Why is there no love for Swordmaster?

I don't really see the strength cap as all that big a deal when it's only 2 points higher...

Regardless of if you think its a big deal, it still is an advantage for Assassins. The extra Skill is a disadvantage too. A free extra 4% Luna is pretty sweet.

Swordmasters have the extra defense and durability, which is an advantage for them.

Now consider the following:

How often do your units get hit in a post-game file, excluding Apotheosis?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assassins get bows, making them the ultimate support unit. On top of that they can get around both Pavise and Aegis+. The sword lock hurts with a only a watered-down light brand as a ranged attack.

From my experience, Swordmasters and Berserkers with Killer Weapons broke the game in FE7 and FE8.

Assassins get bows, making them the ultimate support unit. On top of that they can get around both Pavise and Aegis+. The sword lock hurts with a only a watered-down light brand as a ranged attack.

From my experience, Swordmasters and Berserkers with Killer Weapons broke the game in FE7 and FE8.

I'm not sure what you're mentioning the Light Brand for, considering this game doesn't have it...

Edited by Levant Fortner

So, I'm going to narrow down the reasons why SMasters are kind of mediocre, in everyones opinion (kinda):

-Assassins are stronger, and have mroe chance for crits.

-Being locked into swords.

-Great for gathering skills, but lose utility once they start capping stats.

-The loss of the added chance of crit thanks to crit´+30 make them inferior to assassins.

That0s basically it?

"-The loss of the added chance of crit thanks to crit´+30 make them inferior to assassins."

I gonna add that under maximization context, this addition won't help THAT much when they are a main unit

Under main game? Javelin Murders everything

Edited by JSND

Uhh, wasn't Radiant Dawn fairly kind to them? Other than that, I doubt it'll happen any time soon, if at all...

RD was kind to Mia. Not to Swordmasters. Still, RD also didn't actively try to hurt them and it shows in that the swordmasters are solid and good combat units. What's important is the 'why' though. I don't think anyone will argue that Swordmasters are stat-brutes, but their potency comes in their unique way to both handle skills and criticals. They may not be the most mobile or the best defenders, but they can unleash a brutal assault if they get in close. And that's how it *should* be. Swordmasters require proper skills to be good, but can be outright destructive if used right.

RD Swordmasters:

Mia is fine

Edward is nice in drafts, not that great otherwise in efficiency (but quite great in casual playthroughs without grinding like an idiot)

Zihark is decent

Stefan is a serviceable character if you need someone in a pinch for the Tower, dunno why though with royals+your best units

Lucia has her one chapter of glory

.....yeah decent

(lol non-FE6 GBA Swordmasters)

IIRC, Guy is actually Upper Mid tier in FE7 HHM. That's pretty decent. Same case as Joshua. I heard SMs in FE12 were great...but yeah, Japan-only. FE13 has Lon'qu, which usually prefers going Wyvern.

30 Speed Cap, highest speed growth, Swords being rather versatile, high speed base(13, the next highest is Hero, which is a terrible class overall, and then Sniper which is amazing), 10 Dodge bonus(does not help much but its there) + WKS so that they did not get screwed out of action in the training chapters

Bad how?

I don't think there is any bad class in FE12 beside like Fighter and Warrior(who still have bows), Hero(more because its rather useless later on) and Dark Mage(Sage master race)

Especially considering how good Bow lock are in FE12

Edited by JSND

RD Swordmasters:

Mia is fine

Edward is nice in drafts, not that great otherwise in efficiency (but quite great in casual playthroughs without grinding like an idiot)

Zihark is decent

Stefan is a serviceable character if you need someone in a pinch for the Tower, dunno why though with royals+your best units

Lucia has her one chapter of glory

.....yeah decent

(lol non-FE6 GBA Swordmasters)

SM's are the only class who can double Ashera's mantle without any buffs. That's pretty nifty. FE10 also has those 1-2 non magic swords too which help!

Edited by Irysa

30 Speed Cap, highest speed growth, Swords being rather versatile, high speed base(13, the next highest is Hero, which is a terrible class overall, and then Sniper which is amazing), 10 Dodge bonus(does not help much but its there) + WKS so that they did not get screwed out of action in the training chapters

Bad how?

I don't think there is any bad class in FE12 beside like Fighter and Warrior(who still have bows), Hero(more because its rather useless later on) and Dark Mage(Sage master race)

Especially considering how good Bow lock are in FE12

Because it's a DS game where dodging means jack shit in the grand scheme of things?

Because it's a DS game where dodging means jack shit in the grand scheme of things?

Does not stop them from doubling everything(alongside Sniper which is arguably the best out of any modern FE), while others does not

Not to mention the whole "dodging is only useful when you need to pull off unrealistic plays" stuff, something that FE12 almost completely lacks at

Edited by JSND

So, I'm going to narrow down the reasons why SMasters are kind of mediocre, in everyones opinion (kinda):

-Assassins are stronger, and have mroe chance for crits.

-Being locked into swords.

-Great for gathering skills, but lose utility once they start capping stats.

-The loss of the added chance of crit thanks to crit+30 make them inferior to assassins.

That's basically it?

The Crit. advantage Assassins may have is very very marginal. It doesn't even make a difference. +2 Str...somewhat noticeable. The lack of 30% Crit. isn't what makes them inferior to Assassins...it's the lack of it overall that makes them somewhat moot compared to their other versions. For skills, Astra isn't very big (Skill/2% and Dmg/2) but Swordfaire is cool.

And assassins are cooler looking IMO

Female Assassins dress slutty.

SM's are the only class who can double Ashera's mantle without any buffs. That's pretty nifty. FE10 also has those 1-2 non magic swords too which help!

That's very small, considering those are enemies at the very end of the game...while other units can be doubling for 90% of the game and not at Endgame (see Haar).

Female Assassins dress slutty.

k I see we're already heading towards slut shaming

well you see, dodging being harder in the DS games actually helps Swordmasters because they're one of the few classes that can semireliably dodge (unlike in GBA games, where dodging is a joke)

also player phase focus+weapon rank, which as JSND pointed out also helps Snipers

This is going places I nver tought it could haha, but I agree, female assassins are sluty. In any case, I agree with people that say RD SMaster were really good, they're my favorite class fom that game, followed by Warriors, or rather, Reavers. I think the reason why SMasters are so underwhelming in Awakening, stat wise at least that is, is because the stat caps of promted classes in AWKNNG are determined by multiplying the base classes stat caps, -10. Chek it out for yourselves. In any case, this means that while the 2 strenght difference between myrmidon and mercenary are minimal, the 4 difference between smasters and heroes is very noticeable, specially since heroes are better in ever other stat, except speed, with got nerfed for SMasters this game.

k I see we're already heading towards slut shaming

well you see, dodging being harder in the DS games actually helps Swordmasters because they're one of the few classes that can semireliably dodge (unlike in GBA games, where dodging is a joke)

also player phase focus+weapon rank, which as JSND pointed out also helps Snipers

>relying on dodging in a game where evade isn't high enough to make it worthwhile

hahahahahaha no

I'd say Snipers beat out Swordmasters in the DS games, no questions asked.

Edited by Levant Fortner

> Implying Sniper is terrible in DSFE

Also who the fuck usess swordmaster while relying on dodging, that's retarded

not relying on dodging, the occasional dodge helps though (I think PKL compiled some enemy hit rates on H2, and that was with Snipers not Swordmasters!)