Dark Souls RP - Interest Check

Tryhard

I'm considering trying to make a RP set in Lordran or in a similar world like Dark Souls/Demon's Souls.

It would be stat-based and I am trying to come up with a combat system that is the closest Dark Souls could be in a turn-based style. I wanted to know how many people would be interested before I attempted this, though. I've already got some ideas for a combat system but it needs a lot more work.

It might be a while before I get all the stuff needed for this, but I wanted to check if it was wanted first (no guarantees). And no, it wouldn't be a "YOU DIED" simulator, though there would always be a danger of "dying", as per Souls law.

Any ideas would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Edited by Tryhard

Well, I do like Dark Souls. And the prospect certainly seems rather interesting, however, I can't say I'd be one of the first to hop on board simply because I have enough RP's on my plate as is. Take that how you will~

If Lordran: probably not, because I haven't played Dark Souls yet, so I wouldn't be as interested.

If Boletaria: hell to the y.e.s.

If original but similar: sure, if it's presented in the same minimalistic manner as the games.

If Lordran: probably not, because I haven't played Dark Souls yet, so I wouldn't be as interested.

If Boletaria: hell to the y.e.s.

If original but similar: sure, if it's presented in the same minimalistic manner as the games.

Suggest trying Dark Souls if you can. While I do prefer the way Boletaria is presented more than Lordran, Dark Souls is much more polished than Demon's. Well, that may just be because I play Dark Souls first before Demon's, but yeah. They're both great.

Well, anyway. If I was going to do this, it would probably be a different place with very similar themes. But doesn't look like there's enough interest for me to warrant to go ahead with this, which is fine, saves me figuring everything out just to watch it die out. SF probably not the best place for it, anyway. Thanks, anyway.

Perhaps. I'll attempt to explain what I've got already to see if it would help.

Attributes would include: Vitality, Endurance, Agility, Strength, Dexterity, Attunement, Intelligence, Faith & Precision.

Vitality is the stat that determines HP.

Endurance would determine max equip load and stamina.

Agility would determine evasion and possibly initiative. (Hey look, a Dark Souls II stat)

Strength would increase damage with strength-scaling weapons and increase blocking chance.

Dexterity would increase damage with dexterity-scaling weapons and increase parry chance.

Attunement determines how many spells could be memorised. (I believe this was Intelligence in Demon's Souls)

Intelligence determines damage with fire and sorceries.

Faith determines damage with holy magic (miracles) and dark magic.

Precision determines hit rate. (I was going to considering combining this with dexterity, but strength characters generally don't want to invest in dexterity if they are using strength weapons, so I felt it may be better as a new stat)

Classes would be pre-determined with stats. I may allow the choosing of a starting weapon/etc.

If you are above 25% equip load, you will receive a penalty to evasion. If above 50%, you will receive a heavy penalty to evasion.

Armour would give static defense boosts to physical, magic, fire, etc, but you could only wear the set in its entirety, or nothing.

Hit rate would be the weapons (or spells) hit rate + precision.

To hit an enemy it would be the above hit rate + 1d20 - enemy's evade or block (whichever is higher), and if that result is >= 0, it would result in a hit.

Player characters would probably evade/block automatically, depending on what they had that was higher.

I was thinking backstab could be based on agility, either a successful roll check and a successful hit check. If the roll was failed, that would result in an enemy getting a free hit on you.

Parrying would be based on dexterity and you would have to declare when you wanted to do it instead of attacking.

Weapons would have specific weights, damages, scalings for strength and dexterity, and requirements. Probably critical multipliers for backstabs/ripostes as well.

Of course stamina was a big part of the Souls combat as well, but it seems as though I would have to specify specific attacks and the stamina they would drain, as well as blocking, or just leave it out entirely which I would feel makes endurance not so useful. Perhaps endurance could also include hit rate and drop the stamina mechanic and just skip having precision aswell?

Faster weapons would also need some way to get multiple attacks, where either there could be a stat that allows doubling like FE, or the weapon itself acts as a brave weapon and automatically doubles. Because a Zweihander is not the speed of a dagger. A weapon like the dagger would probably hit three times compared to the zwei.

I have no idea how poise could work (or if it should even be there).

And as I said before, it would most likely be in a new world taking elements from Demon's/Dark Souls.

Tell me what you think. Makes you appreciate the deep combat system the Souls games has, indeed.

Edited by Tryhard