I'd have to agree with you there. Aside from some of the heads looking odd to me, somehow. I'd best rectify that post-haste. Thank you for replying though, I know there's not much to comment on.

I dont know if it's the colors but some parts of it looks really sharp and hard. Some areas are ok. I think they generally need more AA-ing or a pallette change.

gj on the girl. It just needs more cleaning. The guy in red could do well if you move the left eye and nose to the left side of his face by a pixel cause it looks like his eyes are really close to each other. he also looks a bit cross-eyed.

I dont know if it's the colors but some parts of it looks really sharp and hard. Some areas are ok. I think they generally need more AA-ing or a pallette change.

gj on the girl. It just needs more cleaning. The guy in red could do well if you move the left eye and nose to the left side of his face by a pixel cause it looks like his eyes are really close to each other. he also looks a bit cross-eyed.

Yeah, it might be because I was mixing the colours of FE6 & 7 with Sacred Stones. I don't really like the girl to be honest, but you're right, it does need to be a bit cleaner.

redprofessionalmotherfucker_zps2204e8a5.

Thanks for the tip for the red cavalier, I think that helped it look a bit better. I changed the hair colour so it would mesh better with the armour aesthetically.

danicamyrmidon_zps11ee5e35.png

This is an edit of Danica for tacthack's hack. The right shoulder-guard (our left) is what's giving me trouble, although I'm also annoyed by the collar. On second glance her neck could use more anti-aliasing.

Your colors are incredibly saturated, even by FE8 standards.

AA is needed everywhere; around the eyes, neck, hairline, nose, and jaw. Probably move the nose/mouth up a px, as well.

3nIbM.png

Rough blocking. The FE7 skin tone isn't working with the outline, and the trim needs more AA.

Your colors are incredibly saturated, even by FE8 standards.

AA is needed everywhere; around the eyes, neck, hairline, nose, and jaw. Probably move the nose/mouth up a px, as well.

3nIbM.png

Rough blocking. The FE7 skin tone isn't working with the outline, and the trim needs more AA.

Thanks, j e a l o u s y. The sprite had that outline and skin tone before I edited it for tacthack, but if they clash I'll change the skin tone or outline, whatever he prefers. Do you mind if I use your changes as a base? It's very kind of you to be hands-on with me. Could you tell me what sprites and in what way they're over-saturated? My most recent sprites posted don't use any custom palettes, although I'll assume part of the issue is that some of the sprites, such as the brown haired thief, use very dark colours for the deepest shades.

Forgot to note that this was aimed at the red cav.

Go ahead; that's what the blocking was for. It's just easier to show rather than tell, for me.

In regard to colors:

- purple in the first mug is really bright, not to mention they're all colors along the same saturation and hue; I recommend using a blend of hue/sat/values to achieve a certain color rather than simply adjusting along the line of light/dark

- red cav's red armor is pretty glaring, and could use some toning down

- Danica's hair is practically radioactive, but vanilla L'Arachel leaves much to be desired in the first place

Forgot to note that this was aimed at the red cav.

Go ahead; that's what the blocking was for. It's just easier to show rather than tell, for me.

In regard to colors:

- purple in the first mug is really bright, not to mention they're all colors along the same saturation and hue; I recommend using a blend of hue/sat/values to achieve a certain color rather than simply adjusting along the line of light/dark

- red cav's red armor is pretty glaring, and could use some toning down

- Danica's hair is practically radioactive, but vanilla L'Arachel leaves much to be desired in the first place

seconddanicaattempt_zpsb2d64e89.png

I actually experimented with Lugh's hair colour for a different shade of light green after you mentioned how bright it is but it just looked off to me. Thanks again for the rough-blocking, I think the sprite's a bit improved now. I went with FE8 skin tone since it had the FE8 outline.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm allowed to bump if I have new stuff to post, right?

3zMqL.png

Purple haired guy is basically a revision of the same indigo man I posted before. I know the knight's face looks really weird, but I'm trying to make him look chubby and I'll post an improved version of him eventually. I'm also having difficulty with spriting full custom wool trim on that guy's collar (let's call him Orlando for now) I can't reference Geitz because it's an entirely different style of fur I'm going for.

Yeah.

1) long neck

2) weirdjaw

3) blobhair

4) sagjaw

...and don't ever reference Geitz fur, please. It's terrible on so many levels. I'd recommend looking up SqRtofPi's fur spriting tutorial on YT, or referencing maybe the kings, Guinevere, or Hellene.

• 1 month later...