Help & Tips using Nightmare For First Time

Naglfar94

Hello everyone it has been very long. Anyway After hmm lets see about 2 years since I last tried and failed I am once again trying to use nightmare to hack FE4! but I find myself again stuck on the same thing as the first time that drove me to quit. How in the world do you use it at all? I have it but it make me doubt the thing even does anything other than just to stare at it. Maybe I am for one missing pieces to it and that is why it may need other programs to use it. I have one thing atleast and that is the emulator and game of course. And Lunar IPS to but that may be an optional piece and may not be needed I just have it for patching already made hacks made by others to play them. And yes i have searched the web for tutorials for beginners such as myself but only to not find anything remotely helpful and most guides are aimed at FE6,FE7 and FE8 while great guides yes they don`t help as I am not doing GBA FE. I`ve tried youtube for some visual guides but shockingly there is next to no vids displaying nightmare in action. So the only way really is to seek out someone who has been there and done it already and has hacked an FE game already. I have taken a photo of where I am stuck at I have looked through every file in that folder but they seem to be just text documents and the NMM things just plain won`t open so something is missing that I did not pick up maybe. Anyway thanks in advance I can`t wait to begin using it as I heard it is quite fun using nightmare to mess around with FE!post-8375-0-86767500-1392880192_thumb.png

once you've opened a ROM in Nightmare, you need to open the editing modules you want to use into it (the .nmm files). i recommend starting with the basic character editor module to get a feel for the general flow of the program's use in a fairly clearly labeled environment, but the basic workflow is that for every editable option there's a drop-down box which lists all the possible values it can be set to, like every possible portrait in the game for the portrait selection option. i'd go into more detail but i kinda need to leave very soon so

side note: for FE4, i've never been able to get Nightmare 2 to work with it without it shitting out a bricked ROM; you'll want to use the older Nightmare 1 for it. also you're shit out of luck if you just want to edit a clean Japanese ROM; only FE4 ROMs patched with the fan translation will function with Nightmare (pretty much any version of the translation will do the trick)

Edited by bookofholsety

Ohh thanks so much that was two things I messed up on I had nightmare 2 and all I had was the JP FE4 game I was under the thought that any nightmare version worked it it. I have already deleted nightmare 2 I will find an older version and find a english patched FE4 rom.

once you've opened a ROM in Nightmare, you need to open the editing modules you want to use into it (the .nmm files). i recommend starting with the basic character editor module to get a feel for the general flow of the program's use in a fairly clearly labeled environment, but the basic workflow is that for every editable option there's a drop-down box which lists all the possible values it can be set to, like every possible portrait in the game for the portrait selection option. i'd go into more detail but i kinda need to leave very soon so

side note: for FE4, i've never been able to get Nightmare 2 to work with it without it shitting out a bricked ROM; you'll want to use the older Nightmare 1 for it. also you're shit out of luck if you just want to edit a clean Japanese ROM; only FE4 ROMs patched with the fan translation will function with Nightmare (pretty much any version of the translation will do the trick)

Just out of curiosity but what are you hoping to add or remove or whatever from FE4?

My main goal is quite simple and small but here is what we are looking at

1.Holy Blood

2.Arena Battle music

3.Weapons & items

4.Skills

5.Classes

6.Promotions

That is the basic look on things heh if i can`t get all of the stuff done I will still be happy with just Classes,Holy Blood,Skills,Weapons

Er, this is supposed to be in the Hacking Questions.

It's on the top of the page...

Other than that, good luck with hacking FE4.