Explaining Frederick's Confusing Backstory

Donnel is from the country and is shown to be more than capable at doing plenty of things. Imagine him in ten years and you probably have Fredrick.

He hardly has an education though and he's like 13. He asks Miriel to teach him stuff in their support. xP I'd imagine Frederick began his own education when he was younger than that.

That's what I'm saying, Fred could be from the hills or whatever and still be the skilled dude we see today. He doesn't have to be a secret noble or whatever you're trying to suggest.

But doesn't Frederick seem a little old (and high ranking) to only have started knighthood under Emmeryns rule?

Here's how his backstory plays out in my head:

Before the old king started the big war, Frederick's family lived in the small village, while Fred's father, as an active knight, often spend a lot of time away from home at the court to fulfill his duties. So to follow his footsteps and be closer to his father, Frederick became a knight too.

He was a low ranking knight when the old king started the big war and Fred was very unhappy with the kings rule.

His father probably even died in the war.

But as it was his duty to protect the kingdom, he stuck with it.

And when Emmeryn became the new ruler, he swore that he would try everything, so that history wouldn't repeat itself.

This is pretty much what I think on Frederick backstory. The story when he was attacked by wolf in a forest probably happened before his family move to the city. It is possibly at that time Frederick's father isn't yet a knight or a high ranking knight. After his father get promoted, Frederick almost certainly get the education he need to be "well educated", but of course the education he received would never get the near level as Maribelle's since "commoner" knight and noble is very different from the start.

As for Frederick age, He's around his 27-30 I think. Remember though that He called Henry as "young man". If we consider Henry to be at least 17 years old, then I can safely presume that Frederick is indeed 27-30 years old. Well, for a knight that certainly not old. Heck, even Frederick just enter his primehood as a knight.

That's what I'm saying, Fred could be from the hills or whatever and still be the skilled dude we see today. He doesn't have to be a secret noble or whatever you're trying to suggest.

Secret? I never said anything about him being a secret noble. He'd know full well by now that he's a noble, and so would others. The only time that he WOULDN'T have known would be when he was little and wouldn't understand yet.

This is pretty much what I think on Frederick backstory. The story when he was attacked by wolf in a forest probably happened before his family move to the city. It is possibly at that time Frederick's father isn't yet a knight or a high ranking knight. After his father get promoted, Frederick almost certainly get the education he need to be "well educated", but of course the education he received would never get the near level as Maribelle's since "commoner" knight and noble is very different from the start.

As for Frederick age, He's around his 27-30 I think. Remember though that He called Henry as "young man". If we consider Henry to be at least 17 years old, then I can safely presume that Frederick is indeed 27-30 years old. Well, for a knight that certainly not old. Heck, even Frederick just enter his primehood as a knight.

I'm 23 and I've called 16-17 year olds "young man". 8U Then again, that's probably just me. I agree with this too.

Calill from FE9 was well-educated and sophisticated yet also a commoner.

She doesn't seem as much so as Frederick though, imo. But whatever, I like my theory. xP

Yeah, the difference is that one taught themselves magic and emphasizes the inherent and perpetual danger of it to her pupil, is a mother, and runs a successful business, while the other posts nude pictures of their liege for as many people to see as possible, thinking that to be his duty as a knight (and removing pebbles, of course - great example of knighthood at action played completely straight), and lacks the blatantly obvious common sense to know the difference between a "being a knight and being a nanny." That's clearly the paragon of education and sophistication. Frederick is MUCH more sophisticated. TOTALLY, "imo" of course. :rolleyes:

Joking aside, it's not Frederick's fault he comes from a game where hyperbolic caricatures and the driving force behind characterization. To suggest he's more sophisticated and educated than Calill just offends me to the point that I won't not comment it. Love her.

As for Frederick's backstory, my only issue would be that if his family has served for generations, I think that absolutely would include Chrom's father. Serving for generations means just that; serving for generations. Not serving for generations except when the ruler is bad because we don't want to associate characters that we like and their families with people who have done bad things. It's your vision of his backstory, though, not mine. I'm not about to try to convince you to change it.

Edited by Sublime Manic

Oh, I said Frederick's father DID serve Chrom's. But only until he started that war and requested that he leave his wife and young son for a long time to do battle.

Edited by Anacybele