Letters and Sprites

Silent Letters

Hey, thanks for stopping by! So, I've only started to make sprites and I don't think I'm very good yet (I'm not doing anything besides splicing and recoloring, after all.) But I figured I'd post what I've got so far and keep going.

Comments and criticisms are all welcome!

Mugs

5ZDhAdD.pnguB6DtdC.png

Sprites

69JsZwP.png

The blond man's neck wasn't finished and his hairline is messed up. Splice the whole hair from Wil again.

The brunette's hairline is messed up, you should splice it from Geitz again. Also, his colors are very saturated and the green's tint and shade have too much contrast.

I like the cleanliness of your sprites. I think you can do well in the future.

A good idea is to stick to the colours of other mugs until you figure out palettes yourself (first mugs colours seem fine, but the second and the battle sprite's both don't have the correct amount of saturation and shading difference). For mugs, stick to only FE 8 or FE 6/7 colours, as the latter are much less saturated.

The blond man's neck wasn't finished and his hairline is messed up. Splice the whole hair from Wil again.

The brunette's hairline is messed up, you should splice it from Geitz again. Also, his colors are very saturated and the green's tint and shade have too much contrast.

I like the cleanliness of your sprites. I think you can do well in the future.

I admit, I didn't see what you were talking about with the first mug's neck at first, until I saw that his neck was abnormally skinny. That was kind of a silly mistake for me to make.

I do definitely see what you mean regarding hairlines and saturated colors, though.

A good idea is to stick to the colours of other mugs until you figure out palettes yourself (first mugs colours seem fine, but the second and the battle sprite's both don't have the correct amount of saturation and shading difference). For mugs, stick to only FE 8 or FE 6/7 colours, as the latter are much less saturated.

Yeah, palettes and shading are harder than I thought they would be. Would you happen to have any advice on learning that, or does it just come down to practice?

Study existing ones. You can kind of understand the spacing between RGB of each shade, and the spacing between the shades. Other than that, it's just having an experienced eye.But yeah, I'd recommend starting out just using existing palettes (as in grabbing the 3 or 4, typically, shades for the colour you want. The whole palette doesn't have to be from the same mug. I think you get it.)

I like the concept of the right one. Here's some advice:

You're using a pitch black outline, and mixing FE8 colours with FE7 colours (specifically in the face). You should use either one or the other and use the outline colour from the one you choose.

The cloak is way too bright, and perhaps could do with another darker shade.

Also the left bang is oddly shaped.

Overall though, you're sprites are clean, well done :D

• 1 month later...