The Future of Griffons

Jotari

I always seem to be asking questions about the future of Fire Emblem. I see other people too. Perhaps there should be a section for future ideas on the site.

Anyway Awakening introduced us Griffon Riders as a third flying mounted class. Except they weren't in their own tree and even though they were a promoted unit they were axe locked. As a result they don't really seem to fill any niche roles in the game. Yet there is potential in the future. How do you think/want Giffon Knights to develop in the future? Should they remain as a promotion for Wyverns? What other weapons could they get (bows perhaps)? Maybe they'd be perfect to show case an armored flying unit like the great knight is a mounter armored unit. Let's here your thoughts.

Yeah, I don't really see much of what they got going for them...I only really chose them because it's so unique and innovative, and the fact it affords a little more Spd.

I'd like to have them have their own class tree and be the middle ground between wyverns and pegasi. And bow wielding fliers would be pretty cool and unique.

So now flying units are in more danger of archers.

Eh well flying units are considered a bit OP as it is so a few more bows would probably balance it a bit more.

griffons are just mythological mounts that IS put in that aren't wyverns or pegasi

don't expect them to return

I don't see what makes their return doubtful.

Edited by Jotari

griffons are just mythological mounts that IS put in that aren't wyverns or pegasi

don't expect them to return

Uh, what?

I see them returning. Maybe even as their own class tree.

I would give them their own class tree.

I would set it up like this

Pegasus: Main Stats: Spd/Lck/Res main weapon: Swords

Griffon: Main Stats:Str/Skl Main weapon: Lances

Wyvern/Dragon: Main Stats: Hp/Def Main Weapon Axes

Edited by Cyron

I'd swap Griffons and Wyvern's weapons since Griffons have only used axes thus far while Wyverns have always been using lances and in some games are sword/lance without axes at all.

I would actually give griffons swords because wyverns already have axes in awakening and pegasi already have lances in awakening. Griffon Rider would promote into either Griffon Knight (swords and axes) or Griffon Trooper (swords and bows), Wyvern Rider would promote into either Wyvern Lord or Wyvern Knight. And Pegasus Knight would promote into either Falcon Knight or Dark Flier.

Griffons is interesting. They should make them have their class tree and a specific character assigned to it. I hope IS realize this and give them more place in FE.

Giving them bows actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. A flying Archer would be pretty sweet.

Countering flyers with another flyer. Not too bad actually. Though Dark Flyers already have access to Rexcalibur

But, isn't that would make Archer even more useless? If they are not receiving some tweaking of course

I don't see what makes their return doubtful.

I don't see what makes their return likely or even something to expect, by contrast. IS has introduced classes before you never see come back.

Griffon Riders remind me of the Wyvern Knight class in FE8 that Wyvern Riders and Peg Knights could promote to and which was put in to complete class trees, and we never saw that class again. It would be just as easy for IS to make another wyvern based promotion that gets axes and swords as opposed to axes and lances or something instead of bringing back Griffon Riders.

That said, I'm not opposed to Griffon Riders being expanded upon if they return; I just don't expect said return. If they do come back and get their own class tree, getting swords upon promotion could suit them well, I think. I'd like there to be SOME flying class that gets swords.

Griffon Steak should replace Energy Drop for the Strength booster

I found them to be favorable over Wyvern Lords, because the extra Speed more than made up for the slightly lowered Defense. I wouldn't mind swordlocking them, to compensate for stats that I feel are better. Lunatic will probably want a word with me

I think they were supposed to be the supportive promotion while the Wyvern Lord was the offensive one, kinda like how Falcon Knights are more support based (with their healing/staves) than Dark Fliers (with offensive magic). Just a guess. I don't know that they warrant their own class, but maybe having them as an alternate mount for Peg. Knights or Wyvern Riders just for aesthetic reasons might be cool.

Too bad husbands and Manakete wives can't form a unique dragon rider unit in Awakening. I mean, Morgan is living proof that Tiki mounted my Avatar. It's only fair my Avatar gets to mount Tiki.