WORLD CUP 2014

Parrhesia

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argetina surprised me in this tournament. I did expect them to go far, since they had the easiest possibilities in the brackets. However, before the WC began, people often said "HEY THEIR OFFENSE IS A+, BUT THEY DEFENSE.... DAMN IT SUCKS".

And now we saw them conceding only one goal in the entire knockout stage, but their offense sucking balls. Tevez was a much needed man here.

KHEDIRA'S WIFE................ OH GOD

Anyway, Argentina's offense really wasn't good. Lavezzi was a 7 at best. Palacio was SHIT, Higuain was playing like Fred for most of the tournament, Aguero was battered up and Di Maria fucked

edit: what we needed was an offensive axis in good form.

lavezzi played well. palacio missed that shot.

if you only had one shot... one chance, to get everything you wanted...

WOULD YOU KICK IT WITH YOUR SHIN

it's all past anyway. i'm still proud of them.

Edited by fuccboi

I'm European 'Asian' and I liked both teams.

WOW

made relevant for me

That was a fucking tight match even though I missed the first half of it because of my fucking insomnia issues last night. Could easily have gone the other way.

But Germany are deserved champions - the only team more or less consistent from start to finish (and even then, they had scares - Ghana? Algeria?) and, I would say, the best team over the course of the tournament. But this was a tournament in which seemingly everyone had something to offer.

Brazil managing to claw their way to 'a respectable finish' despite an inferior squad, before getting utterly annihilated.

Mexico recovering from nearly losing their qualification spot to Panama and looking like a completely different team under the mentalist, Herrera.

Croatia suffering an opening-match heartbreak and the first two real controversies of the tournament.

Cameroon with the infighting and needless violence and Assou-Ekotto's amazing lineup pose.

The Dutch for that match.

Chile for proving that 'a really cool and good team' can come from seemingly nowhere.

Spain for undergoing the inevitable meltdown of degenerate possession football, while at least giving David Villa the sendoff he deserved.

Australia for overcoming the crippling loss of five or so of our best players through injury and somehow managing to almost get the better of the Dutch. If only Tommy Oar wasn't a useless cunt, we would've won 3-2.

Colombia for proving the dark horses of the tournament before choosing precisely the wrong match to burn out. All this despite losing their best player to injury.

Greece for managing to play the first actually exciting match in their history. Greece!

The Ivory Coast for bringing back the golden generation for one final run-out, foiled only by Georgios Samaras falling over.

Japan for their terrible, terrible pink-pastel stripes.

Costa Rica for being the heroic underdogs of the tournament - least- or second-least likely to progress from the group out of the entire 32 and missing one of their only two great players, they bowed out of the tournament technically undefeated.

Uruguay for Luis Suarez trying to eat a man.

Italy for providing the man whom Luis Suarez tried to eat.

England for looking utter dogshit right up until just before the tournament, suddenly unearthing hidden talent by simply using the combined squads of Liverpool and Southampton, and being shit anyway.

France for looking like the team who could really win it until very firmly and suddenly they didn't.

The Swiss for being a team made basically entirely of immigrants and, in a way, uniting the conservative, terrible nation behind them.

Ecuador for proving that they aren't just a shit team outside of a healthy attitude.

Honduras for... providing the first... use of goal-line technology. In the tournament.

Argentina for staggering through until the final, which they could well have won, and bringing us quiet matches and occasional flashes of brilliance from Messi.

Nigeria for flying the flag for Africa with a number of brave, aggressive performances. And for that guy (Emenike?) beasting Emir Spahic about eighteen times in one match.

Bosnia and Herzegovina for a decent set of performances from a set of players with often tragic backstories, such as how Asmir Begovic nearly declared for Canada.

Iran for ... that story about how they were disallowed by the FA from swapping shirts, what was with that their hot goalkeeper

Germany for being ... at the end of the day, the team that deserved to win out.

The United States for massively raising the profile of football in that country, and uniting millions of people who didn't give a damn about the sport.

Portugal for being shit, then making Americans really mad with that last-minute goal.

Ghana for promising so much and ultimately delivering so little, aside from nearly beating Germany.

Belgium for proving that programs centred around getting youth to play aggressive, tactical football pays dividends in the long run, even when you're not a real country and your league is roughly Ligue 2 standard.

Algeria for being one of the most exciting teams in the tournament. Clawing over Russia to get out of the group was a legitimate victory for good over evil.

Russia for trying to play terrible, defensive, World Cup 2010-style football, and utterly failing.

South Korea for forcing the Robert Green moment of the tournament.

It truly has been the best World Cup ever.

ac0af55bdb7e116707d99dfa03b466f2.png

350fb91cb20d65ea1e4b1445710862af.png

e7ea56bdb6b2cebdf0784b4ffefb67a2.png

Edited by Parrhesia

I was happy to see my country winning the WC, although I would grant it any other country as well.

However I'm objective enough to say that this final was much closer than I expected. Argentina had their best performance in the entire WC. They had a good defense and their counterattacks were dangerous, especially if Messi had the ball. But they didn't take the few chances. Argentina played aggresively as usual, sometimes even unfair and were lucky that two players weren't sent off with second yellow card. A masterstroke of Goetze decided this match.

