• Leaf's Father Quan
    • Roy's Father Eliwood
    • Eliwood's Father Elbert
    • Ike's Father Greil
    • Chrom's crazy father who I think remained unnamed
    • Erikia and Ephraim's father Fado
    • Celice's father Sigurd
    • Alm's father Rudolf

Sigurd is best dad because he's the only playable one in the same game as his kid.

Plus it actually feels like a father-son relationship unlike Quan->Leif because the two just know each other by name.

Edited by Harmonie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT: Honestly, this is a tough choice for me, between Greil, Elbert, Eliwood and Byron. Byron may have had little development, but seeing him dying on the plains of his home country is quite effective IMO, I think he contributes well to the drama of FE4 despite his short role. Greil is a pretty cool character, although it's pretty obvious he'll die at some point in the story, but his death is a great motivator for FE9's plot. Eliwood is one of my favourite lords, but judging him by his role as a father, he's pretty shallow in FE6. I think Elbert's death impacted me more than Greil's did, mostly because it isn't as predictable. It could be just my FE7 fanboyishness, but I think Elbert is my favourite, he's a kind old man who tried to cheer up some kids suffering through the worst and saved his son's life before passing on, probably the most noble death any character has had in these games.

EDIT: I'd like to say I have changed my opinion on Eliwood, he's a terrible father.

Edited by Knight

• 2 weeks later...

Tough call but I'm actually going to go with Rudolph (although the fact that he's Alms' father is supposed to be a MASSIVE SPOILER). Without giving too much away, Rudolph is an excellent plot twist and a complicated character and fighting him marks Gaiden's biggest turning point. I say all of this in the context of an NES game narrative, which is one of the reasons I'd like to see a Gaiden remake so much: there's a huge amount of untapped and underutilised potential in Gaiden.

(although the fact that he's Alms' father is supposed to be a MASSIVE SPOILER).

I doubt there's anyone out there waiting to experience Gaiden's story with bated breath, so it's not such a big deal. And this whole topic is spoiler bait besides.

I've noticed people pointing out that Sigurd wasn't much of a father towards Seliph, but unlike most of the daddies here, he actually took care of him to around the time he was 2. By himself. While he was fighting a war.

And based on what we see, he's actually very loving towards him, and refuses to continue the war unless Oifey took him to safety.

Also, Seliph does meet him as a spirit, so there's that.

Aside from Sigurd, Elbert and Greil come to mind.

I've noticed people pointing out that Sigurd wasn't much of a father towards Seliph, but unlike most of the daddies here, he actually took care of him to around the time he was 2. By himself. While he was fighting a war.

And based on what we see, he's actually very loving towards him, and refuses to continue the war unless Oifey took him to safety.

I don't think any one is criticizing Sigurd ability as a father. It just happens that he, unlike the others, never got the chance to be a proper father.

True, that is true. Not even Hector lasted long in FE6 if I recall what I read about the game right. I guess IS just found the idea of killing them both off to be a little...well, overkill. Haha. XD

Hector dies in Chapter 3.

Personally, I pick Eliwood. Fangirl Bias aside, he is the only one who makes it to the end of his kid's game, and he went on to get his own game. I'm obligated.

Were you refering to me?

I was saying that people should judge fathers for their roles as fathers, not as characters themselves. Sigurd is an interesting character but people shouldn't be saying he's the best father because he's the best unit in the game or something or Eliwood for making it through to the end. Eliwood's survival till the end doesn't realy say about him as a father, does it?

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

I was saying that people should judge fathers for their roles as fathers, not as characters themselves. Sigurd is an interesting character but people shouldn't be saying he's the best father because he's the best unit in the game or something or Eliwood for making it through to the end. Eliwood's survival till the end doesn't realy say about him as a father, does it?

That's where I'm getting at. I wouldn't vote for Sigurd just because he could solo his own game and that his death made me pissed.

Personally, I pick Eliwood. Fangirl Bias aside, he is the only one who makes it to the end of his kid's game, and he went on to get his own game. I'm obligated.

But Eliwood is just kinda there. He lacks any real presence in 6, and everything he does in 7 has nothing to do with him being a good father. All that we can infer is that Roy is a good kid and we can assume Eliwood had something to do with it.

We can also assume the same thing with Cornelius, Greil, Byron, and Fado. The only difference is that Eliwood never died on-screen.

Eliwood does a terrible job at being a father, he just lets his 15 year old son rampage across the country slaying dragons and toppling countries. At least other fathers had the excuse of absence or being MURDERED at the time. I don't mind Eliwood as a character in his own game but Eliwood as a dad is the least responsible parent of all time.

