Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

Best-case scenario is they hire Paolo di Canio, it's all lining up for them.

Oh yeah, other stuff that's happened over the course of the season is that Jaliens (their captain, just got sacked) basically ended a post-match interview with "yeah, sometimes the other ten players just fuck up!" One of their key signings, Jonny 'three northern ireland caps!!' Steele made two crap appearances and then disappeared and nobody knows what's happened to him. And, of course, the owner's looking desperately to sell.

Since nobody cares about the A-League I stopped doing weekly updates but, hell, the current table is;

34f9836b0f35b30e34a98c9fd35a5db3.png

Observe how Western Sydney Wanderers, champions of Asia, have not won a game domestically. In fact our three ACL representatives for this season are Brisbane, Central Coast and WSW, as in 'all fucking terrible'.

Edited by Parrhesia

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people flunking their geography classes

brazilian state championships returned today. Palmeiras, the team I support, has around 90% of their squad renewed, when compared to 2014, when they escaped relegation in the Brazilian League.

THINGS ARE LOOKING GOOD, FUCKIN FINALLY

• 2 weeks later...

Champion's League is back, and on tv for me to watch!

You guys looking forward to much in the second round?

Ideal outcome is Dortmund win the Champion's League and get relegated in the same season.

And, hell, the same thing happening to Western Sydney... well, with '10th place' instead of relegation.

Ideal outcome is Dortmund win the Champion's League and get relegated in the same season.

And, hell, the same thing happening to Western Sydney... well, with '10th place' instead of relegation.

Not unheard of. Libertadores already had second-tier teams contesting it. Palmeiras was relegated in the Brazilian Série A in 2012 but qualified for the 2013 Libertadores because they won (with huge help from the referees in the first leg, truth be told) the 2012 Brazilian Cup. That's possible in South America because in some countries the cup winners qualify for the Libertadores, so you could hypothetically see even fourth-tier Brazilian teams in the tournament provided they won the national cup.

Santo André and Paulista were other Brazilian teams that contested the Libertadores without being in the highest tier of Brazilian football.

If Dortmund won the Champions League and was relegated in the Bundesliga they'd still qualify to the next Champions League unless UEFA has some stupid rule that doesn't allow relegated teams to contest the highest tier of European football. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason the national cups in Europe don't qualify for the Champions League, actually. If they were to change it, it would have to be mandated from above (UEFA ruling), because the national leagues would never give up one of their Champions League spots to the football associations, effectively making the latter more powerful in the process. It happens in Brazil because the CBF is responsible for both the Série A and the Copa do Brasil.

Edited by Cerberus87

Sadly(no UCL) but fortunately(no relegation), not gonna happen. Borussia is the 2nd biggest team in Germany, I'd say.

Not unheard of. Libertadores already had second-tier teams contesting it. Palmeiras was relegated in the Brazilian Série A in 2012 but qualified for the 2013 Libertadores because they won (with huge help from the referees in the first leg, truth be told) the 2012 Brazilian Cup.

And we actually would've gone even further if we weren't fucked by the ref on the second leg :(

But hey, Palmeiras x Coritiba was a nice game even tho we had help

Well, this is going to suck.

Champion's League for the next couple of weeks and I'm doing closings at my bar. Which means, I get out at like 5 AM. And since we're the only English speaking bar in the area... I'm screwed.

TBH the most interesting UCL matches are when average sides meet, like Basel-Porto or Arsenal-Monaco (sorry Gunners, but Arsenal's been pretty much extra weight in the recent UCLs).

Real Madrid-Schalke is pointless, because it's almost a bye for Real Madrid. Schalke is the German Arsenal, does well in domestic competition then sucks at European level (except Arsenal can actually put up a fight). Even with five defenders and three back midfielders Schalke conceded two goals. I'm hoping someone else knocks Schalke out of UCL qualification this year, but it's hard because they always find a way to squeeze themselves in, exactly like Arsenal. Or at least send Schalke to the playoffs, where the team has a big chance of bombing.

Western Sydney Wanderers have one win from like 17, 18 domestically (counting the cup against a semi-professional side) and they opened their ACL campaign with a 3-1 win, what the fuck.

It's happening. The wooden spoon and title defence is happening.

What did I say? Arsenal 1-3 Monaco. These guys always qualify for the UCL, and always play a pitiful role. I hope they finish 5th in the Premier League this year. I'm tired of Arsenal in the UCL.

Monaco does have a pretty darn good defense, too. Only 4 goals conceded in the UCL so far IIRC, not a bad job at all.

Still, on paper Arsenal has a way better squad. Shame Giroud was more like shitroud amirite

Monaco does have a pretty darn good defense, too. Only 4 goals conceded in the UCL so far IIRC, not a bad job at all.

Still, on paper Arsenal has a way better squad. Shame Giroud was more like shitroud amirite

They do, but in previous years the excuse was "we drew Barcelona/Milan/Bayern". This time, there's no such excuse. Arsenal bombed hard.

Honorable mention to Liverpool who were eliminated by Besiktas yesterday. They don't give a shit about the Europa League anyway, so good riddance.

Well, they should care a bit. Getting eliminated by the 3rd force in TURKEY is shameful. They alredy have a pretty weak squad, taking a loss like that lightly is ridiculous.

Maybe Western Sydney just dont give a damn about A-League and only push for the ACL...not that its a very wise idea

I think they were just shit at first but by this stage it's not like they have anything to play for, they're coming 9th no matter what (no way this trainwreck Newcastle side doesn't finish last in the end)

Then again they left five guys (including Covic ffs!) back in Australia, so... ?

Real Madrid was lucky to be the "bigger" against Schalke today. The german side was robbed of a historical win today, if they managed to get that 5-3 they would be down in history.

Shame the referee had other plans in mind.

Real Madrid was lucky to be the "bigger" against Schalke today. The german side was robbed of a historical win today, if they managed to get that 5-3 they would be down in history.

Shame the referee had other plans in mind.

As much as I wanted Schalke to win (man, it feels weird rooting FOR Schalke for once), we can point to many things other than officiating. Not scoring in the home leg, Casillias making crucial saves near the end. Leaving CR7 unmarked for his 2nd goal, etc.