Lesser known/liked songs by popular bands that you like

Espinosa

I've been thinking for a while how some of my favourite tracks from more popular artists do not quite fit the intended promotion or general reception among listeners, so I thought I'd start a thread to see if this feeling is mirrored by anyone else.

I noticed a lot of people here dig granda rock and so do I, so I'll start with some of that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4GVm9adaU

This one was never released as a single and is not sung by Ian Gillan who's associated with the band a lot more than Coverdale (personally I'm a sucker for Whitesnake's stuff which would give me negative coolness points in a lot of people's books, but by now I've got used to my tastes going in all sorts of faggoty directions so I've learnt to stop caring). It's quite widely known and liked though.

Another really depressing song; this one's not well-known at all considering it's not part of any original album but I heard it on some compilation as a kid a long time ago and was moved. Apparently Ritchie hates this song and refuses to perform it; well, it is pretty miserable and being in a hard-rocking band should be fun and stuff. It's not as good as Soldier of Fortune, though.

I'll add some more when I think about it again.

^^Great A7x song; only one I enjoy on Waking the Fallen due to my inability to get into metalcore.

Well, I like just about everything by Black Sabbath from 1970-1983+2013 so look through their discography and take your pick. Most notably are "Planet Caravan," "Into the Void," "Lord of This World," and "Thrill of it All."

From Iron Maiden, I really enjoy their songs based on exploration, "The Final Frontier," "Ghost of the Navigator," and so forth. Those don't seem to be well-known.

Fucking Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow has a song that should be as popular as Smoke on the Water: "Man on the Silver Mountain." Whoo!

Moving away from heavy metal because I could go on all day:

--Fun.'s "The Gambler," "Why Am I the One," and "Carry On" are vocal masterpieces. I really respect Nate Ruess as both a lyricist and a singer. Very talented.

--Imagine Dragons: everything they've written is pretty decent, except "America." Holy goddamn-shit-on-a-stick, that might possibly be my least favorite song in the world. This band isn't worth much more than "I just wanna have fun and listen to Am G D C right now." Still enjoyable. Also, the singer is pretty talented.

--Mumford and Sons: loljk "Little Lion Man," and "The Cave" are pretty much their best songs. Almost everything else is decent.

--"Cosmonaut" by Wolfmother. Sweet, sweet hard rock found in the 2000s? NICE. Also, "By The Sword" by Slash with Andrew Stockdale (of Wolfmother) as the singer and writer of the song. So goshdern fantastic.

You specified "well-known" bands, so here are some A+ not-so-well-known bands: The Sword and Freedom Hawk. Heavy metal in its purest form. \m/

but by now I've got used to my tastes going in all sorts of faggoty directions so I've learnt to stop caring

Agreed. If a song sounds good to my ears, I can't help it. Simple & Clean is too good goddammit.

Edited by Phoenix Wright