Eliwood does a terrible job at being a father, he just lets his 15 year old son rampage across the country slaying dragons and toppling countries. At least other fathers had the excuse of absence or being MURDERED at the time. I don't mind Eliwood as a character in his own game but Eliwood as a dad is the least responsible parent of all time.

You're judging him by modern standards of coming of age. 15 is as good as an adult for them.

You're judging him by modern standards of coming of age. 15 is as good as an adult for them.

Knighthood never came until 18 years of age, regardless of being considered an adult (at least in English chivalry). Although young nobles would lead small armies, I would think they'd choose someone older and of higher class to lead an entire nation to war. (maybe justified with Hector's death and Eliwood's illness, but still, is there no one else in the entire nation?)

Edited by Knight

Knighthood never came until 18 years of age, regardless of being considered an adult (at least in English chivalry). Although young nobles would lead small armies, I would think they'd choose someone older and of higher class to lead an entire nation to war. (maybe justified with Hector's death and Eliwood's illness, but still, is there no one else in the entire nation?)

Samurai boys came of age earlier, no later than 16 according to our modern reckoning. Samurai women came of age earlier than that. I think you can see that influence pretty clearly in Thracia 776, wherein 15-yr-old Leif and 14-yr-old Nanna are considered as adults for the purposes of waging war and/or recruiting Homeros.

Anyway, explains all these 15/16 year old Lords pretty neatly.

Samurai boys came of age earlier, no later than 16 according to our modern reckoning. Samurai women came of age earlier than that. I think you can see that influence pretty clearly in Thracia 776, wherein 15-yr-old Leif and 14-yr-old Nanna are considered as adults for the purposes of waging war and/or recruiting Homeros.

Anyway, explains all these 15/16 year old Lords pretty neatly.

The weird part about the Homer example is that Nanna (14) will still be the youngest member in the group at the time. So he will nevertheless refer to older characters like Mareeta (15) as children.

Edited by BrightBow

I have no doubt that youths would fight in times of serious war, I just doubt they'd be given a commanding position in head of an entire nation's army.

Edited by Knight

Were you refering to me?

The only "father" I can think off that can be judged that way was like Cuan(LETS TAKE OUR DAUGHTER TO A DESERT WHEN A DRAGON KNIGHT IS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO ShadowbladeinitateintoSTUN AMBUSH US tier) Greil(never play tha gem :() and like Finn(50:50 and too vague)

One of these does not belong....

The only "father" I can think off that can be judged that way was like Cuan(LETS TAKE OUR DAUGHTER TO A DESERT WHEN A DRAGON KNIGHT IS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO ShadowbladeinitateintoSTUN AMBUSH US tier) Greil(never play tha gem :() and like Finn(50:50 and too vague)

Actually it was Ethlyn that decided to take Altena along.

Yeah Cuan was actually pretty against bringing Altena. Ethlyn just wouldn't go home when she was told to.

I stand corrected

I dunno why Ethlyn is going with Cuan though

For true love and all that jazz. Unfortunately through love for a spouse that puts her daughter in overwhelming danger. Ethlyn's probably one of the worst mothers in the series from what we've seen of her technique.

Eliwood or Greil for me. Greil because all things considered, he did have his children's best interest at heart. Eliwood because he's a really nice guy, and seems to be exactly the same when he grows up.

Yeah Cuan was actually pretty against bringing Altena. Ethlyn just wouldn't go home when she was told to.

They both come across pretty terribly in that scene as far as responsible parenting was. Cuan might be sensible enough to know bringing Altena was a crap idea but he doesn't actually accomplish convincing his wife to turn around and not take a kid into a war zone. Also apparently he had no idea what Ethlyn was even planning until it was waaaay too late. I realize that scene is purely a set-up to get them ambushed but man, they don't come off well. No gold stars for parenting for those two.

They both come across pretty terribly in that scene as far as responsible parenting was. Cuan might be sensible enough to know bringing Altena was a crap idea but he doesn't actually accomplish convincing his wife to turn around and not take a kid into a war zone. Also apparently he had no idea what Ethlyn was even planning until it was waaaay too late. I realize that scene is purely a set-up to get them ambushed but man, they don't come off well. No gold stars for parenting for those two.

Well they were actually meant to be at the boarder of leinster when the scene starts so it was more like she was going as far as she could to see him off without getting into a war zone and then without his permission going a tiny but further. Then they were under ambush and couldn't really turn back. I don't think the scene was meant to be half a continent from home with Cuan suddenly realizing his wife and child were there. If it's pretty much in Thracia then the blame goes squarely on Ethlyn's lap in my opinion.