Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

Maccabi Tel Aviv has done absolutely crap in its return to Champion's League. Lost all three games (Chelsea/Dynamo Kiev/Porto) with a combined score of... wait for it... 8-0.

Seriously. Not a single fucking goal. Israelis suck at soccer.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah like Chelsea and Porto are both heavy hitters and Kiev I think are last season's Europa League runners-up. Feel free to talk about the fully sick local club you support though, I keep meaning to but there's a slim possibility of a Canberra side being announced for the A-League and I'm waiting for the fallout of that before I spend a lot of time on a Sydney post.

Related, in fact; the A-League's considering kicking Wellington Phoenix out. All the other 9 teams have licenses taking them to 2034. Theirs expires at the end of the season.

Can think of several cons and a couple pros; Wellington, naturally, come from New Zealand. NZ is OFC. The AFC don't like having a team from another confederation in the A-League. The Phoenix themselves are weirdly neither OFC nor AFC - excluded from the Champions' League of either. They're the sole professional club in Oceania. They don't draw in a large market but they're financially pretty viable as opposed to trainwrecks like Brisbane or Newcastle, and they're a hell of a lot more stable than Adelaide or Central Coast on top of that. The FFA are hinting at a south Sydney team which would gut Sydney FC's catchment by a third. It's so fucking stupid and they still don't have a team in the capital. I hate our corrupt money-spinning football federation but it's still better than our last, corrupt, money-haemorrhaging football federation.

:smug:also western sydney are bad :smug:

Edited by Parrhesia

I'm not caring too much about Euro football ATM because IMO everyone's doing their best to kill it. Germany and France leagues are a bore, Spain is less of a bore but still a bore, Italy is in ruins and now even the EPL seems to be relatively bad because the squads aren't as good as in recent years. The Champions League itself sucks now, only the same three teams are clear favorites, you don't have anymore Milan, Juventus, Manchester United, Liverpool with strong teams, Juventus made it as far as the final last year beating Real Madrid on the way but they'd never win against Barcelona.

Hey, at least the Italian Serie A is not having a single team taking a 1230980123b point lead, so at least it's gonna have some form of competition.

Even TORINO (bless that team) was going for the G4 a few rounds back. Fiorentina, Inter, Roma, Napoli, Lazio... all apart by like 2 or 3 points. Good stuff.

Hey, at least the Italian Serie A is not having a single team taking a 1230980123b point lead, so at least it's gonna have some form of competition.

Even TORINO (bless that team) was going for the G4 a few rounds back. Fiorentina, Inter, Roma, Napoli, Lazio... all apart by like 2 or 3 points. Good stuff.

That's the problem, the real top dogs Milan and Juventus aren't in the fight. :P

The Serie A is competitive this season but the overall level is pretty low. Mismanagement of the FIGC killed the Azzurra and decline of the old moguls weakened Milan and Inter and, by consequence, the league.

Edited by Cerberus87

The fact that established sides like Chelsea, Juventus and to a lesser degree Barcelona are imploding is really good and cool. Football needs levelling out, badly.

Football needs levelling out, badly.

This statement does include Germany, you realise...

The bubble will burst eventually, though. I have faith in that much.

I guess Cerberus does have a point. Many traditional clubs got lost with time, and lately everything is revolving around the big 3 - Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. The last underdog who actually won the UCL was Chelsea back in 11/12.

Internal crisis, corruption and mismanagement are only hurting the sport as a whole, and increasing the disparity between clubs. There is simply no limit to bigger clubs harvesting talents from other teams and crippling their overall performance, just look at what Bayern did to their competition.

Yeah, for sure. I like the big clubs imploding, I just want Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern to follow suit. And keep in mind Barcelona would have to leave the Spanish system if Catalonia declares independence...

This statement does include Germany, you realise...

The bubble will burst eventually, though. I have faith in that much.

The problem is what I read in your argument was that you were content with any kind of leveling, but what's happening in Italy is leveling at a much lower level than before. Juventus won consecutive Serie A championships because they were head and shoulders above the competition. The fact Juventus dropped off and other teams are at the top now does not mean these teams are as good as recent Juventus. They're largely the same as before and can only be at the top because there's no longer a Juventus type of team to rise above them. If you put Inter and Fiorentina in this year's Champions League they'd be very bad, like Roma and Napoli were in recent years.

I want to see excellence. Up until the mid-2000s you had widespread excellence in most of the big leagues. Sadly it's no longer the case. Concentrated power is a bad thing, but not any different from widespread mediocrity.

Meanwhile, MLS playoffs have been bonkers, with two matches going into extra time today, including a penalty shootout between FC Dallas and Seattle. This wouldn't be TOO crazy, except three goals were scored in the last 10 minutes of regulation to keep the scores level on aggregate. (Seattle won the first leg 2-1, while Dallas won this leg 2-1, so ET and penalties were needed)

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, in World Cup qualification, the US beat St. Vincent and the Grenadines 6-1 to start off qualifying, while drawing 0-0 at Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday to sit atop Group C of CONCACAF 4th round qualifying with 4 points.

