Pondering an FEXNA Remake

Arch

Poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you most like to see remade with FEXNA?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7

defiantly an interesting document, i think a few of these things seem kinda strange considering the original story but the biggest problem is that you would be basically just retelling fe3/12 but with different characters and setting. i realise thats kinda the point but some inevation storywise would be nice.

i vote your work on that desing doc some more then make a game after it :3

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there are definitely similarities with FE3, I'd like to contest that it's just a "retelling." FE3 was Marth's adventure 2.0, this sequel follows the story of a completely new character, after a great catastrophe throws the continent into chaos (whereas FE3 is just "more war because Hardin says so"). Innes mirrors Hardin to an extent, but Innes isn't just loldarkorb making him do evil things; he's being manipulated by larger forces to an extent, but it's his own arrogance primarily at work. Forde/Vanessa are put into an Abel/Est situation for an additional bit of FE3 homeage. Other than that, I'm not quite sure I see this concept as just "FE3 with Magvel characters." Book 2's playable cast is only ~35% crossover from Book 1; ~75% of the original FE3's cast came from FE1.

There was also the idea of a larger timeskip, something in the Avatar -> Legend of Korra range. That might be an idea worth pursuing.

I'm probably going with FE5 at this point?

Edited by Arch

I'd suggest leaving all the oldies (NES/SNES) except FE2 alone. FE4 is lots of fun due to its hilarious ease-of-breaking, and FE5 is characterised by its weird and wonderful map/chapter design. The story is so incredibly mediocre (story? what story?) that if you were to "remake" it it would end up having to be a full remake which would interfere with canon even more...

FE8 Book 2 sounds like a great idea (Innes = Hardin obviously).

As we talked about on Skype, a cross-gen FE7/6 game might be fun but in order to have a coherent and actually interesting story you'd have to rewrite the plot so that it's not just 2 games in 1. Ideas that were brought up: fusing Ninian and Idoun as characters (details to be worked out later), fusing the first and second Valor trips, making Eliwood and co. present at Zephiel's funeral and able to witness at least some of his descent into madness. Now that I think about it it wouldn't be such a bad idea to play with canon and just make FE6 characters into FE7 children (e.g. crack children like Wendy being Serra's daughter lolololol). I could imagine the plot being like this:

• Lyn mode cut and fused into a subplot
  • Civil and political unrest in Lycia, Elbert is running around trying to control things and co-ordinate with Uther
  • Eliwood and Hector help Lyn and meet Ninian through her (Lyn x Hector = forced pairing??)
  • Meanwhile Darin and Desmond plotting together to help Darin take over Lycia because reasons
  • Uther dies, prompts Eli and friends to move against Darin
  • Darin defeated, Desmond not implicated, somehow Eliwood and Zephiel become friends
  • Small amount of times passes in which everyone has kids
  • Desmond tries to kill Zephiel, Eli and co. present at the funeral when Zephiel kills Desmond
  • Zephiel goes mad, co-ordinates with Nergal (who was responsible for the creation of Dark Dragons) to draw Ninian to Valor (using Elbert as bait?)
  • Ninian turns into a dark dragon, kills everyone or something
  • 15 years later FE6 begins

fe7fanficin5minutes

plsno

While there are definitely similarities with FE3, I'd like to contest that it's just a "retelling." FE3 was Marth's adventure 2.0, this sequel follows the story of a completely new character, after a great catastrophe throws the continent into chaos (whereas FE3 is just "more war because Hardin says so"). Innes mirrors Hardin to an extent, but Innes isn't just loldarkorb making him do evil things; he's being manipulated by larger forces to an extent, but it's his own arrogance primarily at work. Forde/Vanessa are put into an Abel/Est situation for an additional bit of FE3 homeage. Other than that, I'm not quite sure I see this concept as just "FE3 with Magvel characters." Book 2's playable cast is only ~35% crossover from Book 1; ~75% of the original FE3's cast came from FE1.

There was also the idea of a larger timeskip, something in the Avatar -> Legend of Korra range. That might be an idea worth pursuing.

I'm probably going with FE5 at this point?

i see your point i guess, if this was to come through though i just feel that trying to escape some of the arc types from fe3 would be beneficial that's all.

though a fe5 remake seems the most plausible at this point, so whatever, I'll just hold my tongue. (I'd still really wanna help if you do go through with this!!)

No more Idenn.

-foams at mouth-

REPORTED

also, her name is Idoun, get it right. D:< Idenn and Idun are failure names.

Edit: No matter what remake you go for Arch, I'll be looking forward to it. I think FE5 or FE2 are the better choice, since because you refused to include Zephiel and Idoun as part of Elibe Night, I've come to despite you.

Edited by Fateborn

-foams at mouth-

REPORTED

also, her name is Idoun, get it right. D:< Idenn and Idun are failure names.

Edit: No matter what remake you go for Arch, I'll be looking forward to it. I think FE5 or FE2 are the better choice, since because you refused to include Zephiel and Idoun as part of Elibe Night, I've come to despite you.

Idenn is how Nintendo of Japan writes her name in romaji, and is both Idun is a pretty accurate reading of the katakana for her name and a Norse mythology reference (which Fire Emblem is oh so fond of), and is itself romanized from Iðunn.

Anyway, derailment over.

FE5 (And Jugdral as a whole) I think houses a more compelling story that diverges from Fire Emblem's normally pretty black and white morality, and presents arguably one of the most relatable lords of the series (and a fallible one at that!). It also has a lot of great map design inherent to it, and would likely progress more quickly than rebuilding Gaiden from scratch.

Thracia also (from replaying a couple of the early chapters in Japanese, and then just reading the dialogue in the English patch) really could use a script cleanup. The original translation leaves out some lines, and is generally written very awkwardly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the planning pretty much worked through, but I won't be starting any intensive work until after Elibian Nights releases, obviously.

Whether that falls before the public release or after ;). But I'm probably not supposed to say anything definitive about that publicly? Oops.

Edited by Arch

hm alright interesting to note. and i know I've said this before but please when you make this please make sure that the art style, especially the people, are consistent.

I'll try my best, of course, but without a single dedicated artist/final editor (and spriting FE5's entire cast is definitely quite a task), it can be difficult to ensure absolute consistency like that.

hm understandable yeah. if you can get a primary artist to at least do touch ups (be better to get some one as a main spriter or something.) but just manage with what ya have I guess.

I rather like the all star art cast the community seems to default to. Maybe it's just because I enjoy identifying people from their different styles. I also think it rather worked for EN because they were different 'tales'.