Do you think fe 14 will be more like others and less like awakening?

Ishi

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look like panties to me. I can see them through that white material.

but that doesn't make any sense to what she's wearing, you know what she's wearing? pants

look at under the white material, those are clearly pants EDIT: and when i say under, i mean not threw the white material, i mean below the white material where you can clearly see red pants

this ain't super hero DC Marvel land where women can have their underwear on the wrong side of their damn pants.

unless there's a new brand of panties that take the disguise of actual pants, then your clearly wrong upon further inspection

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

It's far from the same. In none of those pictures is her bust noticeably protruding out from underneath her little collar thingy like in her FE11 art. Anyway I've already admitted I was wrong, but maybe you can at least see how I got that impression.

IIRC the bonus art of Linde in Akaneia Chronicle was the real offender in that regard. -_-

I did like Awakening very much so, but I do hope it gets back with stuff such as the constitution stat, proper fund management, and an awesome main storyline.
And I REALLY hope the reclass system is dummied out, in Shadow Dragon it was pratical, but in Awakening it's plain unbalanced, the classes are also unbalanced. Assassins with lethality, Sol, Luna, and Astra, Lancebreaker to boot.

Edited by Arrout

I'm inclined to agree with that. ^

I'm not super familiar with how reclassing worked in Shadow Dragon, but from what I hear, it sounds loads better, actually (at least in terms of grind time... ugh. Jagens would still be screwed longterm but meh that's a price I'm willing to pay)

I hope the FE14's gameplay isn't like Awakening, not that I disliked Awakening's gameplay, but rather would see something more in line with the original series, with a bit of innovation added. Awakening's fine, but other than 'FE4: Remake', I don't want the marriage system returning, for example.

As for artist, I don't want the artist from FE9/10 to come back, they done an amazing job and created some really great character designs for even unimportant characters. With that said, the same artist was used for 2 games in a row (I think they also reused an artist to do FE4/5?), which is fine, but I'd rather see something fresh instead. For FE14, I hope the hire a new artist or go with the popular Miwa Shirou who done Lyn's DLC for Awakening. I'm fine if they use a DLC artist as long as they haven't already done the art for any of the main games.

wrt the art it partially depends on who they hire as the artist, really. Shirou Masamune is a terrible artist who doesn't know how to draw properly which contributed to the awfulness of some of the SD art. The artist who did the sidestory characters for SD and New Mystery, on the other hand, is not Shirou Masamune, and is actually really competent. I'm not entirely fond of his faces, but that's more of a stylistic thing than anything. In regards to Kozaki, I feel as an artist he's fairly competent, but he does have a history of oversexed designs. He's not solely responsible, however, as much of awakening's designs are based off the class designs that got thrown at him, and whoever did those (I believe it's the art director, soooo) are just as much to blame if not more.

@miwa shirou: I'd like that. I don't know much about this person but they did a great job on Lyn's design, honestly. Given the limitations of having to fit the class designs (granted SM fits Lyn's outfit pretty well anyway) they managed to incorporate Lyn's original design in very well, unlike a lot of other ones, even the better ones, where it looks cool but doesn't really fit the character well. I've seen a sketch for an alternate Lyn as well, and I also really liked that one. On the other hand, I wonder why they don't go find new talent over at pixiv. Some of the artists there do astounding fan work and if they don't have a job, they might like a job offer by a company who makes something they love. If I was a good enough artist (certainly better than Shirou Masamune at least!) and if IS contacted me and offered me a job, I'd totally take it.

I don't really mind swimsuit DLC if the main game outfits are sensible and it's equal opportunity. It's got fanservice right on the label (giving the context for it) and it's optional content. As long all genders gets it I'm okay.

Mechanically, whatever's fun, I'm game (hur). Please have better characterisation and less repetitive supports next time.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I think they should bring back personal skills (ala FE4, 5, 9, and 10) instead of class skills. Gives each character a bit more personality to them.

I would personally like to see the return of personal skills and class-locked skills(i.e. skills that don't transfer with a class change).

Let's just say that I wouldn't be shocked if both pair-up and swimsuit DLC return in the next game...

Wouldn't mind this if the regular designs aren't so ridiculous as in Awakening. Let people who want it have their cheesecake.

Ah, dang it. I completely forgot about the DLC. Now that they know that they can get away with it, I am sure that Nintendo will demand that it is going to be abused even more with the next game. Maybe with massive level gaps between individual chapters and no money to work with so that people have to spend either days farming on those 2 random encounters that the game grants on a day or just in 10 minutes with some one of those totally optional DLC chapters in order to actually do anything.

Maybe that's a bit too cynic but If nothing else the DLC will at least prevent that the next game could possibly be linear.

Edited by BrightBow

Ah, dang it. I completely forgot about the DLC. Now that they know that they can get away with it, I am sure that Nintendo will demand that it is going to be abused even more with the next game. Maybe with massive level gaps between individual chapters and no money to work with so that people have to spend either days farming on those 2 random encounters that the game grants on a day or just in 10 minutes with some one of those totally optional DLC chapters in order to actually do anything.

