• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

more like

helping the other person write their sentences in a more correct way so they don't make a fool of themselves when they have to write something more formal and important

question marks

i guese glak cudnt undrstnd dat.

I can't read this

It's extremely annoying

Most of the time it just pass off as you showing how ~superior~ you are for apparently knowing more grammar

Not really.

Tbh it's pretty amusing imo, because it comes off as joking 90%of the time.

Besides I don't see them correct you very much. Relax, Tonton.

I can't read thisNot really.

Tbh it's pretty amusing imo, because it comes off as joking 90%of the time.

Besides I don't see them correct you very much. Relax, Tonton.

i don't care if they are correcting me or not

it's about this shitty arrogance where people just go and shove into your face your mistakes instead of actually making any effort to improve

and that the only point of any language is ultimately communication, so if the message got through with no issues, there's no actual error

and that the only point of any language is ultimately communication, so if the message got through with no issues, there's no actual error

You know... I actually said this before, and just did a few minutes ago.

like really why should i fucking care about capitalizing the "i" in a chat thread in a spam board in serenes forest dot net toy site

You know... I actually said this before, and just did a few minutes ago.

I missed your post Edited by Hezul

i don't care if they are correcting me or not

it's about this shitty arrogance where people just go and shove into your face your mistakes instead of actually making any effort to improve

Yes, but seeing little mistakes does annoy some people. Especially if they are constant to the point of seemingly not caring.

They're not trying to be arrogant. They are trying to help someone because those mistakes generally bother them.

Though the point of language is to communicate, there is no harm in doing it properly. Especially since written word is not like casual speech. It is very annoying, even to me, when people write would of because it sounds like would've. Improper grammar is much more noticeable when writing.

I'm not trying to get on your case or anything, but I genuinely don't think it is a problem or that there is any harm to it.

Edited by Glaceon Prince

I'd say someone like me is prescriptive when it comes to language, whereas someone like Tonton is descriptive.

Prescriptive is: "The rule is this, therefore people must say/write it like this."

Descriptive is: "People say/write it like this, so the rule must be this."

In a grander perspective, I think both prescriptive and descriptive forces are needed to keep language evolving properly. Without prescriptive forces language would become an unruly mess. Without descriptive forces language would become artificial and unnatural.