• Leaf's Father Quan
    • Roy's Father Eliwood
    • Eliwood's Father Elbert
    • Ike's Father Greil
    • Chrom's crazy father who I think remained unnamed
    • Erikia and Ephraim's father Fado
    • Celice's father Sigurd
    • Alm's father Rudolf

Continuing on from my thread on who was the best Lord's sister, I ask you who is the best father of our Lords. Unlike sisters, fathers aren't usually playable charaters outside of trial maps however they do have one other distinct trait in that they usually die. Eliwood being the only exception we've seen so far.

Once again you can vote using any criteria you want. As unit (where applicable), design, role in story, potential of the base concept etc. I also still have not played Gaiden so I don't know what situation Alm and Celicia are in.

And because I'm a half assed twit I forgot about Sigurd and Fado leaving them at the bottom of the poll. Don't over look them and don't forget Cornelius was an asshole in the OVA.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you included Chrom's father, where's Ephraim and Eirika's dad Fado? :P

I have to say Eliwood and Greil though. Eliwood because he's Eliwood and freaking awesome and Greil because of his well-thought out and tragic, but interesting history. This guy was like the greatest general Daein ever had and he trained the Black Knight, but then he STOLE Lehran's Medallion from Ashnard, married Elena, then they escaped to Gallia, made Ike and Mist, and then Greil accidentally touched the medallion, went crazy berserk, KILLED his own wife, and also killed a bunch of other people. He then slit his sword arm so he couldn't wield a sword again, but continued being a warrior by becoming a mercenary and forming the Greil Mercenaries. That's just really wow, man.

Also, Sigurd himself should be an option in the poll, cause isn't he Seliph's dad?

Edited by Anacybele

If you included Chrom's father, where's Ephraim and Eirika's dad Fado? :P

I have to say Eliwood and Greil though. Eliwood because he's Eliwood and freaking awesome and Greil because of his well-thought out and tragic, but interesting history. This guy was like the greatest general Daein ever had and he trained the Black Knight, but then he STOLE Lehran's Medallion from Ashnard, married Elena, then they escaped to Gallia, made Ike and Mist, and then Greil accidentally touched the medallion, went crazy berserk, KILLED his own wife, and also killed a bunch of other people. He then slit his sword arm so he couldn't wield a sword again, but continued being a warrior by becoming a mercenary and forming the Greil Mercenaries. That's just really wow, man.

Gah forgot about Sacred Stones entirely. I'll add him in now. Sorry guys.

I guess it has to be Greil.

Now for the most part, the fathers are people who the story needs to get out of the way so that we can have our young princes take charge. One could say that Greil demonstrates this better then most.

But the thing that sets Greil above the others is that the impact he had on Ike and the kind of person he grew up too was well explored. That's not something you can say about anyone else on this list. Just try.

And beyond that, he is a pretty cool character too. As we learn over the course of the Telius games, the impact he had on the world is not only made through the game's protagonist. Whether he was known as Gawain, Greil, Commander, General or father, he affected many people throughout is life. He is way bigger then merely being a parent and mentor of the Hero of the Blue Flame.

Edited by BrightBow

Alm's father Rudolf is also missing.

Anyway, I'd have to say Sigurd is the best of the lot. Sigurd was thrown in one terrible situation after another, and each time he tried doing the right thing. He was later repaid for his efforts by being framed for treason, burned alive, and having his amnesiac wife (who, due to her amnesia, had married the man who killed Sigurd) paraded in front of him shortly before his death. Sigurd is also unique in that players actually get to experience his exploits firsthand instead of reading about them in a cutscene.

I consider Cuan the next best for essentially being Sigurd-lite. I'd also have to give props to Rudolf for being a unique twist on the usual formula even if Gaiden's story is thin as paper.

Anyway, I'd have to say Sigurd is the best of the lot. Sigurd was thrown in one terrible situation after another, and each time he tried doing the right thing. He was later repaid for his efforts by being framed for treason, burned alive, and having his amnesiac wife (who, due to her amnesia, had married the man who killed Sigurd) paraded in front of him shortly before his death. Sigurd is also unique in that players actually get to experience his exploits firsthand instead of reading about them in a cutscene.

I consider Cuan the next best for essentially being Sigurd-lite. I'd also have to give props to Rudolf for being a unique twist on the usual formula even if Gaiden's story is thin as paper.

As I said in my opening post, I haven't played Gaiden so I know little about Alm. One quick search for him though shows me he's a major antagonist, which frankly I think is awesome. I'll have to play Gaiden sometime soon.

That part about Sigurd is more about himself than his role as a father to Seliph. I think the characters in the poll should be judge purely as their role as fathers.

I do like Rudolf though. Him being Alm's father is a part of what he does.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Rudolf is certainly a different take on the Lord's father.

Anyway, as much as I do like Quan I have to vote for Eliwood, who at least survived to be a dad to Roy and possibly a grand-dad to Roy's kids, an honor the rest of these guys can't claim. And Roy turned out quite well, so props to Eliwood there. Also he's a class act who managed his canton pretty well. Yay Eliwood.

Frankly I don't see how it can be anyone but Greil, given the reasons BrightBow provided.

However, 2nd best best is more interesting. Elbert and Eliwood are pretty cool for this, and we have Sigurd too (though I'm not sure how much Sigurd qualifies, as he wasn't much of an actual father).

Seeing Chrom's dad in the list reminded me of the cool sounding stories of Ylisse going on crusades and ruining everyone's day. That sounded awesome and I'm sad it was never explored or given detail.

Eliwood doesn't die in any of the GAMES, yes, but isn't he still ill at the end of FE6? He could've died of that illness later. :P

Everyone dies sometime. Point is Eliwood managed to make it out of the narrative alive which is quite an achievement as far as father's go in the Fire Emblem universe.

True, that is true. Not even Hector lasted long in FE6 if I recall what I read about the game right. I guess IS just found the idea of killing them both off to be a little...well, overkill. Haha. XD

It's debatable but I personally wouldn't but Lucina on the same level of lord as the other lords mentioned.

so what

that doesn't not make her a lord