What was that giant sphere that summoned the risens?

IceBrand

If your referring to the cut scene near the beginning where "marth" saves Lissa then I think it is the time portal Lucina came from but she was being chased by the risen and they followed her through the portal. At least that's how I see it.

Yes, that orb is Naga's time portal back to the past. Most of the Risen in the current timeline came from the original one, yes. Also, keep in mind that not only did other portals open in different places, but some even opened up in different times, as evidenced by Laurent's C-Support with his father. This means that Risen could be appearing in Ylisse, Plagia, and Valm for much of the foreseeable future. Risen can also be created with dark magic, so there's that too, but as I said, most came from the future.

According to some of the supports (Inigo says something about this, I think), the dead can come back as Risen? Or am I misremembering?

According to some of the supports (Inigo says something about this, I think), the dead can come back as Risen? Or am I misremembering?

I dunno about Inigo's support, but it's hinted at in the Infinite Regalia DLC where the children's (and Tiki's) battle quote implies that the generals are their dead parents from the future. For example, the kids mention that the generals cry upon battle and Minerva recognizes one of them. Pretty sad lol.