A Couple Questions About Sound

Kngt_Of_Titania

I hate to pose two questions so closely together, but it's the first time I'm doing heavy event assembler work, so I guess it's to be expected. So, here goes:

A) I'm trying to have a sound effect happen when I bring units up (more specifically, skeletons in FE8, and instead of just having them pop up, I'd like to have a SFX happen that sounds like they're breaking out of the ground), but I'm running into a problem. My code for it:

SOUN 0x00AB
STAL 50
_LOAD1 0x0 label47
_0x0228 0x7 (this line prevents a black flash while loading units in FE8, for whatever reason)
SOUN 0x00AB
STAL 100
_LOAD1 0x0 label48
_0x0228 0x7
STAL 50
ENDA

Now, this works if I replace SOUN with MUS2 and MURE 5 in their proper places, but it also kills the BGM for the duration of the SFX, which I don't want. However, when I used the SOUN command like this, all I get is a black flash; SOUN is supposed to work in FE8. Anybody know what's going wrong and how to fix it?

B) Of a lesser importance, I noticed that when I try to change some songs to player phase music (mostly those used for scenes), it works fine at first but then cuts off when battles end. I ASSUME this has something to do with sound priority, but I'm not sure. Can anybody clarify?

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

B) Of a lesser importance, I noticed that when I try to change some songs to player phase music (mostly those used for scenes), it works fine at first but then cuts off when battles end. I ASSUME this has something to do with sound priority, but I'm not sure. Can anybody clarify?

I know that in FE7 this happens when you haven't set the music priority to Map Music in the music array? So you're probably right. Is it custom music or just vanilla FE8 music?

As for your sound effect issue, are you sure SOUN exists in FE8, for starters?

As for your sound effect issue, are you sure SOUN exists in FE8, for starters?

Well, the text file that lists the Assembler commands suggests so, at least.

FE6:

SOUN *Music ID*

FE7:

SOUN *Music ID*

FE8:

SOUN *Music ID*

Play sound effect.

Parameters:

Music ID = Sound effect to play.

EDIT: It's vanilla FE8 music, but designed for a cutscene. I just noticed it would work perfectly on one of my earlier chapters, and messed around with it.

as for sound, you should probably try disassembling some existing chapters to see how they do it

Been trying to, but I can't find a single example of a SFX that's not linked to enemy movement, forced battles, warp, breakable objects, etc.

I think I'm too rusty on FE8's storyline.

one thing you could do if you're ambitious but lazy (ie 95% of what i do) is to find some sound that's tied to movement or warp or something that you don't really need or could easily be substituted

like, say replace the armorknight walking sound with your rising dead noise and then spawn an armor knight offscreen

like, say replace the armorknight walking sound with your rising dead noise and then spawn an armor knight offscreen

LOL this is pure Genius!

Good one, Cam.

I'll probably do something like that now

Anyway I've already tried it too, SOUN doesn't work in FE8.

I think you'll just have to stick with MUS2 and kill the BGM for a while (like I usually do, and it isn't that bad), or find a workaround like the one suggested by Cam.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

just remember to mark it thoroughly with comments so you can remember what it's for wheny ou come back to it in 6 months

also as a programmer i hate undocumented code

one thing you could do if you're ambitious but lazy (ie 95% of what i do) is to find some sound that's tied to movement or warp or something that you don't really need or could easily be substituted

Quick question, though.

If one of my units HAPPENS to be standing on the tile offscreen, wouldn't that screw up this process?

Been trying to, but I can't find a single example of a SFX that's not linked to enemy movement, forced battles, warp, breakable objects, etc.

I think I'm too rusty on FE8's storyline.

Isn't there a cutscene in FE8 involving an earthquake, its noise, and a screen-shake effect? If so, perhaps you should consult that event, perhaps discovering how they got the quake effect to work.

Quick question, though.

If one of my units HAPPENS to be standing on the tile offscreen, wouldn't that screw up this process?

Offscreen doesn't necessarily mean offmap.

Isn't there a cutscene in FE8 involving an earthquake, its noise, and a screen-shake effect? If so, perhaps you should consult that event, perhaps discovering how they got the quake effect to work.

Ephraim route, chapter 10, beginning scene, if someone is interested in investigating that. ;)

Quick question, though.

spawn them so that they're forced to move

they don't need to stay on the map for long (hell, you should be despawning them pretty much instantly) you just need them to move enough for the sound to play

alternately spawn them on impassable terrain

Edited by CT075