Oracle of Seasons and Ages

Chiki

Are they two completely different games or are they the same (as similar as Red and Blue, at least).

I'm asking because I'm 4 games away from finishing every Zelda game and want to see if I can bring that number down to 2 by finishing just Ages or Seasons.

The complete ending you get by finishing one game and then entering the secret password when you start your game on the other, plus there are a bunch of other passwords to get extras in the other game. So you'll have to complete the both unfortunately.

They're both excellent games though, so I would count myself lucky if I were you.

I had them for the GBC and I bought them both on the Virtual console 2 weeks ago.

I already beat Ages. I will play Seasons eventually. They are amazing games considering the fact they are for the GBC. Capcom did a great job with them.

edit - What are the othe 2 games you havent beaten?

Edited by Hawk King

The Oracles games are totally different. Same engine and lots of similar enemies/sprites and the like, but it'd be like comparing Fire Red to Ruby, that's the kind of similarity we're talking.

They're definitely worth buying. Some of my favourite Zelda games, both of them. The fact they have a linked game is icing on the cake.

Speaking of linked game, it works through a password system. So just as easy as before to play the linked version and get the true ending.

I have both games, and from what I can tell you, the only thing similar about the two games is that they use the same mechanics and some non-Link characters are present in both games(Maple, Vasu, Stockwell, Bipin+Blossom). The games have different overworlds, a different set of dungeons, and you can get certain items only in one of the two games. Furthermore, Seasons is more combat heavy while Ages is more puzzle heavy.

However, to get the complete story, you need to use a password that you get on the completed Seasons/Ages file and boot up a linked Ages/Seasons file. Playing through the linked game will allow you to access some stuff that wasn't in an unlinked game, such as the Hero's Cave, some extra items such as Lv3 upgrades and the Biggoron Sword, and some boss fights after Veran/Onox.

Edited by General James

So you need to buy both games on the Virtual Console to get the linked ending?

No, the passwords on the cartridge versions work perfectly on the VC versions, and vice versa. But if you want to get the linked ending, you'll either need both versions or a password generator.

The Oracle games are my favorite Zelda games and probably just all around my favorite games.

I recommend doing Ages first, but Seasons just has a better look of quality and it seems like they spent more time on tilesets and palletes for it.

To do the linked games, you beat the first one, imput the secret it gives you at the end into the second game, and then play. Along the way there will be new characters on the map that will give you secrets to tell back to someone in the first game. Once you do and complete any tasks they have, you get a second password to give back to the linked game for the same reward.

Also, in Seasons, there's a bit of sequence breaking where you can get the Power of Autumn before the Power of Spring and complete Level 5 before Level 4 because you don't need the Slingshot (Level 4's item) for the fifth dungeon.

Seasons is more focused on action and Ages is more focused on puzzles.

Also my favorite part is probably the Tokey Island Trading Sequence in Ages and the Tarm Ruins section in Seasons.