Honestly, that would probably result in worse sales, and therefore less money even after you count the dlc. Nintendo is aware of this, and are smart enough to put image over a quick buck (i know this because of their policy that no no on-disc dlc will be paid.) Their policy is to use paid dlc like expansion packs, which should not be necessary to the core experience.

Edited by sirmola

Honestly, that would probably result in worse sales, and therefore less money even after you count the dlc. Nintendo is aware of this, and are smart enough to put image over a quick buck (i know this because of their policy that no no on-disc dlc will be paid.) Their policy is to use paid dlc like expansion packs, which should not be necessary to the core experience.

It didn't hurt them with Awakening. They introduced tedious grinding just so that they could sell a way to shorten the time on has to grind (of course random encounters are already limited and with them a reliable way to earn money). Even with munchkining, you have to spend hours to do what a DLC buyer does in like five minutes. And from what I heard, it was similar in NSM2, with DLCs levels that served to beat the "challenge" (aka "tedium" and yes, they advertised the 1m coin collection with the term "challenge") of getting 1 million coins faster. You are paying with real money so that you need to spend less time playing the game.

If they went this far, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't try to go further. I expect the worst.

Edited by BrightBow

Maybe that's a bit too cynic but If nothing else the DLC will at least prevent that the next game could possibly be linear.

That doesn't even remotely sound like what they've ever been doing. If you take Shadow Dragon, New Mystery and Awakening you can see the trend is that they've widened the difficulty settings range that difference between the lowest and highest settings are greater and even added in a casual mode with no perma-death which is the last thing they should do if they really wanted to try customers into buying DLC.

It's definitely cynical because it sounds like you expect the absolute worst for no good reason.

Edited by arvilino

That doesn't even remotely sound like what they've ever been doing. If you take Shadow Dragon, New Mystery and Awakening you can see the trend is that they've widened the difficulty settings range that difference between the lowest and highest settings are greater and even added in a casual mode with no perma-death which is the last thing they should do if they really wanted to try customers into buying DLC.

It's definitely cynical because it sounds like you expect the absolute worst for no good reason.

That's nice and all but has nothing to do with what I said, namely that they sold essentially cheat codes to bypass restrictions that they put into the game in the first place..

It didn't hurt them with Awakening. They introduced tedious grinding just so that they could sell a way to shorten the time on has to grind (of course random encounters are already limited and with them a reliable way to earn money). Even with munchkining, you have to spend hours to do what a DLC buyer does in like five minutes. And from what I heard, it was similar in NSM2, with DLCs levels that served to beat the "challenge" (aka "tedium" and yes, they advertised the 1m coin collection with the term "challenge") of getting 1 million coins faster. You are paying with real money so that you need to spend less time playing the game.

If they went this far, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't try to go further. I expect the worst.

The thing is, one never needs to grind in Awakening in the first place. The only thing grinding might be needed for is other DLC packs, specifically Apotheosis (even Future Past can be done with a team used throughout the main game). Grinding your teams up is pointless otherwise.

If grinding was actually important, you might have a point. And at least on lower difficulties, I'm pretty sure free spotpass teams give reasonable experience.

That's nice and all but has nothing to do with what I said, namely that they sold essentially cheat codes to bypass restrictions that they put into the game in the first place..

What restrictions? You can make the game as easy (Normal, Casual) or hard (Lunatic, Classic),(Lunatic+, casual or classic) as you like.

You're trying to suggest they'll go from what is least restrictive game in the series to the point it has a mode which removes permadeath to:

Maybe with massive level gaps between individual chapters and no money to work with so that people have to spend either days farming on those 2 random encounters that the game grants on a day or just in 10 minutes with some one of those totally optional DLC chapters in order to actually do anything.

What you're describing here would have to be Normal Casual mode equivalent for it even to be true. There is no good reason to suggest that they'd somehow jack up Normal mode in FE14 on casual to above FE12 or FE13's Lunatic Classic mode difficulty, just to sell DLC(when it sold pretty well itself in FE13 while being unnecessary without basically rendering it in a state that would give it the lowest review scores imaginable).

Edited by arvilino

The thing is, one never needs to grind in Awakening in the first place. The only thing grinding might be needed for is other DLC packs, specifically Apotheosis (even Future Past can be done with a team used throughout the main game). Grinding your teams up is pointless otherwise.

If grinding was actually important, you might have a point. And at least on lower difficulties, I'm pretty sure free spotpass teams give reasonable experience.

Yes, it's not needed to beat the main plot. And that would be okay if the game would actually end with the main plot. But Awakening is open ended.

