Can anyone figure out the AI's behaviour here?

Irysa

I can go one up and say that even if Sue is rescuing somebody and has the brave bow equipped, leaving her with 2 AS (more than enough to get doubled) and 17 avoid, the Merc will still not attack her on those tiles <_<

Also for the healing thing, I've never observed the enemy AI to actually move away to get healed in FE6 before when there are non retaliating targets in range. Basically all GBA enemies will just kamikaze all day.

Only watched the first 3 instances, but maybe the Mercenary feels threatened once a certain number of units enter range (and Sue pushes him over the edge)?

FE8 had the Demon King only using Nightmare if enough units were in range.

But he attacks her on ANY other tile. That can't be it.

There are also not four dedicated ranged attackers near the fort, either (sniper, mages, nomad). The AI may take these unit types into some kind of consideration during its interesting movement choice. It may be conditional, as well, as the unit's initial positions, and not their potential ones (so that even if those ranged units may still attack the merc should the nomad move to the west, his AI wouldn't react as it does if it moves near the ranged units as they stand still).

There may be conditionals that a player might not consider practical, but are conditionals nonetheless.

That still doesn't make sense because I can rescue any of the said units you're proposing and he still will not attack her on those two tiles. Also the tile directly southeast of the fort has the same amount of "potential" attackers yet still causes him to attack Sue. Only 2 units can hit him without moving WRT the fort + the tile to the east. Note that I also though it may be because a unit can get on the fort and attack him, but even that fails because the tile to the north of the fort yields an attack. :\

I've seen this behavior before in my hack. Pretty sure it's because the mercenary has an AI that causes him to find a place to heal in, but is detecting that Sue is blocking the fort (in the case of the other nonfort tile, its because his move gets cut by the forest and the AI detects this and is probably moving him to seek somewhere else where he can heal) so he moves differently, seeking where to heal. As for why he attacks if the fort isn't blocked...I'll just say that GBA AI is a huge mystery and very inconsistent.

I've seen this behavior before in my hack. Pretty sure it's because the mercenary has an AI that causes him to find a place to heal in, but is detecting that Sue is blocking the fort (in the case of the other nonfort tile, its because his move gets cut by the forest and the AI detects this and is probably moving him to seek somewhere else where he can heal) so he moves differently, seeking where to heal. As for why he attacks if the fort isn't blocked...I'll just say that GBA AI is a huge mystery and very inconsistent.

He can't actually reach the fort tile to stand on so the first one's out.

You should LP your FE6 run with videos instead of the screen capping. You're pretty entertaining, bro, and I enjoyed watching the video.

The mercenary's behavior was rather odd.

I take like...a hour to clear a map with combined checking enemy stats and movement and all hitrates for applicable people to use and stuff (i'm bad), not even counting resets. I tried to make videos initially but if you want something that doesnt take forever, that requires me to rehearse the execution of the whole thing, or start planning out moves beyond the first couple of turns (since thats typically what I actually base my strategy around, get a well executed first couple of turns out and then roll from there).

idk. It just doesnt seem worth it.

Edited by Irysa

FE6 AI is not as predictable as DS FE AI. there's definitely weighting of various factors and i wouldn't be surprised if your rationalization for why the merc attacks allen instead of sue were somewhat off too.

but the fort definitely has something do with the merc behavior.

FE6 AI is not as predictable as DS FE AI. there's definitely weighting of various factors and i wouldn't be surprised if your rationalization for why the merc attacks allen instead of sue were somewhat off too.

but the fort definitely has something do with the merc behavior.

You mean 12 AI, right? Because 11 is weird and inconsistent as fuck too. One of the many reasons I love playing 12 is the consistency of everything. I can expect the AI to behave a certain way. :o

i think FE11 AI is far more consistent than FE6 AI. i had to rely on manipulating it rather heavily in 6-turning chapter 2.

I'll take your word for it. I haven't done an FE11 H5 serious LTC run yet.