whaaaaa

you know what this thread needs? MORE technicolor

it'll be cool when /u/kimuni wakes up and is all "I MISSED AN AVATAR FAD, NOOO"

it'll be cool when /u/kimuni wakes up and is all "I MISSED AN AVATAR FAD, NOOO"

I quit this thread forever

and you can quote me on that

oh

all these weird avatars

Because artistic expression isn't just about pure enjoyment. Imagine a painter. A painter aims to elicit specific emotions and impressions from their audience. Not only do they want others to appreciate their work, but they want others to appreciate their intention and expression. Imagine a work that is supposed to be about the evils of consumerism and a bunch of young people like it because they think it looks cool or has nice colors. The artist isn't going to connect with those kids. They are going to connect with those who understand what the artist wanted and appreciate it for the artist's intention.

You would give the option of choice for all kinds of reasons. For one, people feel better when they think they came to a conclusion on their own. A lot of the time people are more receptive to an idea if they feel that they chose it from a selection of other options. Giving people options is a powerful manipulative tactic. One of my favourite reasons for giving options is to demonstrate the fact that choice is an illusion and send that message in itself. Consider the inclusion of luck and RNG in Fire Emblem. In reality there is no luck involved, but you still get upset because you personally don't know how to predict the outcome. In that case, why include RNG at all? Why not make it pure logic and rules like Chess? Because despite luck being an illusion, people enjoy it.

The question is, does adding the option help you with your artistic expression, or does it enable people to take their own meaning that you do not empathize with? If it's the latter, then adding the choice would be detrimental to your goals.

That is assuming the goal is artistic expression. If it's making money, then pure fanservice is the way to go. To hell with your inspiration and connection to fans. Hello, Awakening.

Personally, there are some games where I have a problem with the linear flow, but I generally like the story anyway if it's good. There are a lot of flaws with Awakening, but I wouldn't say this is one of them. Awakening's flaws in story were with the actual content (or lack of expansion on content), not the inability to affect outcomes.

heart