While the performance in Trinidad wasn't very good at all (to say the least), considering our horrible form as of late and the fact that it's an away match in CONCACAF (where anything goes), I'll take the point.

and people in brazil (dunno about the USA or Europe) still say "USA will be the future world champions" ever since 94. as likely as belgium winning shit

and people in brazil (dunno about the USA or Europe) still say "USA will be the future world champions" ever since 94. as likely as belgium winning shit

Belgium is a one-eyed king in the land of the blind. They're just good enough to beat mediocre teams (yes, current Italy is mediocre), but nowhere near good enough to dominate, nor create good football.

Chile is a sort of Belgium of South America. Chile is a good team but the only reason it was capable of winning the Copa America was that the stronger sides were completely disorganized despite having more talent. In the Qualifiers we're seeing "real" Chile. Everyone says that Chile are "the best team in South America" but forget this very team didn't have the guts to put the 7-1 Brazil out of its misery in the 2014 WC's Round of 16.

The fact teams like Chile and Belgium are high up in the foodchain is proof that international football is at a mediocre level. IMO the German team that won 2014 WC wasn't all that great compared to other lineups in German history, it had the potential to play well but it had some unforgivable difficult moments against weak teams like Ghana and especially Algeria. Germany suffers from Reus being made of glass, lack of good wingers with Lahm retirement, Özil overhype, and Götze failing to live up to his potential. I'll give them a pass for the tiresome season, though. Schweini was heroic in the final.

But the WC wasn't very impressive. None of the semifinalists showed anything different apart from guardiolized Germany which never shone as bright as classic WC squads, maybe with exception of SF against Brazil, but that Brazil was laughable to say the least, Netherlands and Argentina would also have a field day with it.

During the German bad years from 1999-2006 I knew someone who supported Italy and mocked my support of Germany after repeated disastrous campaigns by Germany in the European Championships. Well, today Germany are reigning World Champions and Italy are the mediocre ones who can't even make it past group stage. How times change!

Edited by Cerberus87

I agree with moooooooooooost of it.

WC'14 Germany is actually a pretty fucking good squad. Certainly better than their squads in the Corea/Japan and Germany World Cups (lol, Ballack as your squad's star), and a way younger team overall. Lots of talent even with some very good players hurt like Reus and Gundogan.

Of course when you compare it against Germany '74 it pales in comparison, but not many squads in the history of the WC or continental tournaments can say they are better.

A country that shouldn't have won the WC the way it did was Spain. Fucking worst champions ever.

WC'14 Germany is actually a pretty fucking good squad. Certainly better than their squads in the Corea/Japan and Germany World Cups (lol, Ballack as your squad's star), and a way younger team overall. Lots of talent even with some very good players hurt like Reus and Gundogan.

Of course when you compare it against Germany '74 it pales in comparison, but not many squads in the history of the WC or continental tournaments can say they are better.

A country that shouldn't have won the WC the way it did was Spain. Fucking worst champions ever.

2002 Germany....Oliver Kahn dragged that team kicking and screaming to the final (and now I'm still having nightmares about Frings' handball vs. us in the QF)

Spain scored 8 goals while winning the 2010 World Cup, the fewest goals ever scored by a World Cup champion. And then afterwards all I heard was that Spain played "beautiful, attacking football" lol no

2k2 had Kahn, Klose and the easiest bracket. However the one most people consider the MASTERMIND, the CRAQUE JOGA BONITO was Ballack, which is quite sad. Ohhh if only he played in the finals Brazil wouldn't had won so easily.........

2014 was an incredible World Cup and I will fight people with incorrect opinions. That said, it's no secret that international football isn't of the quality of the highest levels of the club game and hasn't been for ages, but is that such a bad thing? It's not like quality of a team corresponds 100% with quality of entertainment.

The main difference with the international game is something I really find interesting - the whole 'you can't just buy a good player in X position' aspect (German strikers, anyone?) - and, another factor which is kind of annoying to be fair, the total lack of chemistry most teams show. But I'd say the spectacle of the truly big occasions (not, say, walking over Bangladesh) makes it all worth it.

2014 was an incredible World Cup and I will fight people with incorrect opinions. That said, it's no secret that international football isn't of the quality of the highest levels of the club game and hasn't been for ages, but is that such a bad thing? It's not like quality of a team corresponds 100% with quality of entertainment.

The main difference with the international game is something I really find interesting - the whole 'you can't just buy a good player in X position' aspect (German strikers, anyone?) - and, another factor which is kind of annoying to be fair, the total lack of chemistry most teams show. But I'd say the spectacle of the truly big occasions (not, say, walking over Bangladesh) makes it all worth it.

The event was one of the best ever if not the best, but the play wasn't that great. There wasn't a team that brought innovation to the game, which is a consequence of professional club football being more competitive nowadays. Even the 2010 Spanish squad was a child of Pep Guardiola's renovation of Barça, thus born in club football not international.

Well of course I prefer 2014 Germany to the absolute disaster that was 2002 Germany! 2002 Germany was the only German team in recent history that needed to win the playoffs to qualify for a big competition, and that generation will remain in history as the team who suffered the worst humiliation by a German squad in modern football (5-1 loss to England in Munich).

