False ideas on what's good in FE that we used to have

Espinosa

Just thought a topic where we try to recall all the outdated concepts regarding how to play FE that had proved themselves to be false over time. This thread is abour the advice and other similar "wisdom" that was commonplace in the community(-ies) years back but is now commonly challenged or even completely debunked.

Let's try to exclude things like "I thought Marcus was bad" and introduce some more interesting ideas. Some of the ideas listed could be up for discussion in terms of whether they're really wrong, so this could develop into something good.

- Supports are important in the GBA games, and having the "wrong" support affinity is a serious detriment to a character's worth that we should bring up.

- To show how "good" the mediocre units are at certain point in the game, pick an inflated predicted level, slap all the available stat boosters on that character and show how they ORKO / get 8HKO'd / otherwise overkill said unit in ways that are completely unneccessary to a map's completion or progression, e.g. Bob is 10HKO'd by some reinforcements we don't need to face at all etc.

- In games with multiple optional paths for unit, choose one based on growths rather than weapon rank and immediate application, e.g. turn Caeda into a Mage!

- Dividing prepromotes with highest availability into Jeigans and Oifeys completely missing said characters' peculiar features and performance at different points of the game.

- Sandbagging the value of growths (i.e. averages in reliable efficiency runs) and assuming we are in a rush to promote everything the moment we reach 10/0 and have the right promotion item. This seems to have developed as a counterculture to the Est-worshipping crowd, and I'm kinda glad we grew out of this extremity (which is what it is really).

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE7:

Guy is da best Because killing edge.

Light Magic is amazing.

Mounted Healer = Best Healer because Mounted

FE8:

ROSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ewan and Amelia because extra 9 levels of tier0 mean more shiny number potential.

Matthew top tier because thief utility

Isn't the actual reason he's top tier in Ranked because he single-handedly trivialises Funds? I've never seen him close to top on any unranked list.

FE8:

ROSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ewan and Amelia because extra 9 levels of tier0 mean more shiny number potential.

From what I've heard about FE8, the enemy stats blow even on hard mode. Thus, surely even Amelia and Ewan should be able to kick major arse when trained properly, right?

NM, the thing is though that Amelia/Ewan require so much effort to get where Seth/Saleh are at base, and both Seth/Saleh can wreck the game on their own just fine.

From what I've heard about FE8, the enemy stats blow even on hard mode. Thus, surely even Amelia and Ewan should be able to kick major arse when trained properly, right?

Nino is able to kick major ass when trained properly

That doesn't make her good, and she's actually easier to train than all the recruits, expect maybe Ross, since her stats don't suck that much and she has good growths. The recruits' bases are beyond terrible. They make Nino look like Seth.

Edited by Nobody

Archers, Mercs, Mages, and Armour knights are all top tier units. Cavvys, Pegs, Wyverns Nomads, Fighters, and Theives are bottom tier because they don't have high caps/potential to reach caps.

NM, the thing is though that Amelia/Ewan require so much effort to get where Seth/Saleh are at base, and both Seth/Saleh can wreck the game on their own just fine.

Amelia/Ewan also come so late that by the time you've turned them into units who can fight, most of the game's fighting is over (beginning with C16 the game is all about the warpskip, C18 being an exception but one where just about anyone can help with killing the eggs).

Nino's problem is rather that you really don't need a user of anima tomes so late into the game - even Pent is good only insofar as his staff utility (Rescue/Warp, occasionally Physic, even more seldom Barrier) matters, and his passable combat is just a means for him to level up more magic.

Archers, Mercs, Mages, and Armour knights are all top tier units. Cavvys, Pegs, Wyverns Nomads, Fighters, and Theives are bottom tier because they don't have high caps/potential to reach caps.

When did this happen?

GameFAQs mostly, although I did see a topic here about how to achieve the highest rating.

lol the Awakening board on gamefaqs

remember, they supposedly love Owain, yet Tharja got a 5 seed in the contest while Owain didn't make it at all

Edited by shadykid

lol the Awakening board on gamefaqs

remember, they supposedly love Owain, yet Tharja got a 5 seed in the contest while Owain didn't make it at all

lol indeed.

I remember this well.

And let's not forget that she almost blew it against Tiny Tina, which sucks no matter which way you slice it since other Borderlands characters sucked as well.

And let's not forget that she almost blew it against Tiny Tina, which sucks no matter which way you slice it since other Borderlands characters sucked as well.

this isn't the gamefaqs contest discussion thread!!!

(besides, winning a match>>>not making the bracket)

probably doesn't really count as much towards something being "good" but man I really really underestimated how useful terrain could be until I played FE6 HM and now SD H5. I prety much almost forgot about it most of the time in the other games.

I used to always use iron weapons and hoard my steels, silvers and killers. I kind of still do but at least I dont kit units out with iron ALL the time anymore to "save money".

Edited by Irysa

Isn't the actual reason he's top tier in Ranked because he single-handedly trivialises Funds? I've never seen him close to top on any unranked list.

This is 08-09, when even just beating HHM was hard for people

I should add that thief utility wasn't the only reason he was top tier; he was also considered top tier offensive utility because fire affinity GuyxMatthew

Edited by General Banzai