Here are also a few of my impressions:

This World Cup had many surprises for us. World Champions like Spain, Italy and England failed in the group stage. Therefore some "small" football nations like Costa Rica, Columbia and Algeria surprised us and reached the last 16/8. I absolute like surprises and it shows that "everyone can beat everyone". The established nations never may underestimate these nations and have to bring their best perforance in every single match! No single team was steady during the entire WC. Algeria almost disgraced Germany. This game was a warning shot for Germany at the proper time! They improved their performance from match to match.

The orgnisation during the WC was pretty good. No huge incidents happened.

The performance of the referees was terrible overall. There was almost no single game without a huge mistake. I know, they have a hard job, but the communication between the main referee and the assistens was bad. There were many goals cancelled because of wrong offside decisions (remember first game of Mexico), some wrong penalty kick decissions (BRA-NL) and the main thing is that hardship was tolerated. Many fouls weren't punished enough or even tolerated. The referees were too liberal. They have to prevent it with early cards to safe the players.

Brazil disappointed unfortuantely their fans in their home World Cup. They got the two highest defeats in their football history. The Brazilian football has to change. Scolari is dismissed already.

The world saw a good side of Brazil for just a month. A country of happy football fans...

Though it only covered up the social abuses of the Brazilian population. The suffering and the protests of many Brazilians will continue. The WC didn't change at all this situation! A big sport or music event cannot change the social and political situation. It's only a "mask" for us neutral watchers to see the good sides of a country.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

DA IST DAS DING!!!!!!! :D

Great final, possibly the best World Cup final I've seen in my lifetime. Happy we finally won our tournament after 10 years of hard work. Was about time to reap the fruits, though ironically I didn't believe in it to happen at all before the tournament... But it's football, this sport has its fair share of things that make no sense. Matching to this, inb4: "Germany didn't win because they were the best -- they won because the best sandbagged", lol.

Also, respect to Argentina. They haven't lost the World Cup -- they won second place. Now if only that Messi madness came to an end already... I think, if other football nations can learn something from our triumph, it's that tournaments aren't taken by a select few demigod personalities but by full, solid and balanced teams. Argentina have proven that they are worthy of being accepted as one of those, no need to hide behind that one big name.

Other than that, the other thing I said before the tournament still stands: France will win the Euro 2016, coincidentally also taking place in France. Feels like they lost a lot of attention for a) being underrated as fuck and b) losing to Germany in top 8. Whatever stupid things happened in the last few years, they're legit again.

Edited by The1Weltall

what is even going on in that?

A RECAP OF THE FULLY SICK GOALS THIS WORLD CUP:

Van Persie vs Spain (flying dutchman header)

Honda vs Ivory Coast

Messi vs Bosnia & Herzegovina

Marchisio vs England

Robben vs Australia (the run, especially)

Cahill vs Netherlands

Aránguiz vs Spain (freekick and follow-up)

Gervinho vs Colombia

Suárez vs England (header)

Messi vs Iran

Jones vs Portugal

Rodríguez vs Japan

Messi vs Nigeria

Shaqiri vs Honduras (first)

Rodríguez vs Uruguay (both)

Green vs Belgium

Luiz vs Colombia

Schürrle vs Brazil

Götze vs Argentina

also noting Benzema's last minute disallowed goal against Switzerland, Mertens against Algeria, and Neymar against Croatia.

Edited by Tryhard

what is even going on in that?

A RECAP OF THE FULLY SICK GOALS THIS WORLD CUP:

Van Persie vs Spain (flying dutchman header)

Honda vs Ivory Coast

Messi vs Bosnia & Herzegovina

Robben vs Australia (the run, especially)

Cahill vs Netherlands

Aránguiz vs Spain (freekick and follow-up)

Suárez vs England (header)

Messi vs Iran

Jones vs Portugal

Rodríguez vs Japan

Messi vs Nigeria

Shaqiri vs Honduras (first)

Rodríguez vs Uruguay

Green vs Belgium

Luiz vs Colombia

Schürrle vs Brazil

Götze vs Argentina

also noting Benzema's last minute disallowed goal against Switzerland, Mertens against Algeria, and Neymar against Croatia.

Gervinho's against Colombia was pretty alpha too imo

Gervinho's against Colombia was pretty alpha too imo

I may have missed quite a few others, too. You could at least make a list of 25+ great goals from this WC.

Add Marchisio's goal against England. James Rodriguez second goal against Uruguay was a fairly nice display of team work too

Add Marchisio's goal against England. James Rodriguez second goal against Uruguay was a fairly nice display of team work too

I did now. I had it before, but I accidentally deleted it and forgot about it. I did mean both of Rodriguez vs Uruguay, too. Edited by Tryhard

IIRC the referee blew marginally before or after the cross, which was a really long one. It's an understandable mistake given France were, well, 5-2 up.

Yeah, that was nice too. The fact that it was a last minute effort also helps

ANYWAY FELLAS, WHAT ARE YOUR PREDICTIONS FOR THE BIG LEAGUES?

IIRC the referee blew marginally before or after the cross, which was a really long one. It's an understandable mistake given France were, well, 5-2 up.

But it was a beautiful goal which wasnt counted ;_;

Yeah, that was nice too. The fact that it was a last minute effort also helps

ANYWAY FELLAS, WHAT ARE YOUR PREDICTIONS FOR THE BIG LEAGUES?

Would you like someone to make a thread for general football discussions? cos i wouldnt mind that...