Potential issues/ ideas for an awakening (direct sequel)

Legendkill3r07

Pretty much this. Why would they risk giving another "sequel" to a game that performed poorly (especially on a series that recieved an ultimatum from Nintendo not long ago) when they have supposedly the best selling tittle in the series? Sure they might not give it a sequel per-se, but a midquel/prequel is more likely.

Not sure how you could do a midquel. The 2 year timeskip is implied to be completely peaceful and the Bad Future was already covered by DLC.

I'm all for a prequel. I'd like to know what happened with the exalt siblings' father, and why he goes on a crusade against Plegia in the first place. It could also reveal more about their mother, who isn't even mentioned in Awakening, except that she dies/disappears way before the events of the game.

Not sure how you could do a midquel. The 2 year timeskip is implied to be completely peaceful and the Bad Future was already covered by DLC.

You can expand on the Bad Future thing given that it's implied that what happens on Future Past is completely different from what happens on the future game Lucina comes from (the Awakening isn't possible for starters and Grima is impossible to beat there, also there is no interference from the past on that timeline so the Endgame can't be them beating Grima, it has to be them travelling to the past).

Edited by Jackos

You can expand on the Bad Future thing given that it's implied that what happens on Future Past is completely different from what happens on the future game Lucina comes from (the Awakening isn't possible for starters and Grima is impossible to beat there, also there is no interference from the past on that timeline so the Endgame can't be them beating Grima, it has to be them travelling to the past).

Ah right, forgot about that. I'd still prefer a prequel though, since we already know most of the story of the original Bad Future. Most importantly, we know it was a hopeless situation and that it ultimately ends with the kids travelling back in time. It can bring a lot more detail to the story, but it won't be as exciting if we already know the ending.

^Technially we all know what happens with Chrom's father too, he wages on a war against Plegia that ends up being so costly to both countries that he earns the hatred of both (and we know that it ends up with him dying), it's not like a prequel would be a guaranteed completely original and unheard of story like Blazing Sword was.

Either way, whatever game they make after the SMT crossover is likely to have something to do with Awakening just so that IS can feel safe about making some changes in the gameplay (namely making a lot of stuff less hilariously broken in favor to the player and actually playtesting Lunatic+) and have an excuse to use the same engine.

Edited by Jackos

I'd rather see a sequel, but a prequel wouldn't be bad.

I think IS can come up with a canon including character pairings that don't divide the fan base. How many different timelines/universes have we seen so far? IS can choose certain pairings, yet still claim the the other options were all canon, just in a different timeline.

If they go with Chrom's Father's War, if they make the playables fight for Plegia, they've done and made a game where I'm picking classic, and skeleton crewing just so I can get everyone killed.

[sorry, but I don't like the idea of fighting for a theocrazy. I'm more sympathetic to Chrom's father than to the Plegians he's genociding.]

^Technially we all know what happens with Chrom's father too, he wages on a war against Plegia that ends up being so costly to both countries that he earns the hatred of both (and we know that it ends up with him dying), it's not like a prequel would be a guaranteed completely original and unheard of story like Blazing Sword was.

There's more potential for storytelling though, as what you just stated is iirc everything we know about Chrom's father. Why the genocide? Who killed Chrom's dad? What was Gangrel like ? Was he even king 15 years ago? The aforementioned missing Queen?

I'm almost tempted to write a fanfic on this. There are a lot of questions that need answering.

If they go with Chrom's Father's War, if they make the playables fight for Plegia, they've done and made a game where I'm picking classic, and skeleton crewing just so I can get everyone killed.

[sorry, but I don't like the idea of fighting for a theocrazy. I'm more sympathetic to Chrom's father than to the Plegians he's genociding.]

Really? From what little we got in Awakening, Chrom's father is a massive bastard and apart from the Grimleal (and I suppose the Dark Mages) most Plegians aren't that bad.

Edited by Aurath8

There's more potential for storytelling though, as what you just stated is iirc everything we know about Chrom's father. Why the genocide? Who killed Chrom's dad? What was Gangrel like ? Was he even king 15 years ago? The aforementioned missing Queen?

The genocide was probably to get rid of the Grimleal and any and all possible candidates of becoming the vessel for Grima, maybe he actually had a basic idea about that and tried to pull a FE4 Loptyr descendants policy 2.0 taken to the absolute extreme on that regard.

Didn't technically Plegia only became completely batshit crazy about worshipping Grima on rough times like, surprise surprise, a genocide from a foreign nation?