2002 WC was pretty fucked up. France and Argentina were clear favorites. But Zidane was crippled and Argentina... I don't remember what happened to Argentina actually, probably a case of overconfidence. Anyway, Germany shouldn't have been anywhere near the final. The aforementioned France and Argentina were much stronger, and Italy and Spain were knocked out by bribed referees.

The disastrous 2000 and 2004 Euro championships gauge that German generation much better than the 2002 WC, even the Germans themselves admit it.

2002 Germany....Oliver Kahn dragged that team kicking and screaming to the final (and now I'm still having nightmares about Frings' handball vs. us in the QF)

Spain scored 8 goals while winning the 2010 World Cup, the fewest goals ever scored by a World Cup champion. And then afterwards all I heard was that Spain played "beautiful, attacking football" lol no

Spain had the Guardiola tiki-taka but no forward men to score goals with. It's a shame they outlasted Germany in the SF because Germany played more offensive football, but Löw stupidly decided to "wait" for Spain and was engulfed by their tiki-taka until Spain got that fatal corner kick.

Well of course I prefer 2014 Germany to the absolute disaster that was 2002 Germany! 2002 Germany was the only German team in recent history that needed to win the playoffs to qualify for a big competition, and that generation will remain in history as the team who suffered the worst humiliation by a German squad in modern football (5-1 loss to England in Munich).

2002 WC was pretty fucked up. France and Argentina were clear favorites. But Zidane was crippled and Argentina... I don't remember what happened to Argentina actually, probably a case of overconfidence. Anyway, Germany shouldn't have been anywhere near the final. The aforementioned France and Argentina were much stronger, and Italy and Spain were knocked out by bribed referees.

The disastrous 2000 and 2004 Euro championships gauge that German generation much better than the 2002 WC, even the Germans themselves admit it.

Spain had the Guardiola tiki-taka but no forward men to score goals with. It's a shame they outlasted Germany in the SF because Germany played more offensive football, but Löw stupidly decided to "wait" for Spain and was engulfed by their tiki-taka until Spain got that fatal corner kick.

2002 was probably the weirdest World Cup out there. Weird officiating, weird start times due to it being in Korea/Japan, weird results meaning France and Argentina were knocked out in the group, while half of the quarter finalists consisted of Turkey, Senegal, the USA, and South Korea.

I still insist that Spain had more right to complain about bribed referees than the Italians did. We wouldn't even be talking about this if Vieri hadn't missed a wide open net in the 89th minute vs. South Korea, one of the easiest chances Italy had the entire tournament. Or if Italy hadn't conceded in the 88th minute. Italy still had many chances to win that game, despite some of the most corrupt officiating of all time.

Spain on the other hand? They had two legitimate goals wrongfully called back.

As far as that German team goes...without Kahn, they would have been toast. I feel that Paraguay, the USA (still bitter about that Frings handball that wasn't called), and South Korea played better vs. Germany in the knockout stages, but when Kahn puts up a performance so phenomenal that he becomes the first (and so far, only) goalkeeper to win the Golden Ball in World Cup history, that says a lot.

Edited by Bullwine85

2002 was probably the weirdest World Cup out there. Weird officiating, weird start times due to it being in Korea/Japan, weird results meaning France and Argentina were knocked out in the group, while half of the quarter finalists consisted of Turkey, Senegal, the USA, and South Korea.

I still insist that Spain had more right to complain about bribed referees than the Italians did. We wouldn't even be talking about this if Vieri hadn't missed a wide open net in the 89th minute vs. South Korea, one of the easiest chances Italy had the entire tournament. Or if Italy hadn't conceded in the 88th minute. Italy still had many chances to win that game, despite some of the most corrupt officiating of all time.

Spain on the other hand? They had two legitimate goals wrongfully called back.

As far as that German team goes...without Kahn, they would have been toast. I feel that Paraguay, the USA (still bitter about that Frings handball that wasn't called), and South Korea played better vs. Germany in the knockout stages, but when Kahn puts up a performance so phenomenal that he becomes the first (and so far, only) goalkeeper to win the Golden Ball in World Cup history, that says a lot.

Zidane was injured, and he was a big part of that French team. He only played in the last match against Denmark, I believe.

I seem to remember not only Spain had two goals called back, but also South Korea scored an illegal one.

After the 1998 WC, German football was a mess. The 1998 team which had won the Euro in 1996 was old and when most of those players retired from international football there weren't any good players to replace them. The German Euro 2000 squad was ludicrous, I mean they called Matthäus to play despite him being 39 years old, that showed they had no players at all. The only good players Germany had at the time were Kahn, Effenberg, Ballack and Deisler. Only Kahn and Effenberg were top tier. Ballack wasn't too far off, but he wasn't good enough to push that team beyond its limitations. Deisler was a sick person who succumbed to depression and couldn't realize his potential. And Effenberg had long decided not to play for Germany after disagreements between him and the DFB due to his poor behavior on the pitch, and also wasn't young either. The rest were only average players who'd never be fielded in international tournaments if the country had really good players to choose from.