Should I get this game?

Roy: Marquess of Pherae

Gen 6. I've played Blue, Emerald, Pearl, Soul Silver, and White in my day.

I loved Blue and Soul Silver, but didn't enjoy Emerald, Pearl, or White that much.

Is there anything redeeming about the new game, or is it a waste of my time to buy it?

Imo, Platinum and Black 2/White 2 are better than Diamond/Pearl and Black/White. And Emerald does suck, so you did kinda get the worse end of the series. X and Y are fantastic, imo, definitely worth playing if you like Pokemon.

As someone who's played a game from every generation, I can say that I gained at least the same amount of satisfaction and fun playing Gen 6, if not more. About the only thing I didn't like about it was its relative lack of postgame, but the ease in training pokemon and the awesome online connectivity options made up for it. I'm especially invested in it because this is the first time I've had more than one or two people at most to play with; the community here is a nice one to be a part of for trading, battles, and friend safaris. And even if you don't need or care about that, its nice to receive helpful O-powers from people every now and then.

So yeah, I definitely think it's worth it, but it's your call.

Imo, Platinum and Black 2/White 2 are better than Diamond/Pearl and Black/White. And Emerald does suck, so you did kinda get the worse end of the series. X and Y are fantastic, imo, definitely worth playing if you like Pokemon.

Hey, don't just say Emerald sucks like that. There are many, many people who love it (Myself possibly included).

But anyway, X and Y are amazing. Although this is coming from someone who considers Black/White the best in the series, so I don't know really what to say. You'll definitely enjoy the main game, it's better than the rest of the non Black/White games in my opinion. And the postgame makes everything about making your pokemon really strong a lot easier. It's worth it, so yes, you should get it.

I've never really gotten too in depth with pokemon. How difficult is ev and iv (I think that's what its called) training?

Not too difficult once you get the hang of it and know what you're doing. If it counts for anything, I barely knew what an EV and IV were before this gen and now I know so much more in the span of playing one game; not saying that it doesn't take a little effort, but its never been easier than now to do IV breeding and EV training.

Not too difficult once you get the hang of it and know what you're doing. If it counts for anything, I barely knew what an EV and IV were before this gen and now I know so much more in the span of playing one game; not saying that it doesn't take a little effort, but its never been easier than now to do IV breeding and EV training.

Will the game show me how?

And does this game have postgame value?

Edited by Roy: Marquess of Pherae

I've never really gotten too in depth with pokemon. How difficult is ev and iv (I think that's what its called) training?

Like SL said, IV training ans EV training has never been easier. Super training gives you a way to easily EV train your pokemon and horde battles give you big source evs that can be shared to a whole team thanks to the exp. share. As far as IV training go, they really made it easier this gen with the new destiny knot mechanic, though it can still take some time and luck.

Will the game show me how?

And does this game have postgame value?

The game explain to you briefly how Super training works, but I don't think there is any big in-game tutorial on EV training and IV breeding. But there is tons of tutorial out there and I'm pretty sure you can ask to people in the pokemon subforum for help if you need it.

As for the post game, there is some things to do(Looker side-quest, Battle Maison), but the bulk come from competitive battling.

Postgame value? not really no, unless you get into the competitive scene. As for showing how EVs and IVs work, that's a no. The game just makes it easier to capitalize on them but you still have to go out of your way to learn how they work.

I liked it. I've played all the games except for R/B/Y and G/S/C, and I felt satisfied.

I can say it if I want to. It's my opinion and I was simply agreeing with the OP that Emerald wasn't enjoyable.

it really isn't that hard to type the letters "imo" or "I think."

it really isn't that hard to type the letters "imo" or "I think."

I thought it was already obvious that I was stating an opinion. Sorry. >_>

Also, I personally recommend X over Y. Better version exclusives, imo, prettier cover art, and Xerneas >>>> Yveltal. IMO. There, happy?

I think that X is better than Y in terms of Mega Stone version exclusives. I don't regret my choice in Y though since I was on Team Yveltal since day one. Plus getting all the X exclusive mega stones has improved my bartering skills to an extent.

Since you did play Soul Silver, I do believe that this game has some big shoes to fill. If you're into competitive battling, this generation has sorta been a Renaissance of Competitive Pokemon.

Well since nobody explain IV's and EV's to our Lord here I'll explain them:

IV's (Individual Value) are stats Pokemon are born with,like bases in Fire Emblem,except these stats are hidden at first,as you level your Pokemon up,you'll find some stats are higher than another person's same Pokemon.IV's determine what your Hidden Power is,IV's also may lower the chances of a Pokemon surviving a hit or your Pokemon getting defeated by one.IV's raise a stat by 0-31 making them play a huge role in having good Pokemon.

EV's are stats that Pokemon can obtain by battling or Super Training. Certain wild Pokemon correspond to how much EV's you get. It requires 4 EV's to increase a stat and 255 EV's max.You only want to have 252 EV's as you'll waste 3 EV's.You have a total of 510 EV's to use. 252 EV's is in increase of 63 in stat therefore making them valuable.These are easier to obtain than IV's,as IV's require chains of breeding,while EV's can be used on any Pokemon.

IV's vs EV's:

IV's are more of a hassle to get as you need to chain breed and pass down good IV's,a better way to describe IV's are like genes.Every offspring inherit a different amount of a gene.Putting this into Pokemon,every bred Pokemon will have a different amount IV's,but let's say you have a Pokemon with perfect IV's but your next offspring won't have it,the Destiny Knot can help pass down 5 IV's perfectly in breeding.

EV's require time,but now in X and Y the introduction of Super Training,EV's are fun and easier to obtain.EV's cannot be passed down,but you can receive the same amount of EV's by just repeating the process on another Pokemon.

If you'd like more info just tell me xD

I'm going to nitpick on what Jiac said. Pokemon's evs max at 252 instead of 255 this generation. And, more specifically the destiny knot picks 5 of the two parents' ivs which inherited by the offspring. The other one is randomly generated.

Also, exclusives. It should be noted that Electrike and Larvitar can be found in Friend Safari.

X:

Pinsir

Pinsirite

Xerneas

Staryu

Charizardite X

Mewtwoite X

Houndour

Poochyena

Aron

Lileep

Anorith