There is nothing to do but optimizing the team. But with absurd high caps, infinite reclassing and expensive forges, the game invites you to do just that. But it all costs money which the game provides like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest provides hourglasses: You have no choice but to in real time before getting any. Not quite as bad since there are a few ways to munchkin yourself forward. But it is at least no different then if Nintendo would sell rare or even impossible to obtain Pokemon for money because they are technically not requited to beat the Elite Four and get to the end credits. They just spare hours of real life time which suddenly don't feel so well spend anymore, knowing that a shortcut like that exist.

The point is that companies should never get money simply to bypass tedious and boring parts of the game because then they will put tedious and boring parts into the game so they can sell you the shortcuts to whatever price they think they can get away with. If people don't see a problem in that just then I do feel quite justified believing that we will in fact see worse then what Nintendo did with Awakening.

Edited by BrightBow

Yes, it's not needed to beat the main plot. And that would be okay if the game would actually end with the main plot. But Awakening is open ended.

There is nothing to do but optimizing the team. But with absurd high caps, infinite reclassing and expensive forges, the game invites you to do just that. But it all costs money which the game provides like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest provides hourglasses: You have no choice but to in real time before getting any. Not quite as bad since there are a few ways to munchkin yourself forward. But it is at least no different then if Nintendo would sell rare or even impossible to obtain Pokemon for money because they are technically not requited to beat the Elite Four and get to the end credits. They just spare hours of real life time which suddenly don't feel so well spend anymore, knowing that a shortcut like that exist.

The point is that companies should never get money simply to bypass tedious and boring parts of the game because then they will put tedious and boring parts into the game so they can sell you the shortcuts. If people don't see a problem in that just because it could be worse, then I do feel quite justified believing that Nintendo will in fact do worse then what we see in Awakening.

Or you could, you know, let the game be over. Your problem here is that one might have to pay extra to help with other paid extras after the game is already beaten. And it's not like the DLC in the game is just microtransaction gold or weapons, it's actual maps, real game content that only needs to be paid for once. I'm not a fan of DLC in general, but this is the best kind of DLC there is.

You make it sound like hitting those caps for the sake of hitting caps is even important, you don't need it to beat the game on the lower difficulties and there's so many enemies on the higher difficulties you'll probably hit it anyway, the only time it really matters is with beating other DLC aka extra content

I'm perfectly happy to have a main game beatable without DLC/grinding, the series functioned fine without extra postgame content so I don't care if the postgame content is paid or not; It's a nice little bonus for people who like that stuff. I'm more annoyed at the only decent writing in this game is in the DLC than anything, that should be in the main game imo because we know they're fucking capable of it

Sounds like you're annoyed by extra optional content tbh

There's things that Awakening does pretty terribly. Its DLC model, however, assuming it'll keep on going in this direction, is not one of them.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Or you could, you know, let the game be over. Your problem here is that one might have to pay extra to help with other paid extras after the game is already beaten. And it's not like the DLC in the game is just microtransaction gold or weapons, it's actual maps, real game content that only needs to be paid for once. I'm not a fan of DLC in general, but this is the best kind of DLC there is.

I am well aware that the DLC of Awakening does not only consist of cheat codes. But I am not talking about Awakening. I am talking about the future games and how they might look like going by the direction we see in Awakening.

And for that, the mere fact that there are some cheat codes while at the same time the ways to get gold without it are artificially restricted is troubling enough. I mean, how many JRPGs that make random encounters dependent on real time instead of traveling time or game time do you know? And why should it be that way?

But yes, I don't think what Awakening is doing is okay. They created an open ended world but limited the fuel that allow you to travel it. We are not taking about some Free-to-play game here, where the entire business model is designed around giving people the game for free but requiring them money to actually do anything. We are talking about a game that already costs like 50€ at base.

I don't see why I shouldn't be able to grind as much as I like on any difficulty I like in a game that I paid this much money for. And if the scaled enemies and increased prices of the Reeking Boxes are part of the difficulty, then why does the DLC still need no game money to access it or have the stats of the enemies capped?

The amount of gold is just a single variable. Changing that variable it is not something that Nintendo or anyone else should get more money for because that act has no actual value. In fact, it took effort for them to have a gold mechanic instead of simply leaving it to the player to decide how many weapons they want to get. It's really no different then my Pokemon example above. Or maybe an example with actual money: How about Sim City? Imagine you can build any city you like but are limited to your starting capital without DLC.

Edited by BrightBow

The old FEs don't even have grinding

FE doesn't need grinding

This FE doesn't need grinding

The next FE will not need grinding unless they seriously jack up the difficulty to above L+ on normal

it is optional content

It's there because the devs are nice enough to let you do

It's welcoming to newer players who may not be as skilled as veterans

But it's entirely optional

Edited by Thor Odinson

The old FEs don't even have grinding

ORLY?

• FE8's Tower of Valni
  • Any FE with an arena
  • In Radiant Dawn Chapter 4-5, Izuka will summon 4 random laguz each turn, for 25 turns. That's 100 reinforcements that you can use to grind on, as well as all the starting enemies.

So much for "the old FE's don't even have grinding"...

Edited by NinjaMonkey