So what exactly do you look for in a "good" character?

katerra

lol when I first read this I thought you meant good units, so I was going to say 'well, bases, class-OH WAIT'.

I like considerably more characters than I dislike, so I guess I'll just mention some types that I can't really stand.

1) Moe.

2) Damsels in distress. Or something similar.

Everything else I'm probably pretty good with haha XD

Edited by mewyeon

Purely from an aesthetic viewpoint I'd have to go with... well that's a big list, so I'll list who I don't like aesthetically:

Sully, Miriel, Kellam, Ricken, Panne and Kjelle

A "good" character to me is someone who's well developed and have a realistic personality (the quirks in this game don't bother me). A character that I can relate with helps too, or having something that reminds me of somebody else (my brother and Stahl are constantly hungry for example). From a game play perspective it has to be a unit that's constantly reliable

Well, if we are talking about PCs here, then I would say that they have before all else to be human.

You know, being relatable. Acting in a plausible manner. Having feelings, dreams, goals. That kind of thing.

Beyond that.It also helps if the have empathy. Being kind, compassionate, brave and reflective are also a plus.

Or of course simply being an interesting character. Or a stock character being put in an interesting position.

I like characters with depth and good presentation. Cookie-cutter personalities are a no-go.

Simple personalities/Character tropes that I tend to enjoy (if not done ad nauseum like in this game; they need depth):

-Wise, seasoned soldier (usually older)

-Hothead

-~~Mysterious~~

-Not a whiner

-Passionate

-Funny

I like characters who I can relate to and kind of want to be like.

Also Raven kind of looks like me.

Oh, wait is this about Awakening? My bad. I like Virion because he's funny, Gaius, because he looks like me and he awesome in general, and Stahl, because you can't dislike Stahl.

...I dislike Stahl...

Me too..

He's honestly not that great. I don't understand why people think he is.

Because he is so damn nice that not liking him just feels wrong to me.

I actually don't understand what makes me like certain characters, or why I am drawn to certain characters more so than others despite having very similar traits. I think a big part of it depends on the source material that the characters are from, though.

I don't feel like thinking up of specific examples at the moment, but let's say that there is character X and character Y, who are a lot alike but from different games/shows/books. X is from book A and my favorite character in that book, whereas Y is from TV show B and is merely okay in my books. Why is this so? Part of what makes me like a character and not like a character is dependent on the world that the book or the game or the show takes place in, and how the character acts and interacts with the other characters around them. Because while there are certain characteristics I like more, it doesn't always make sense and line up. Such as how Tormod and Rath (who couldn't be more opposite in personality) are my two favorite FE characters, and why I like Neku and Beat from TWEWY so much despite not liking characters like them usually.

Badassery in all its forms. Not necessarily Basillio and Walhart having a muscle contest, but when, in a world filled with people that can all rack up hundreds of kills each, a particular action makes them stand out. This can be either be RNG blessings or a part of their character. Did Sumia just punch Chrom in the face? Did Lissa just Dual Guard 4 times in a row? YES.

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT modifiers.

Pffffft. Mods are so...April.

Galeforce. Class selection. Galeforce.

Most importantly, though...hair color.

Seriously though, I like all sorts of characters, especially the funny ones, the intelligent ones, and/or the badass ones. Meeting multiple of these criteria is a bonus, of course. Oh, and the interesting ones, especially if their interactions with other characters are interesting as well.

And especially-especially interesting antagonists/villains.

I would list more examples from more games, but that'd take forever.

Pffffft. Mods are so...April.

Galeforce. Class selection. Galeforce.

Most importantly, though...hair color.

Seriously though, I like all sorts of characters, especially the funny ones, the intelligent ones, and/or the badass ones. Meeting multiple of these criteria is a bonus, of course. Oh, and the interesting ones, especially if their interactions with other characters are interesting as well.

And especially-especially interesting antagonists/villains.

I would list more examples from more games, but that'd take forever.

Hair colors matter when it comes to children.

They should have their mommy's hair color.

Hair colors matter when it comes to children.

They should have their mommy's hair color.

In many cases, yes. Inigo wants Chrom's blue hair, though, and Kjelle would look kinda weird with Sully hair. Actually Gerome would probably look odd as well.

Edited by Euklyd

Me too..

He's honestly not that great. I don't understand why people think he is.

Stahl is the video game embodiment of an onion. He reminds me of my favorite onion related character (Davos Seaworth) for some strange reason. Therefore Stahl = Onion and that also = me liking him.

/Weird Florina Logic